• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asot Michael defends Parham move

Asot Michael defends Parham move

News Articles - Sports
    Written by Neto Baptiste
    MONDAY, 14 DECEMBER 2009 03:00
    Member of Parliament for St. Peter’s, Asot Michael, during his presentation in Parliament on Friday, defended his decision to import a number of overseas non-national players for his Parham Football Club.

One of the country’s top teams was being threatened with relegation from the Digicel/Hadeed Motors and Observer Group Premier Division football competition after finishing the first round with only one point.

Michael, during his delivery, renewed his commitment to not only Parham’s legacy as one of the longest serving Premier Division clubs but also to the development of players within the community and the country on a whole.

“In the 1980’s the Parham Football Club became the first club in the country to invest in player development through the recruitment of a Brazilian football coach, Mr. Jorge Ramos.

"The club also was the first to import the services of non-national players. This investment led the Parham club to three championships and in the process Parham became a household name in the sport here, locally. The club even represented Antigua and Barbuda at the level of the regional club championship,” Michael said.

“Almost 20 years later, the Parham FC is easily the longest standing among the ten-team premier division.

"Like the rest of the country, the quality of football in Parham has declined and after losing nine regular starters at the start of the 2009-2010 season the Parham FC ended the first half of the season with a mere one point.”

“Realising the problem, the Parham FC took a decision to address both the declining standard of football in the community and preserving Parham’s rich legacy and tradition.

"The club invested in player development through the recruitment of Brazilian football coach, Dr. Walter Gama whose services it is planned, will impact upon the national development of the sport through his availability to all member clubs of the ABFA as well as to our respective national teams.

"Of course, the people of Parham come first in this new dispensation which aims at improving the quality of football across the nation,” a passionate Michael told the nation.

The MP went to state that the imported players are but a temporary fix as they seek to have Parham remain within the country’s top flight, adding that he has the backing of those within the Parham community and the many who have called him in support of the initiative.

“With respect of the players brought in to bolster and maintain Parham’s place in the top division of the national programme, let it be known that we place a premium on Parham’s legacy and will do anything within the framework of the laws of the game to preserve and protect it.

"Members of the Parham community understand, accept and appreciate the vision that guides the process and wish, through me, to tell all the naysayers, those who predicted our demotion from the premiership and destruction of our rich history, that Parham football will be around for many more years as a dominant force in Antigua football.

"In fact, the Parham football club feels proud of our contribution to the already visible improvements in the standard of play in the premier division.”

“I am heartened by the flood of phone calls from persons who understand the value of my contribution to the sport of football.

"Even the principals of the ABFA have come out in support of the injection of players who add value to the national past time.

"Parham, I remind you, cannot win the premiership, but our contribution to the development of the game has raised the bar and now places new and unprecedented demands and expectations on all involved,” he said.

Michael went on to urge others to invest in the country’s youths through sports while hinting that he will be employing the services of an overseas coach for another of his other teams, Green Bay Hoppers, as of the 2010/11 domestic season.

“Before closing off this area, I must remind my detractors of my sponsorship of a football team from the PM’s constituency.

"Where was he when the young footballers of Grays Farm/Green Bay cried out for help with the development of their athletic abilities?

"For those who question my commitment and sincerity to the development of our sportsmen and women, I assure you that my association in the past is no flash in the pan and will continue into the foreseeable future.”

“Today, I wish to announce my commitment to the recruitment of another top notch football coach to provide training to the Hoppers football club and the players of Grays Farm and Green Bay effective the 2010-2011 season.

"I invite all those who claim to have an interest in seeing the development of our youth to step up to the plate ensuring development in the sport.

"The time for talk is over. I am Asot the action man by name and nature, word and deed,” he said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mitchily Waul has been making a huge difference here! He has been scoring goals 'lacka dirt'! He has been the Jamaican goalscorer on fiyah!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is really Antigua Waul career gone to after Yuttie seh him was the greatest thing since slice bread. Hopefully, he will be moving on to Trinidad or something a little better. Donald Stewart, I can understand that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
        Is really Antigua Waul career gone to after Yuttie seh him was the greatest thing since slice bread. Hopefully, he will be moving on to Trinidad or something a little better. Donald Stewart, I can understand that one.
        What is wrong with Antigua?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Antiguan blood!

Dexter Blackstock
          , Footballer (currently at Queens Park Rangers)

Justin Cochrane
          , Footballer (currently at Rushden and Diamonds)

Dion Dublin
          , Footballer

Kieron Dyer
          , Footballer (currently at West Ham)

Ruel Fox
          , Footballer (former Tottenham Hotspur, Norwich City and Newcastle United)

Emile Heskey
          , Footballer (currently at Aston Villa)

Marc Joseph
          , Footballer (currently at Rotherham United)

Colin Kazim-Richards
          , Footballer (currently at Fenerbahçe)

Ledley King
          , Footballer (currently at Tottenham Hotspur)

Mikele Leigertwood
          , Footballer (Currently at Queens Park Rangers)

Comment

Don't knock it! What would some of us have said when Nick Addlery took off to some non-descript league in Vietnam? What's he doing now?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Antiguan blood? What that have to do with anything. Good genes. LOL

Mosiah,

Antigua is a crappy league. Vietnam is not the greatest thing since slice bread, but it is a much higher level than the league in Antigua and a league where most of the top clubs have good imported players as their forwards. Let us not forget how them beat up our team LOL

Hopefully he can find something much better than Antigua.

Comment

Mi granny use to say "you tek wha you get, till you get wha you want".
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If that is all him can get now, take it yes. However, lets hope for his sake that bigger things will be in his future.

Comment

that was simply my point.

chill out, me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Fi real.

Anyway, what ever happen to Kemar Munroe the Jamaican Robinho?

Comment

figget dat...what happened to the brasilian robinho?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

At least him in the news. The Jamaican version, not even sure if him alive.

Comment

Working...
                          X