Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X inna him ackee now!

Guus Hiddink could take over at Liverpool this summer, according to agent

Guus Hiddink's agent has confirmed the Dutchman could be interested in taking over at Anfield in the summer

By Telegraph staff and agencies
    Published: 9:00PM GMT 20 Jan 2010

In demand: Guus Hiddink's agent has claimed he could be interested in taking over at Liverpool this summer Photo: AP

Cees van Nieuwenhuizen has denied already holding talks with the Anfield club but suggested Hiddink could be keen on succeeding Rafael Benitez on Merseyside at the end of the season.

''That's absolutely not right,'' van Nieuwenhuizen, when asked if he had already held discussions with Liverpool. ''Each day I'm surprised when I read comments in the newspapers in Russia, or in Italy with Juventus, or in England with Manchester City before and now Liverpool''

The former Chelsea manager is under contract with Russia until this summer, but Van Nieuwenhuizen admitted a move to Liverpool could interest his client when that deal is through.

''It would be fair to say because it's one of the big names in global football,'' he said. ''But if Liverpool have a problem today or tomorrow then Guus is not available. Guus is not available for any club until August 1.''

Hiddink, who took over temporarily at Stamford Bridge last season following the departure of Luiz Felipe Scolari, remains close friends with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, a factor which could complicate a move to a rival club.

Van Nieuwenhuizen said: ''As Guus said after he left Chelsea, he enjoyed every second of being in the Premier League with Chelsea.

''He still has a very strong relationship with Mr Abramovich from Chelsea. If he would consider a return to the Premier League I think one of the first things he would do is give a call to his friend Abramovich and say, 'I hope you don't mind if I join club A, B, C or whatever'.

''In a way it's a funny situation but on the other hand Guus is also very close with some of the people on the technical staff at Chelsea like Ancelotti, who he knows very, very well, and also Frank Arnesen, with whom he worked for a couple of years at PSV Eindhoven.

''So Guus doesn't want to interfere with the current success story that Chelsea has picked up again under Ancelotti.''
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

wasn't rafa to be the saviour? and before that houllier and before that...mi figget who?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

There's nothing wrong with Rafa... a malaise has set in and changing managers IMO now or even in the near future (or at season's end) is really a knee-jerk reaction. I would wait out the season before making any drastic decision.

The management has to put things in context of this year which is unlike the last couple where the top four distanced themselves from the rest while this year the top four (as if it is their right) have had trouble moving away from the pack. In addition the top teams have lost more games proportionately at this time than they had last year.

Anyway, while I am not stuck on any one manager , Rafa has been successful, and IMO, he's allowed a dip and he deserves management's support to move the team through this crisis.
      Peter R

Comment

2nd dat Peter !
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

the manic roller coaster ride continues!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It has been tuff on me emotionally dis season , If I wasnt a liverpool fan in the truest sense , I wouldnt care. I have a MD fren , im mek me look like a Sampson. Is like counselling session on why not to sack Rafa, sell Lucas etc.

To him Lucas is all whats wrong with pool , if we would only sell Lucas , the jinx would be lifted...it nuh easy when yuh nuh walk alone , pity nuff a dem yuh a walk wid and talk wid a weak heart.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Liverpudlian: If we can keep our heads…tweetmeme_url = 'http://www.thisisanfield.com/2009/10/23/liverpudlian-if-we-can-keep-our-heads/';tweetmeme_source = 'thisisanfield';

