• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxhill should shape up or get out

Boxhill should shape up or get out

ON THE SPORTING EDGE

Paul Reid

Thursday, August 17, 2006

In the ongoing soap opera that the Jamaica Football Federation's administration has become, yesterday's appointment of many-time recycled national coach Carl Brown to take over from Wendell Downswell in an interim capacity signals that it is simply groping in the dark. The return of Carl Brown for what. his sixth or seventh stint? shows that this administration does not have what it takes to guide Jamaica's football forward.

A few days before Downswell's resignation was announced, we heard him defiantly saying he had no plans to leave the job. Why would he make a complete 180 degree turn a few days later?

The conspiracy theorist in me suggests he was nudged towards the door as the JFF succumbed to the weight of repeated calls for him to be fired. A series of poor results against world class teams had signalled the end for Downswell.

So what can Brown do with the same players he had failed with before, that Downswell could not do in the next few games? Are we swapping sacrificial lambs here?

Wouldn't it have been better to just keep Downswell for the few remaining games?

The search for a coach was a great platform for the Boxhill team to redeem themselves but they have dropped the ball badly.

For the record, my rejection of the Boxhill administration, is by no means a vote for the return of his predecessor, Captain Horace Burrell.

The goodly army man has done his time and moved on to bigger things and should try to serve Jamaica's football from those lofty heights.

Those calling for Burrell's return seem to forget that he presided over at least one failed World Cup campaign and resorted to firing a coach after a game in Central America without even consulting the technical committee.

I find it mind-boggling that in a country with 2.7 million people and another maybe five million in the Diaspora, we can't find someone between the overbearing style of Burrell and the way too laid-back style of Boxhill.

RE: Boxhill should shape up or get out

hehehe Affi give the writer props fi step out pon a limb and call out Boxhill. Good move.

On another note, I saw no need to bring Burrell into this. You want to know why out of 2.3 million + those in exile, we stuck wid these 2? The position is not a paid one. Dem need fi karreck dat and see what happen afterwards.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

what yu seh a mosian one left pon da wall deh..

Comment

Yes, nuff big ups to this writer for just talking plain. If some people were in the JFF, he would have been banned from future press conferences. With this admin., they might just show him the cold shoulder.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

heheh ... bossman yuh affi find a way fi tek a shot at Burrell nuh true? Would you support Reid for JFF president? Or him guilty by association to?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

OJ (8/17/2006)
            For the record, my rejection of the Boxhill administration, is by no means a vote for the return of his predecessor, Captain Horace Burrell.
            Why did we have to bring Burrel into this argument? Cant we discuss Boxhill's failures/incompetence without mentioning Captain Burrell?

This is too funny.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

I see your problem with Burrell is just a personality problem. Yes it may not be great but look behind that.

Mr. Personality may not be a good manager.

JFF need a good manager who can make good decisions, Boxhill have a problem with that.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good article!

It adds to thediscussionon after Boxhill... (...Boxhill is a gonna? Right?)...what?

The debate on finding someone else outside of the good Captain - (...and, it is on the same level as the The USA democratic candidate/front runner for the US Presidency... a vote for Mrs. Clinton is a vote for a Bill & Hillary presidency)- and his able side-kick Horace Reid has so far turned up 'nothing'.

Keep up the good work fellow member of the Massive!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Clear and to the point sah. Mi would a be a likke more critical of Boxhill by the way and his weak leadership of the JFF.:
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Aaah Boy I tell you, some of the posters on this site reminds me of my mother..and not her good ways either.

Give you a joke we watched Titanic all three hours of it and her comment at the end was, "how it done suh dry?"

I wonder how many here understands how column works and the space restrictions we work with, especially when you write for a tabloid....

As for Reggae Fan..I leave him to God..nah tek on nodday today, just come from a mini vacatioin in negril and still feeling nice....
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

You make me proud to see that each successive CC generation has COURAGE. Walk good!
                      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Dont tell that to the couch jockeys on this site who just sit and yap all day long and have done nothing to effect any meaningful changes at all.
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sorry to rain on your parade but putting up an opinion in a news column is just a localised form of blogging. In short no different from posting on a message board. Now if the writer had organised and started campaigning with a new candidate from say the west or KASAFA then one be forced to say action is being taken. BTW some of what the writer posted were views already expressed on this site.

Comment

I am sure if I had the time to read this a couple dozen times I would get your point..BITCH
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

I used to write for a tabloid entertainment paper in Ja in the mid nineties, plus I occasionally write articles fi a monthly Caribbean paper, and I'm all too familiar with professional writing.

Mi overstand yuh point anyways.
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X