Hughes slams Wenger over handshake refusal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes slams Wenger over handshake refusal

Mark Hughes has called on Arsene Wenger to be ''more gracious'' in defeat after the Arsenal manager watched his side bow out of the Carling Cup to Manchester City - then refused to shake hands with his opposite number.

GettyImages
    The Frenchman walked straight down the tunnel.

Wenger refused to reveal exactly what had upset him, sarcastically replying that ''I have no professional courtesy'' when it was suggested that was how a post-match handshake was viewed.
    However, it seemed the Frenchman had been wound up by Hughes wandering into his technical area during the first half, which led to an angry exchange between the pair. And Hughes, celebrating a semi-final appearance against Manchester United next month following a fine 3-0 win over the Gunners, suggested Wenger should have reacted slightly differently in defeat.
    ''At one point I was over on his side of the technical area and he seemed to be a bit aggrieved by that,'' said Hughes. ''But I think he is probably more aggrieved because he got beaten.
    ''I have been to the Emirates Stadium and been beaten 6-2 but I still offered my hand at the end. It is the least you can do. 'I am a little bit disappointed in that respect. You should be a bit more gracious than that because it is unnecessary.
    ''We all hurt when we get beaten. No-one is more upset than me. But you should always offer your hand.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ngland&cc=5901
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

is this the class, or lack thereof, that Paul Marin speaks about?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

poor behaviour....dunno why he wouldn't shake hands but on the face of it...poor behaviour.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        poor behaviour....dunno why he wouldn't shake hands but on the face of it...poor behaviour.

What do you expect from Wenger? He's a loser and doesnt accept any kind of responsibility when his team loses. He's always been full of excuses in the media. Its poor sportmanship on his part.

The same thing occured last season in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between Orlando Magic and Cleveland Cavs. LeBron James refused to shake hands wit Orlando players after the Cavs were eliminated from tha playoffs.

Comment

i do expect better and the man has won FA cu and premier league titles so it is a completely false statement to say he is a loser.....how many premiership managers have won the EPL title or even the fA cup for that matter? none of which excuses being a sore loser!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Watched the game last night.....

Boys among men--like the Chelsea game. Arsenal's time is not yet come. Too much inexperience at critical points od play.

Wright-Phillips(sp?) goal will be showed over and over on the major football networks. It was a spectacular shot!!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

well you shake hand not for symbolism but if you mean it. The man did not want to shake mark hughes hand. Huges on the other hand has a short memory... He should remember when the media and the man city fans was after his scalp and linking Arnse for the job and the great one said they already have a good coach in Huges he just needs time... he drop the argument..

Comment

Dem only business bout class when its good for Arsenal. Typical brat antics from Wenger.

Comment

ok, correction - as you said, he is a sore loser!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X