FIFA chief wants football in summer months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA chief wants football in summer months

<H2></H2><SPAN>First Published: Dec 04, 2006</SPAN> <DIV class=pictureCaption style="FLOAT: left; WIDTH: 187px">

FIFA boss Joseph Blatter, seen here 01 December 2006, called for the European football calendar to be overhauled allowing clubs to play championship matches in the warmer summer months.</DIV>

FIFA boss Joseph Blatter called for the European football calendar to be overhauled allowing clubs to play championship matches in the warmer summer months.

"I've already proposed that clubs play in summer so that the season follows the calendar. You play in the summer during the two warmest months of the year and take a winter break," Blatter told the German bi-weekly Kicker magazine.

"The season would go from February to November. It would allow for a longer recuperation period and for qualification matches (European championships and World Cup) to be played in the winter.

"The big European clubs back this idea," explained the boss of world football's governing body.

Meanwhile, Blatter insisted that the complaint from major clubs that there were too many international matches "was a uniquely European problem".

"On all other continents there are pre-qualification matches, why not in Europe?" asked Blatter.

"That would mean that everyone has the chance to play against a big team."

Blatter added that he was in favour of an increase in qualification groups for the European championships.

"We have seven groups with seven teams and twelve matches for each participant," explained Blatter of the Euro 2008 qualifiers. "If we had twelve groups, there would be less of a problem."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: FIFA chief wants football in summer months

World cup during the winter? Is Blatter crazy? Yes, teams from the tropical climates would be affected, but more importantlywould such attractions be available during the winter season?

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, you picked a bad example as that crisas is from "down under" - which means that football in the "winter" for her would be in the summer - so she could only wear that in our winter. Anyway - I understand your point. The advantage to having the calendar as Blatter suggests is that the world would have a unified calendar and manyNorthern European clubs have to suspend play during the winter because of the harsh conditions they experience...this is not the case in mediterranean countries and England. Personally, I would like to see everybody on the same calendar, but I don't think I would like the World Cup in January. So for me, him can do it as long as he has a satisfactory answer to the World Cup issue...which I have yet to see. By the way - Manure might be at the top of the table, but there is still plenty football left to play...as for Europe...Benfica might have something to say about your chances. Good luck. Naaah...a joke me a mek
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Well, is long time I wanted to find a way to post a picture in this forum, but the deletist them naah play. Now its related to football, dem not suppose to touch it.

Maybe you misunderstand it ... maybe I did ... the world cup was in Germany ... the point I was trying to make is a winter world cup in Germany would deny us the eye candy.

By the way ... Gamma, whey the pictah dem deh?

Comment

Working...
        X