• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica Preparing for 2014

.To face Canada in January 31 friendly

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Friday, December 18, 2009

JAMAICA’S Reggae Boyz will kick off their 2014 World Cup campaign with a friendly international against Canada at the National Stadium on Sunday, January 31. Head honcho of Jamaica’s football, Captain Horace Burrell, said the match-up will significantly mark the official launch of the Boyz’s long journey in their attempt to repeat by qualifying for the FIFA World Cup to be staged in the South American nation of Brazil.

“This will be the official launch of that campaign and we are urging all of Jamaica to come out and lend their full support,” Burrell said from Dubai, United Arab Emirates yesterday, where he is doing duties at the World Club Championships.

Burrell, on his second stint as Jamaica’s football boss and the visionary behind the country’s qualification to the France 1998 Finals, said it’s the mission of the JFF to get an early start to preparations for 2014.

“We would have learnt a number of lessons in the past and we have recognised that preparation is the key ingredient to the World Cup ... we won’t be found wanting in this respect this time,” Burrell said.

The Canadians, Burrell explained, will also be using the match-up to kick-start their own World Cup 2014 campaign.

The Canadians, like Jamaica, failed to book a spot in South Africa 2010, which kicks off on June 11.

“They (Canadians) will be taking this game very seriously.

In fact, they will commence a one-week camp in Fort Lauderdale before departing for Jamaica for the game,” said Burrell, a FIFA Disciplinary Committee member.

The senior vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union expects the Canadians, under the guidance of recentlyconfirmed coach Stephen Hart, to field a strong team and has vowed to give local coach Theodore Whitmore “the best help possible”.

“We’ll have the strongest team possible as we aim to give a good showing to home fans who have not seen their team perform on home turf for a spell, plus we want to make a positive start to our Brazil campaign,” said the successful businessman who operates the Captain’s Bakery and Grill, a major sponsor of local football leagues.

While it is not expected that many of the England-based professionals will be available for the encounter, which is not being played on a FIFAsanctioned date, Burrell said, “We will try to get a couple of them.” Scandinavia-based players like Rodolph Austin, Demar Phillips, Eric Vernon, Adrian Reid and Hungary-based Jason Morrison, however, should be a part of the squad.

Also, USbased pros Shavar Thomas, Dane Richards and Omar Cummings are expected to be available for selection.

“The team will also be made up of the best of the pool of local-based players,” said Burrell.

At a time when the cashstrapped federation has hinted at further downsizing as the harsh economic climate takes a toll, Burrell says he is determined to keep football alive, and the Canada contest signals a new era for the Jamaican game.

“Times are hard, but we cannot sacrifice the football programme, therefore as a federation, my executive decided to pull out all the stops to ensure that preparation, not only for this game, but for overall programme keeps pace with the times,” he said.

Burrell, also a member of the Jack Warner-led CONCACAF Executive Committee, explained that the deal with the Canadians has a reciprocal element where the Boyz are due to travel to Canada for a return match in 2010 or 2011, whichever is more convenient for both associations.

“I have developed an excellent relationship with the Canadians since I returned as JFF president, and it is out of this that we were able to broker this reciprocal arrangement,” he said.

And even before the ink has dried on the Boyz/Canada contract, Burrell has disclosed that he is already in discussion with another federation for a game in February, but refused to give further details as negotiations are said to be at a delicate stage.

“Part of our development plan going forward is to have at least one friendly game a month at home and abroad.

I know it will prove challenging, but we must find the resolve to keep the programme active,” he argued.

Apart from providing finetuning for the Boyz leading into the crucial stages of the Brazil qualifying mission, a serioustoned Burrell made it clear that the series of friendly games will serve as examination of the entire programme.

He said these games will serve to “test and assess” all functional systems, the overall administration, the technical competence and players’ skill levels and aptitude to perform at the highest level.

“This will serve to test the mettle of every key component... everyone will be under assessment over a period of time and everyone will be judged by their performance.

“The greatest thing is that we have sufficient time to develop all strategies as it relates to the ultimate goal of getting to Brazil in 2014 and that’s why we will not resort to lastminute preparation,” Burrell concluded.

In their failed 2010 World Cup campaign, group mates Jamaica and Canada, were both eliminated at the semifinal stage of the CONCACAF play-offs.

In their first leg of those qualifiers in Canada in August, 2008, both countries ended 1-1.

On the return in Kingston and desperate for goals to advance to the Finals, the Boyz defeated the Canadians 3-0, but came up short as Mexico progressed instead.

But in their lasting meeting at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the USA last August, the Canadians were 1-0 winners as the Boyz were eliminated at the group stage.

The Boyz’s last international was a friendly against World Cup hosts South Africa in Bloemfontein on November 17.

That game ended 0-0.

A proposed return match-up between the two countries scheduled for March next year, has been postponed to a later date.

Meanwhile, Jamaica slipped seven places in the latest FIFA rankings to 81st, 25 places below Canada.

Canada are CONCACAF’s fifth-ranked team, while Jamaica remain the Caribbean’s number one team and eighth in CONCACAF.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Boyz-off-to-flyer

Are they willing to give some new blood the mantle to carry us into Brsail 2014? They keep harping on the same old farts from England and Scandinavia but what about capable players in the Americas?

Ryan Johnson (San Jose FC) is one of the best young strikers in MLS and he is tired of waiting on a call from the JFF.

Obrien White (TFC) is ready to run out for the ReggaeBoyz; are the ReggaeBoyz ready for him?

