• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big up to Adderly

Reggae Boy Addlery rocking in Central America

Published: Sunday | December 20, 2009

Nodley Wright, Sunday Gleaner Writer

Addlery
    Much attention has been focused on where the likes of David Beckham and Landon Donovan will ply their trade when new transfer window opens in January. They, however, are not the only players who have sought to keep themselves fresh and in a position to take advantage of available opportunities.

One who has done this but on a quieter scale is Reggae Boy Nicholas Addlery, who joined Salvadoran Premier League team Club Deportivo Aguila (CD Aguila) in November on loanafter his season in the USL with Puerto Rico Islanders ended. While Beckham and Donovan are trying to keep themselves sharp and in frame for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Addlery is focused on getting himself in a bigger football market.

"This deal was put together by Manuel Urenda as there were some bigger teams who wanted to see me in a Latin American environment as well as see how well I adapt to the Latin American style of play," said Addlery, explaining the process and reason for his move to El Salvador.

Addlery, never shy about going after his football dreams, has travelled an interesting road. After pocketing his Bacholor degree in Business Ad-ministration at Division II California University of Pennsylvania in 2002, Addlery headed to Trinidad and Tobago where he represented South Star World Strikers from 2003-2005. From there it was on to San Juan Jabloteh in 2005. In 2006, it was off to Vietnam with Dong Nai FC before returning to the United States to hook up with MLS team DC United in 2007, where he played a part in their lifting of the Supporters' Shield (Regular Season MLS Title).

success

But while he tasted success at DC United, Addlery was on the move the following year, joining the Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Canada, and with them he won the USL Division I Championships. His search for better took him to the Puerto Rico Islanders at the beginning of 2009, where his goal scoring prowess made him an instant hit.

"This season in Puerto Rico I scored 15 goals in 32 games but I missed eight games while being part of the 2009 Gold Cup Squad.

"We did well in the Concacaf Champions League, qualifying to the semi-finals, where we lost to Cruz Azul earlier in the year, and later in the 2009-2010 edition we advanced to the group stage where we were hindered by three consecutive draws with Cruz Azul, Deportivo Saprissa and Columbus Crew. This showed that we can hold our own against perennial powerhouses from their respective markets," posited Addlery, who turned 28 earlier this month.

His stop in Central America has been very productive so far.
    "I have played six games and have scored in the last three games. Two of those games were semi-finals, which is great, and the fans let me know it. I have been very very well received. They show me a lot of love and look out for me," Addlery said.

His good form also caused opposing teams to have his legal status in the country checked out. His work visa is valid until January 5, 2010.

love and hatred

The outpouring of love and hatred for the Jamaican football nomad could be even greater today if he helps them to victory in the Apertura final.

"On Sunday, we play our main rival, CD FAS, and whenever these two teams collide it is known as 'El Clasico', comparable to Barca and Real Madrid, but obviously, on a smaller scale. The majority of the tickets have already been sold for the game in El Cuzcatlan (The National Stadium) and a crowd of over 45,000 is expected. I am looking forward to it because I have won titles in MLS and USL, but this one is very special as I have the opportunity to be a major component in the push for the title," outlined the man who has represented Jamaica at the under-20, under-23 and the senior level.

While Addlery continues his quest to become the best possible player he can be, while striving to push himself into a bigger market, the national team remains crucial to his plans, despite not being involved since the Gold Cup in July. "It is always an honour to represent your country and I definitely feel the same, so I am always listening keenly for when my name is called to wear the national colours."
    Last edited by Karl; December 20, 2009, 02:31 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Sounds like he is destined to be a journeyman, with emphasis on the "journey", but seriously I wish him well in his football career; at 28 he won't have many more opportunities to advance his career to higher levels.
    Peter R

Comment

Working...
    X