Liverpudlian urges fans to ignore the anti-Liverpool agenda the press enjoy stirring up of late.
              Written by Liverpudlian on October 23rd, 2009 26 Comments
              Email This Article Print This Article addthis_pub = 'thisisanfield';
              The obsession and favourite pastime in the sporting press at the moment is sticking the knife firmly into the back of our manager and don’t those “experts” just love it? Four bad results and all those long standing gripes are out in the open again now, nothing held back and all of a sudden we are a club in crisis again. Those of us who are a “bit long in the tooth” have seen it all before of course with an acceptance that the anti –Liverpool agenda, that is rife in the London and Manchester based media, remains an ongoing occupational hazard if you choose to follow our club.
              Now prior to the start of the season, my article on this very site pleaded for a common cause in that we ( supporters and those with the club at heart) would just let the team and management get on with the job in hand and reserve judgement for fear of compromising morale (whether results went our way or not). Of course I never expected for one second that debate would not go on, either way, but the level of vitriol from failed footballers who have found themselves in a position to comment staggers me. Now I can accept reasoned argument and constructive criticism but when it is basically just putting the boot in to create headlines, then they can just **************** off.
              Of course they are paid to be controversial but sadly even some of our fans have chosen to dignify their outpourings with a response that does our club no favours whatsoever. By doing so, it is merely justifying their position and salary and maintaining a lifestyle they do not deserve. Sure, we are having a bad run, yes, we all have our opinions – that is the name of the game, free speech etc etc and that is why we follow our team. However, the opinion of some gobshite sitting behind a microphone or a keyboard, full of their own importance, should be of no relevance or interest whatsoever. Treat the bastards with the contempt they deserve- it is our club and has **************** all to do with them – their jobs are to be just a mouthpiece and most of them have another agenda and almost universally will have suffered either on or off the pitch to our club in the past. We have to accept what they do but we do not have to like it and endorsing them in any way, affects our club directly or otherwise.
              These are the same idiots who vilify us because we are not interested in internationals and “Ingerlund” in particular but then are hypocritical enough to criticise our team when we lose due to the absence of players injured on international duty. **************** them, don’t buy their paper, listen to their station or watch their show, if they want to talk bollocks then let them do so but don’t dignify them with your attendance or worst of all a response.
              Siege mentality has served us well, in the past at times, like this. It is the Liverpool way to keep issues in house. Sure I will always listen to comment from our own fans and take it on board but even criticism on our own websites can and is being used against us currently. The last thing we need at the moment is disharmony within the rank and file supporters. Yes, have your say, but keep a detached look at the possibility of friendly fire in your comments. O.K I am not suggesting for one minute that we all follow the party line and pretend everything in the garden is smelling of roses but a sense or proportion is required here and not the sort of knee jerk reaction prevalent at the moment. There has been enough hot air lately to blow up a million beach balls and we know what happens then when they get in the way, don’t we?

Comment

With the player yet to appear in a red shirt, my first close-up look at Alberto Aquilani came in the Melwood canteen, when he politely interrupted my discussion with Rafa Benítez. Luckily for him, I didn’t know how to say “how dare you?” in Italian. Apparently he had something important to talk about – his first outing for the reserves that night, or something – so I left the “do you know who I am?” till another time.
                I can honestly say that it was a first; I was at Craven Cottage for the debut of Fowler, Selhurst Park for Owen’s first bow and Anfield when Steven Gerrard came on for his initial substitute appearance. I saw the debuts of Hyypia and Hamann at Hillsborough, and have witnessed the inaugural outings of several other luminaries since my first game in 1990. Never did I expect to first encounter a player as I ordered paella.
                Like most sane Liverpool fans, I’ve been disgusted by some of the absolute tripe written about Aquilani. Perhaps I should know not to expect better, but the hysteria surrounding some of the reporting on the Italian beggars belief.
                “Worst buy of the season”, declared Gary Lineker. “A flop after his debut” said Oliver Holt of the Mirror, referring to the victory at Aston Villa, ignoring that his debut was a few days earlier.
                Yes, let’s ignore the fact that players are signed for long contracts, not short hauls.
                All this followed months of impatience from fans and media alike, none of which helped Benítez or his Italian acquisition. For many the new signing turned into the solution to the problem, and then as soon as he played, he himself was a problem. Classic football nonsense.
                So, let’s have some facts, and some analysis of why it took so long for him to get a game, and what at he’s done in the first team, now that he’s had a few starts.

Comment

The Boy Aquilania whom the poster (me) said has no pace , dictated that game against Spurs , with his sublime skill and pace , BTW he tackles ,lets not forget Spurs are all about pace.

He was gracefull and fluid and he still needs to find his form.....trouble !

Comment

Hey X,nice to see you found your voice again.I hope Liverpool keep winning so you dont have to hide anymore.LOL!!!

Comment

If you and the poster (me) can expound how the bruk foot/one of Rafa worst buys Aquailina run and pass circles around the T&F team spurs , because as you and i know spurs is all about pace ?

Comment

So wait, Keanno never get a long term kantrac? My bad
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X