Tame Wolves raise white flag,hand victory to Man U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tame Wolves raise white flag,hand victory to Man U

Mick McCarthy risked the wrath of the Premier League, its top clubs and his team’s supporters last night after Manchester United brushed aside a woefully understrength Wolverhampton Wanderers side at Old Trafford.
    A comfortable 3-0 victory moved United level on points with Chelsea at the top of the table, although by far the biggest talking point centred on McCarthy’s team selection, which contained ten changes to the team that beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 at White Hart Lane at the weekend.
    However, McCarthy launched a staunch defence of his decision to field a team whose ten outfield players had made a combined total of only 41 Barclays Premier League starts this season going into the game. He rejected suggestions that he had compromised the integrity of the competition and insisted that he was “not bothered” by the reaction it would generate.
    Citing a long injury list and the importance of his team’s Premier League match at home to Burnley on Sunday, the Wolves manager claimed he had fielded “the best, fittest and strongest team” he could pick in the circumstances and argued that the controversy his selection caused would be long forgotten if he kept the Midlands club in the top flight this season.
    function slideshowPopUp(url){pictureGalleryPopupPic(url);re turn false;}Related Links

“My decisions will be judged on whether we stay in the Premier League and funnily enough I probably made some bad decisions last year — we had some bad performances — but no one remembers them strangely because we won the Championship,” McCarthy said. “If we stay up, everything is suddenly OK.
    “I understand that [people may be unhappy] and I knew those questions would be asked when I made those decisions but what I can’t have is any more injuries but we still had some outstanding performances.
    “I wonder whether Manchester United were disappointed with me when I played 3-5-2 at Chelsea? Did anybody suggest I gave Chelsea a bit of a chance doing that? Did anyone complain when I attacked Arsenal at our place and after 28 minutes we’d had great chances and hadn’t scored and then got slapped for four? So I’m not bothered about any reaction from anybody else. I make the decisions for what I think is the good of my players and the benefit of my club.”
    Section E, rule 20 of the Premier League’s rules and regulations states that “in every league match each participating club shall field a full-strength team” but sources at the organisation indicated last night that it was “doubtful” action could be taken because of the emphasis on the squad system nowadays.
    McCarthy also appeared to have triggered a backlash among his own supporters, who paid £42 each for a ticket. About 2,400 travelling fans directed chants of “We want our money back” at the manager.
    “I can kind of understand that but that was my best team available,” McCarthy said. “I wasn’t planning on doing it but after Saturday when [the Wolves players] put the ratings down for how difficult the Spurs game was and they were all an average of 9½ and ten, we had to do that. We can’t do it Saturday-Tuesday at that level.”
    Goals from Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Antonio Valencia secured a comfortable win for United.
    Aston Villa leapfrogged Arsenal to take third place with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light. Birmingham City are up to sixth place after a 2-1 win over Blackburn Rovers at St Andrew’s.
    Bolton Wanderers won the basement battle, beating West Ham United 3-1 at home to climb above Gianfranco Zola’s side — and Wolves — and out of the relegation zone.

What if Everton or Aston Villa had the same attitude last weekend? What if the likes of Stoke,Bolton,West Ham,Wigan,Burnley,Portsmouth do the same thing when they come up against the so called big teams we would have a competition with no integrity.I can see the reason why Mick Macarthy made the changes but i think he was wrong to rest all 11 outfield players.He took the mick out of the competition and also out of the 3,000 Wolves fans who traveled to Old Trafford paying up to £51.00 per ticket.

Comment

Agree with you!
      I know what he was trying to do...but Wolves should be fined!

...as if managers go down this path the league as a spectator drawing spectacle would lose its luster and the money being thrown at it.

Just imagine - A teams giving points to a front runner or a team playing catch up that ends up deciding the winner of the league?

...or helping to send a team down?

Putting your best vailable X1 on the pitch with a 'playing for a draw' mentality is a whole different thing than what was really playing for a loss!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Bwoy unuh Gummers fanatics can whine and b itch like unuh coach eeh. When fe unuh team, the Empire and most of the big teams use their reserves and young players to play Carlin Cup, FA Cup and some premier league matches, it naw compromise the integrity of the competition?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

"all 11 outfield players"...huh?
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            Bwoy unuh Gummers fanatics can whine and b itch like unuh coach eeh. When fe unuh team, the Empire and most of the big teams use their reserves and young players to play Carlin Cup, FA Cup and some premier league matches, it naw compromise the integrity of the competition?
            OK Jangle let all of the lesser teams play thier reserves when they playing Arsenal,Liverpool,Man U,and Chelsea invariably giving them 3 points and see how long the Premiership last as the spectacle that it is.In cup competition like Carling cup or if the team have already qualified for the knock-out stages of the CL is a completely different scenario.

Comment

Working...
            X