Omar Persad (Royal Racing, Europe) is ready to help run tings in di miggle. Will they call him to camp to test his capability?

Stephen DeRoux (Montreal FC) is probably our best left sided player. Speed, skill and intelligence are his within his package. Is Tappa listening?

Keammar Daley (Tivoli Gardens FC) is -with the possible exception of Jerry Maestro - our most creative linkman; yet, he cannot get a start or some minutes from Tappa Whitmore. Dada is just too skillful for his own good! I get the impression that if Leonel Messi were a Jamaican he would NEVER get a call-up to ReggaeBoyz training camp. Tappa (inspite of all the big chat about looking for a creative midfielder) doesn't really want one. It's not his game plan to utilise a creative midfielder. Under his tenure, Boomer and Jerry have been totally passed over for middlemen who are basically hard-running, hard-nosed kick-n-run central midfielders.
    Last edited by Farmah; December 18, 2009, 02:03 PM.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Amen
      Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
      Mitty

Comment

Stephen Deroux has the same issues as many of our talented left backs. Excess plotting, makes silly defensive errors and gives away the ball at critical moments.

I would be more interested at seeing Lyle Adams at the rightback spot. We have no depth whatsover at that position.

Comment

I can only advise Tappa on what to do: Create your own maestro. I had that problem one season (parent pulled one of my best mid to a team in Long Island) What I did? I took what you would call a non baller and created a star. granted this player was eager to learn and hanged on to every word I said. I asked me when I just came to teach the game. I started the player out in defence ( I said this way you can see the game and develop the habit to read and anticipate) It was a lot of work; some late nights and tears but the match day when the finished product debuted. It was something I will never forget. Afterwards players came demanding that they wanted me to turn them into a star midfielder (matter of fact everyone wanted to play mid now).

Moral of the story: Tappa can do it; go out , scout and select a player that he feels will make it (listen too your heart Tappa) select about three players take them with you everywhere evn if they don't make the team yet but let them practice with the team and in two years or so you will get what you are looking for. The prof. had to do the same thing. Tappa be patient as long as they listen to you and hold you in high esteem the result will come. For the benefit of Ja; I think the JFF should sponsor this move.Believe me it will work.

Look at Brasil most of the player are really molden after the legends before them. Look at Brasil from 58 to now the team is basically the same with variations here and there (faster here and there, less skill here more over there but the same foundation). The Brasilian Heirachy sees Binho as Garrincha hence he's molded that way. Zico is the mold of gerson and Tostoa.. and so on.

Tatty and Dixon should be called in to help with the defence, other than that 98 team will be a dream that will be lost. The prof gave us the blue print. Strikers? we should send our youth abroad to hone their shooting technique against quality defenders.

Don't be like England who can't seem to replicate that 66 team (may have a gazza here and there but that's it, not nine or eight solid ballas).

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
            Keammar Daley (Tivoli Gardens FC) is -with the possible exception of Jerry Maestro - our most creative linkman;
            Originally posted by Farmah View Post
            ...yet, he cannot get a start or some minutes from Tappa Whitmore. Dada is just too skillful for his own good! I get the impression that if Leonel Messi were a Jamaican he would NEVER get a call-up to ReggaeBoyz training camp. Tappa (inspite of all the big chat about looking for a creative midfielder) doesn't really want one. It's not his game plan to utilise a creative midfielder. Under his tenure, Boomer and Jerry have been totally passed over for middlemen who are basically hard-running, hard-nosed kick-n-run central midfielders.
            Didn't this forum declare that what Jamaica wants are box to box midfielders?! There is no room for the Messi-types, dat is old-school football! By di way, a question fi di older forumites - unnu ever see Skill Cole tackle nuhbody? I sure don't remember that, although I only saw him in his latter years.

So wi gwine pack up di midfield wid people who gwine mek sure not a blade a sugar cane can grow deh, but we will continue to struggle to create and score goals.

Think 2018!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Didn't this forum declare that what Jamaica wants are box to box midfielders?! There is no room for the Messi-types, dat is old-school football! By di way, a question fi di older forumites - unnu ever see Skill Cole tackle nuhbody? I sure don't remember that, although I only saw him in his latter years.

So wi gwine pack up di midfield wid people who gwine mek sure not a blade a sugar cane can grow deh, but we will continue to struggle to create and score goals.

Think 2018!
              Messi will tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                Messi will tackle.
                and so will Maestro.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well if we want a Box to Box midfielder, even a Donovan will do.

I believe the coaches are the problem, just using "Speed", no imagination and since Bolt win him medals it get worst.

The fact is we continue to call squad after squad and not include any creative players and if any is included they are on the bench

I ask again how could we carry that team to South Africa and not start Omar Cummings? He was the only creative player on the frontline. Check his stats with his team.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    and so will Maestro.
                    Maestro's defensive work is way below Messi's.

Comment

your opinion. i disagree. (my opinion.)

then again, maestro carries more offensive duties for his team than messi does for argentina or barcelona.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah man call up call up Tyrone Mears. ooopps sorry him a African.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Garbage, absolute garbage...Burrell's pr machine trying to drum up support for the game but who wants to go watch a game between two teams that failed to get far in WC qualifying??
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

But if you have a team and one man nah play defense? what is the big deal as long as he is playing offense very good?

My only problem with startin Hue is when they start him and Andy William together. They shouldn't be on the field at the same time.

Comment

"Excess plotting"..as in thinking and scheming too much???
                              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X