Reggae Girls crash out of U20 qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Girls crash out of U20 qualifiers

GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala -- Jamaica were sent crashing from the CONCACAF Under-20 Women's Championship after succumbing 0-2 to Mexico at the Estadio Cementos Progresso yesterday.
    The Young Reggae Girlz, who needed to beat the Mexicans to stay in the tournament, crashed to their second consecutive defeat and will be home early on Tuesday.
    Mexico, who moved to six points from two games, advanced to the semi-final stage with and will meet USA in the group decider on Monday.
    Meanwhile Jamaica, after two games, remain pointless and will be playing for pride against fellow Caribbean team Trinidad & Tobago for third place in the group.
    The ever-dangerous Mexican playmaker Veronica Corral bundled home after goalkeeper Sashagay Spence failed to hold onto a high cross in the 45th minute.
    And that was the turning point in the game, according to head coach Vin Blaine, who thought his goalkeeper was fouled during the play.
    Said Blaine: "I'm very disappointed. We held them until one minute before half-time and I think they fouled my goalkeeper and got the goal, which broke the spirit."
    He added: "I think they gave a very spirited performance in the first half and that goal really killed them."
    The Mexicans struck early in the second half as Liliana Godoy scored a 'screamer' from 35 metres that flew past goalkeeper Spence in the 48th.
    That knocked the stuffing out of the Girlz and although Blaine introduced some attacking options in Trudi Carter and Shenika Williams, the game was as good as over.
    Jamaica -- Sashagay Spence, Lia Blake, Shushana Dobson, Zovel Hyre, Katrina Rose, Nicole Campbell, Teashian Thomas (Trudi Carter 53rd), Monique Pryce (Nugene Nugent 31st), Sashana Campbell, Semone Honeygan, Cathryn Rogers (Shenika Williams 60th).
    Subs not used: Leigh Ann Jaggon, Shanise Foster, Shereen Clarke, Jamilia Campbell-Henny.
    Booked: Zovel Hyre 81st
    Mexico -- Aurora Santiago, Bianca Sierra, Alina Garciamendez, Marylin Diaz, Lydia Rangel, Mirelle Arciniega, Sandra Mayor, Veronica Corral (Valeria Miranda 59th), Liliana Godoy (Natalia Gomez-Junco 84th), Olivia Jimenez, Angelica Figueroa (Diana Gonzalez 74th).
    Subs not used: Brissa Rangel, Monica Alvarado, Ingis Hernandez, Natalie Lagunas.
    Booked: Veronica Corral 59th
    Referee: Gillian Martindale (Barbados)
    Referee assistants: Elfriede Hynes (Suriname), Suzanne Morrisset (Canada)
    Fourth Official: Carol Anne Chenard (Canada)
    Match Commissary: Hubert Isenia.

Colossal waste of money

Comment

Disband the program, wheel and come again when we can put a competitive team pon the field.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Unnnuh hard pon di girlz dem eeeh. As if it's the women alone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-paCj5ee4#t=01mm04 (pay close attention to the foward alone with the goalie at the start; what does this say about coaching at the highest level of Ja's youth league) The boyz have these bad habit which is left unchallenged and it surfaced in the national team. The video above shows poor team shape, poor decisions, poor passing, poor shooting, some good first touches here and there and some one on one skills hscattered about.

Should DCup be scrapped?

Comment

Even if they won the World Cup nobody watches that sh!t. It's a waste a time and money

Comment

Yuh sure?

Comment

Remember the WUSA?

Comment

yeeeess?

Comment

What channel I can watch it on?

Comment

It was on ABC

Comment

7 years ago Jawge. 7 years. It's not even like we suck but getting promotion out of it. We aint getting nuttin out of fielding a Reggae Girlz squad.

Comment

So why Arg. Brasil, Germany and others are fielding teams?

Comment

They can afford it...I guarantee they are subsidized by the men's team!!!!

Comment

So is Ja. My point was that our system of developing players of the game hast to change. The Girlz only amplify this point.

Comment

Working...
                            X