X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hodges' chance at MLS trials beckon

By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobsever.com

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Prolific Rivoli United striker Devon Hodges will be going on trial with a top US Major League Soccer (MLS) team this month.

Hodges, 25, who won last season's Golden Boots award with 24 goals and currently leading with 13 goals from 20 games, has drawn interest from both the US and Europe.

Rivoli United's vice-president Ansel Smart, confirmed to the Observer that Hodges is a wanted man, but refused to divulge the information as to which clubs are looking at him.

Said Smart: "No, I can't give that information yet. He will be going on one or two trials in this month. We have something soon in the US, but I can't tell you which club yet. One thing I can say, is that it is two big clubs."

He added: "We have been talking to at least three clubs from US and Europe. Hopefully when he gets the chance he will take it and make Rivoli proud of him."

But in fact, Smart said a scout from one of these clubs will be in the island soon and if they are impressed with Hodges during training of a league match, they might just sign him without a trial.

"They are supposed to come down and watch training and if he looks good in training then they might not bother with any trials," Smart said.

Hodges, after a magnificent season last year, has so far scored 13 of his team's 22 goals and is well on course to surpassing the 24 he scored last year.

Hodges gained local fame by setting the record for most goals scored in a single National Premier League (NPL) game, when he scored 10 during Rivoli's 15-0 thrashing (which is also a record) of Invaders in the 2004/2005 season.

His prolific form has made him the most feared striker around locally, and thus he was given his international debut in May 2009 in a friendly match against El Salvador and scored his first international goal in his second match against Panama.

Hodges' 13 goals to date equal the tally of the entire Village United team, and also more than the total of the entire Portmore United team.

Rivoli United striker Devon Hodges (right) moves in on Tivoli Gardens defender Dwight Herron in a recent Digicel Premier League game at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...rials-_7305145

Bruce Arena was in Jamaica last week. I wonder if he took a look at him while there.

Comment

What is your personal view of his skills & potential?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have never been overly impressed with his game, but he works hard and scores. As far as I am concerned he is a much better prospect at the Pro level than Roen Nelson. Maybe he will be our Inzaghi.

Comment

Many of his goals are penalties. Goals nonetheless.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X