RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rafa steals 2 Barca Coach and King Kenny to build the youth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafa steals 2 Barca Coach and King Kenny to build the youth.

Kenny's Academy mission

4th Dec 2009 - Features

It's a warm morning in early November and the ball has just been forced out of play during an under-11s match at Liverpool Football Club's Academy.

Related Links

An interested observer stops it in its tracks before nonchalantly clipping a pass straight to the feet of the youngster taking the throw-in.
    It's an incident that recurs game after game on the thousands of playing fields across the city, but on this occasion it is not your average bystander.
    This time it's Kenny Dalglish, the undisputed King of the Kop and it's a moment that will probably remain with the lad for the rest of his life.
    "Ah Kenny, you've not lost it have you," shouts the young red, much to the amusement of the club's new Academy Ambassador.
    Fast forward to the present and the legendary number seven is sat at his office desk in the club's youth base in Kirkby recounting just one of many amusing tales since his return to his spiritual home.
    "The wee man's reaction was brilliant and it really made me chuckle," he tells Liverpoolfc.tv, concluding the type of anecdote that is sure to bring a smile to the faces of those familiar with both Kenny's innate ability with a ball and his dry wit.
    "It's just great to be in and around it again," he continues. "Obviously this project is still in its infancy but it's really exciting. Rafa has taken control of the Academy and he's now directing it in the way he wants it to go forward.
    "He has appointed Frank McParland as the Academy director and also brought in two Spanish coaches in Pep (Segura) and Rodolfo (Borrell). One of his decisions was to bring myself back into the club and I have to say it's been really enjoyable so far."
    Dalglish returned to the club he served with such distinction - as both a player and a manager - in July this year.
    His unveiling as the Reds' new Academy Ambassador was hailed as a masterstroke by supporters, a position that also sees him play an active role with the commercial side of the business.
    "I suppose I go where I'm asked to go," he says when we ask him how he juggles the dual responsibility. "I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'll offer my opinion and try and help as much I can.
    "The commercial department has really grown since Ian Ayre has come in and that has culminated in the announcement of Standard Chartered taking over the sponsorship next season. So it's going well.
    "As for the Academy, well it's great to see the kids enjoy their coaching so much. It's refreshing and a joy to come to work here."
    The chance for a young hopeful to showcase his talents under the watchful eye of Dalglish is sure to inspire that extra bit of motivation.
    Indeed, bumping into a Liverpool legend in the Academy canteen or sharing a bit of banter in the corridor is the type of priceless experience that could be crucial in helping to attract the cream of the nation's talent.
    So has he been able to convince the next Steven Gerrard that his future lies at Anfield?
    "We've not reached that far yet," he says. "But, yes, if I have to sell Liverpool Football Club to someone, then fine that's no problem for me.
    "First of all we have to get what is already here sorted out. Then we will look at recruitment. This year's under-18s are more or less the ones who came through from last season. But if someone wants me to talk to a player about coming here or wants me to watch someone in action, then I'll pop down and do it."
    Regarded by many as the greatest player to have ever played for the club, Dalglish knows a thing or two about coaching too. During his six year spell in the Anfield dugout he won three League titles and two FA Cups.
    With such experience on hand it would seem foolhardy not to tap into his vast wealth of knowledge and it is perhaps unsurprising to learn that under-16s coach Steve Cooper has already had the King out on the training pitch.
    "Getting your boots on is always exciting and enjoyable," he says. "But the most important thing in my opinion is to do what you are asked to do.
    "If Coops asks me to go out and help him, I'll do that. But he's their coach and he's the one who will be with them day in, day out. I'm just there to help out a little bit. If it's just my presence then fine."
    The Academy revolution has not only resulted in the return of King Kenny, it has also seen the recruitment of Spanish coaches, Jose (Pep) Segura and Rodolfo Borrell.
    The duo arrived on Merseyside with impressive reputations following their time in Barcelona's much-heralded youth system. With two pre-season honours already under their belt, Dalglish is confident the future bodes well for Liverpool's youngsters.
    "They are both excellent," says Dalglish. "Pep's more of a technician overseeing it all while Rodolfo's out there on the pitch training with the kids.
    "They achieved great things at Barcelona and Pep also managed the Greek side Olympiacos to a league and cup double - so they know what they are talking about. Their English is getting better too.
    "But it's not just about the under-18 team. There's a principle in place from the scholars right down to the little ones, something that was implemented by Pep.
    "Everything is reported on and I think it's in everyone's best interest that this is the case."
    The new vision in terms of Liverpool's youth policy has come direct from boss Rafael Benitez himself. The Spaniard has been keen to improve the quality of youngsters coming through the ranks and Dalglish is pleased to see the top man so involved in the day-to-day goings on in Kirkby.
    "Rafa was instrumental in making the changes at the Academy," says the Scot.
    "If he could get five or six local players into that first-team, he would love that. But Liverpool FC can't pick players by looking at where they come from, they have to pick them by ability.
    "If there are two guys of equal ability then fine, but they must have the talent first. It may be a pipe dream at the moment, but if you can get local lads in the side, people will relate to it - Liverpool's success must come first though.
    "It must be encouraging for everyone at the Academy that the manager is so involved with it. We may not be on the same site as Melwood, but it is one football club. The reserves come down here to train and it gives the lads a closer look of where they want to go. If they get there, then they can start looking towards Rafa's squad. That's what we are here for."
    Top class youngsters making it into the Reds' first-team is the hot topic when it comes to the fans' interest in Academy football.
    Dalglish understands the supporters' desire to see the next Steven Gerrard or Jamie Carragher make it through and hopes that in the years ahead they will be able to point to a growing list of those who have made the grade.
    "It'd be fantastic for everyone if we could get some through and into the first-team," he says. "There would be no-one happier than the lads themselves, but our desire is to just do the best that we can.
    "If you look back over the last eight years or so there are only a few players who have come through from this city who are playing regularly in the Barclays Premier League.
    "One was Wayne Rooney... and you are never going to get him because he was a staunch Evertonian!
    "So, locally we haven't missed that much, but that's not to say that there aren't kids out there that could have come through with a wee bit better nurturing than in the past.
    "There was a young lad who scored a goal for us the other day. He is an Evertonian and he celebrated 'a la' Tim Cahill with the boxing.
    "But that's not a problem is it? He's enjoying his football here. I don't have a problem with an Everton fan coming to play for Liverpool.
    "Maybe if it was the other way around that would be a problem. It would mean we didn't get him here. The lads are who they are, but as long as they are committed to Liverpool it doesn't matter who they support.
    "There have been many occasions in the past when a boyhood Everton fan has played in a derby for Liverpool and it has given them that extra bit of motivation.
    "At the end of the day it's a great ambition for us to do well here and bring through youngsters. It's still a long way away and we have only just started, but we've made the best possible start."

Author: Paul Hassall
    Tagged: academy , dalglish , kenny dalglish
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X