Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maxwell/Seba split... no surprise

The Maxwell/Seba split... no surprise

Yet another Geoffrey Maxwell coaching stint ended just over a week ago when Seba United severed connections with the veteran coach.

That he did not end the season with the former two-time National Premier League (NPL) champions did not come as a big surprise to many.

The surprise was that he lasted as long as he did, and that the notoriously quick-to-fire Seba management had put up with the side’s struggle in the NPL for so long.

Maxwell was a surprise choice to fill the rotating coach’s chair at Seba United, given his history of not finishing jobs for one reason or the other.

One cannot, however, blame Maxwell for the fact that the clubs which have hired him since he left Waterhouse have not had the requisite financial resources to attract the kind of players he can mould into a solid unit.

Maxwell has struggled to recreate the magic he did at Waterhouse, although one has to wonder what he thought he could do at Arlington or Rivoli, for example, and whether he was just taking those jobs for the income they would generate.

He has said that he does not coach for fun and that he is a professional and expects to be treated as such. He has not been shy in his desire to get back into the national coaching ranks, but one wonders whether any Jamaica Football Federation executive would take a gamble on him right now.

What lies in store for Maxwell is anyone’s guess and one might want to argue that maybe he should turn his attention to the Confederation or Major League level and help build a unit that could challenge for the Premier League in a few years.

Given his vast knowledge of the game and superior teaching skills, he could find several ‘diamonds in the rough’ and who knows, maybe move the team through the various levels of football to the NPL.

Meanwhile, there must be some cause for concern with the Seba United club, as they seem to chew up and spit out coaches at an alarming rate.

In the past three or four seasons, with the exception of when they contested the Western Confederation Super League, Seba has had no fewer than two or three coaches per season, and one must contemplate the club’s failure to perform at a consistently high level given the turnover of coaches.

In the past few seasons, the coaches that have led the team are: Weston King who has had several stints, Dr Dean Weatherly, Everton Tomlinson, Danilo Bariga, an Englishman whose name escapes me, Edwin Alcock, Paul ‘Tegat’ Davis, Peter Hurge, Heron Grey, Hector Wright, Steve Bucknor and William ‘Bill’ Moravek.

That’s a starting 11 plus one reserve player.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: The Maxwell/Seba split... no surprise

I was expecting some responses to this, dont tell me you all agree with this idiot journalist....he he he:P:P:P:P
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

i cant believe at expert journalist like yourself did not research the english coach who names escapes you. Any way how is seba u21, u17 and u15 doing?

Comment

He he he....I was reminded last night that his name is Tommy Taylor and played for West Ham for a long time and a few times for England at center half...Seba's youth programme is maybe the best in St james among the established clubs but for some reasons we are not seeing enough players matriculate into the senior team.

This season they have started three or so players who were in the Under 21 team last year Glen Miller, Omar Christie and Kemar James, on Sunday they were forced to play two others due to the fact they lost a lot of players to yellow cards and brought in a fat left back who while having a great free kick, needs a taxi to get him back in position after overlapping.

They also have Delroy Ellis and Ricardo Geddes the offensive stars on the William Knibb team that made it to the DCup finals a few years ago plus Whitmore gave this nice attacking midfielder Mario Samuels who played at Herbert Morrison last season, his NPL debut on Sunday when he played about ten minutes.

The question is would he have played him if they were not so short handed?

BTW, the Under 15 and Under 17 leagues are played in the summer months when the kids are out of school....

For my money the best of the lot I have seen there is Christie who I have seen play very well for the past few seasons

Che Guevara.

Comment

yeah sickko... you know how mi respect you... read the article and just did not want to offer a view point on it because... cho, well... oj just mention one of the first things that came to my mind when i read it.., awright, second, is wha yuh have gense maxwell... the piece seemed a little bias against him... third, the reference about his taking the job for his income... that nuh mek it... very unprofessional sickko... who doesnt take a job for the income... that part did not add to the article in any substantial way... sound too much like jamaican labrish...

u done know mi appreciate your writings but that particular piece was not your best effort... hope it did not make it to press as it was presented to us - or else, your editor is slacking...

seems to me maxwell is ahead of his time or above the environment in which he has to play his trade... his standards are way too high for the jamaicans - that is a striking shame... a coach like him needsa more professional environment, players and administrators...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

That he did not end the season with the former two-time National Premier League (NPL) champions did not come as a big surprise to many.
            The surprise was that he lasted as long as he did, and that the notoriously quick-to-fire Seba management had put up with the side’s struggle in the NPL for so long.
            Maxwell was a surprise choice to fill the rotating coach’s chair at Seba United, given his history of not finishing jobs for one reason or the other.
            One cannot, however, blame Maxwell for the fact that the clubs which have hired him since he left Waterhouse have not had the requisite financial resources to attract the kind of players he can mould into a solid unit.
            Maxwell has struggled to recreate the magic he did at Waterhouse, although one has to wonder what he thought he could do at Arlington or Rivoli, for example, and whether he was just taking those jobs for the income they would generate.
            He has said that he does not coach for fun and that he is a professional and expects to be treated as such. He has not been shy in his desire to get back into the national coaching ranks, but one wonders whether any Jamaica Football Federation executive would take a gamble on him right now.
            wish you would expound on the above statements... why wasn't his premature departure not a surprise to many... why an obviously knowledgeable and accomplished talent like maxwellwould be a gamble to the jff...

blessed love king son...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

No watch no face Baddaz, I appreciate all kinds of criticism, especially if it is constructive. I will be honest and tell you I cant see any other reason why Maxwell would take a job like Arlington or Rivoli- those teams neither had the players not the structure to make it even worth while for him -if he is as good as you think he is.

Maybe you can tell me why you think he took those jobs. It would be like Rene Simoes coming back here and coaching one of the St James Hart Senior League teams.

Also dont forget he tried to muscle in on Santos and Spanner had to put his foot down and ask him politely to go away.

The fact is Geoffrey has not been able to to at any club what he was able to do at Waterhouse and that could be because he has not been given the time to work with the teams as he did at Waterhouse.

To be honest, I dont think he has it anymore, maybe his mind is just not in it or his heart is not in it, I am not sure..but he is like one of those people who can sit in a TV studio and talk about what the teams are doing wrong and what they need to do but cant get teams to play for him.

I heard that one of the things that the Seba management did not like was when he said it was not his job to 'motivate' the players, they should do it themselves..in a way I tend to agree with that.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

I can hear you have great respect for Geoffrey but the fact is that he has not completed a full season with any club since he left Waterhouse or rather since he returned from jail..that is a fact.

Everywhere he has gone and it has been a lot of clubs, he has never seem to fit, not at Arnett, Tivoli, Arlington, Rivoli, Constant Spring, Reno or Village where he was twice, no where.

Can it be that all of these clubs that believed in him and has high regards for him, made a mistake?

Except for Village, he has not been able to keep any team even close to the top three places, is this the teams/players fault or the coach.

Given his recent record, if he was anywhere in the world would any national association or any team serious about winning even give him an interview?
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                X