• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support us - Burrell

Support us - Burrell

Published: Wednesday | January 27, 2010

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Burrell
    WITH ONLY a few days to go before Jamaica's highly anticipated friendly international against Canada inside the National Stadium, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, is calling for support from local football fans.

Identified as the starting point of the Reggae Boyz 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign, the Canada friendly, which kicks off this Sunday at 7 p.m., will take on added significance in light of the Jamaica team's recent slip down the FIFA rankings. The Jamaicans were positioned at number 81 in the most recent FIFA ranking, representing a seven-place plummet down the table.

Said Burrell: "I am hoping that the public will come out and support us. We have made it clear that it (match) is the start of the 2014 campaign and I'm hoping that at the start of this campaign we will get the sort of support that I think the Reggae Boyz are deserving."

Conscious decision
    Burrell pointed out that his administration has taken a conscious decision to start their preparation for the next qualifying campaign earlier than in recent years as they eye a spot at the finals scheduled for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

"We have decided not to leave matters to the last moment as has happened in the past and, therefore, we are starting with our prepara-tion four years out, even before the World Cup commences this year; I think it is a great idea," Burrell stated.

Affordable tickets
    The top football administrator was quick to add that despite the increased costs associated with staging the football game, the JFF have done all they can to make the ticket prices as affordable as possible. In fact, the price for bleachers tickets has not been changed and Burrell is hoping that this will be reflected in the number of supporters who turn up.

"We have not increased the price for the bleachers and yet our overheads have all been increased," said Burrell. "The cost of the National Stadium has increased, the cost of security has been increased, the cost of our tickets; those costs have also been increased.

"Every single thing that goes into making a football game happen has been increased and therefore we really should have increased (bleachers ticket prices) but we have not.

"We have been charging $1,000 for bleachers tickets for a long time and I'm sure that the Jamaican football public is an educated one and I know that things are hard for all of us, but I'm sure they understand that unless they contribute, it will be difficult to bring teams here," Burrell explained.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...s/sports2.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

All the local forumites should attend this match, if unuh nuh go, unuh a nuh real fanz......
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

All international forumites should fly to jamaica and attend this match, if you unu dont forward, unu a nuh real fans.

Comment

You mean all international forumites should attend the games when they are played in their neck of the woods.

Comment

Understand the need for support and respect the plea by Burrell.

However the times have changed and we owe it to ourselves to change with the time too. The asking for support has to be backed up by a strong marketing and promotion infrastructure that will enable the fans to be part of the reggaeboyz experience.

We have to move beyond just wanting to make things happen to actually sitting down and planning all the way to the end.

There comes a time when we have to say that enough is enough
          The U-20 girls in Guatemala is one thing too. Working on focus and intensity is a process and can't be implemented or programmed into our spirits overnight.

It takes time and we have to sit and be humble and learn from our ancestors the gods from Africa who have done it before

Right now we are at the final hurdle. Here the mind is our problem as we think and act like westerners when we aren't. In due course when the slavemaster has finished with us we will have no choice but to turn back to the east to the wisdom of our ancestors.

Dah wisdom yah that we need for the next part of the hurdle is being blocked off by the religion foisted on us by our former slavemasters so we have to go beyond religion to spirituality to reclaim our greatness.

We are acting second-class because we dont' know our greatness as a people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpFgRmZK1g

Once we conquer the mind and realize that god is within us and a from god come wisdom then nothing can stop us

Comment

Mi flied down fi the Jamaica-Canada 2010 world cup match sah. Mi nuh mind flying down fi an important match, but dis is a friendly and local forumites haffi step forward.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

LOL . Nuh watch nutten Hortical, Shola just sensitive because he is one of the waggonist VIP stands crew.

Comment

Yes Ras, di marketing & promotion nah reach everyone. I talked to a bredrin (who has been in Jamaica for about a year now) last Sunday and he wasn't even aware that the match was on the 31st!(?) And dis is a man whe play nuff ball inna Miami, uppa JC pon Sunday mawning, and ova Constant Spring couple evenings a week.

As you opined: "The asking for support has to be backed up by a strong marketing and promotion infrastructure that will enable the fans to be part of the reggaeboyz experience."

I agree wholeheartedly. Leading up to France 98 and even up until 2002, I availed myself to attend nuff RBoyz games (Yard, USA & Central America), because I felt very much a part of the experience. It wasn't even about winning or losing, instead it was the involvement in the creation of ReggaeBoyz Football. Something is missing now, from the players straight through to the fans. I hope The Captain can rekindle the flame but it will take some doing to bring back the trust into a pragram in which we so fervently believed.

Yet, part of the missing magic is the lack of exciting players like Tappa, Boyd, Andy and the youthful Bibi. Coach Whitmore must now find the diamonds in the rough, smooth them out and give the fans something to look forward to. A Fanbase is more than just blind devotion; it is an energy born of an addiction and belief into something to which one feels kinship.

While we hold Mr Burrell accountable for bringing back the magic, Coach Whitmore must also take reponsibility for traveling the island to find talented and quality players. There is one in every league! If The Prof had looked only at the National league we would never have found Pepe Goodison!

I'm keeping hope alive!
                "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

mi a gwone save mi few pennies fi go and watch match .
                  Its in my plans fi guh watch a world cup qualifier next time.
                  Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                  United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                  happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                  Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Working...
                  X