Ancelotti's jibe at one man United

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancelotti's jibe at one man United

CARLO ANCELOTTI has branded Manchester United a one-man team - unlike his Chelsea outfit.

The Blues have won three games and scored 14 goals while Ivory Coast ace Drogba - who returns today - has been at the African Cup of Nations.
    But Chelsea manager Ancelotti believes United could not win the league without their 20-goal star striker Wayne Rooney.
    Ancelotti, whose team face Birmingham at home tonight, said: "With Didier not here we have had the chance to put in other strong, fantastic players. We have had Nicolas Anelka and Daniel Sturridge doing very well.
    "But without Rooney it would be difficult for United to win the title. He's a very decisive player for Manchester United.
    "We have a chance without Didier because we can put Anelka on, another top striker in the world.
    "We have to keep pace with Arsenal and United because I believe there will be a sprint finish to the final game."

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
    CARLO ANCELOTTI has branded Manchester United a one-man team - unlike his Chelsea outfit.

The Blues have won three games and scored 14 goals while Ivory Coast ace Drogba - who returns today - has been at the African Cup of Nations.
    But Chelsea manager Ancelotti believes United could not win the league without their 20-goal star striker Wayne Rooney.
    Ancelotti, whose team face Birmingham at home tonight, said: "With Didier not here we have had the chance to put in other strong, fantastic players. We have had Nicolas Anelka and Daniel Sturridge doing very well.
    "But without Rooney it would be difficult for United to win the title. He's a very decisive player for Manchester United.
    "We have a chance without Didier because we can put Anelka on, another top striker in the world.
    "We have to keep pace with Arsenal and United because I believe there will be a sprint finish to the final game."
    Him showing the fact that he is concerned. Everybody claimed the Empire was a one man team relying only on Ronaldo to win games. Ronaldo left and the comics wrote off the team. Now its January and MU is still in the runnings, ppl start panic.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

WAYNE ROONEY has certainly got more than most to smile about at the moment.

Twenty-one goals already under his belt, in the form of his life and a dramatic derby winner over the local rivals to book a Wembley return.
      Little wonder he was treating Old Trafford to a joyous somersaulting celebration on Wednesday night - even if the style left a little to be desired.
      But if there is one comment to put an even broader grin on Rooney's face, it is the suggestion Manchester United have become a one-man team.
      In fact just about the only thing to leave him chuckling as much are the claims from those who believe cracks are appearing in a club which has dominated football for two decades.
      Slugging it out for a fourth straight title, a Champions League knockout slot in the bank, a Carling Cup final date with Aston Villa next month... and just two goals short of his best-ever haul for a campaign.
      Still those cynics refuse to budge. On Saturday Rooney's four-goal salvo sent Hull packing, but was seen as proof of how he is carrying the side.
      So, too, were his breathtaking displays in the two-legged Carling Cup semi-final against City. In the eyes of those willing United to fail, at least.
      The man himself sees it somewhat differently.
      Rooney insisted: "I don't look on us as a one-man team or see it as a great burden on me, it's nonsense.
      "If I don't get the service, I can't score. If I don't, I expect others to, and we've done that well.
      "We've shared the goals out well and it's certainly not just about me. We expect to win as a team, not as individuals.
      "And I don't need to say too much at all to people who think that United are starting to slide.
      "Chelsea have a game in hand, but we're still up there, in a good position in the Champions League and the final of the Carling Cup. I can't see any slide from us at the minute."
      Little wonder that the feelgood factor is flooding around Old Trafford as much as ever. And for Rooney, all those goals have simply added to it.
      Yet amazingly, the man who has made a career out of bagging breathtaking strikes has yet to produce one from outside the box this term.
      In Rooney's eyes, that is irrefutable evidence United are just as much of a team as ever - even though he has often been a sole striker.
      He added: "It's so important to get the support of others when you're playing up front on your own, or it can be pretty lonely up there. Those who said I'm not an out-and-out goal-scorer are probably right. I always feel I could score more. I didn't used to get that many from inside the six-yard box in previous seasons.
      "But I've worked on my movement to create space and it's paying off. So far this season I've managed it - in fact I can't remember a goal I've scored from outside the box - and those tap-ins are down to the whole team, not one player."
      That team spirit was certainly put to the test at Old Trafford in midweek, when neighbours City saw their own Wembley dreams smashed in such dramatic fashion.
      Rooney was magnificent in the first-leg 2-1 defeat at Eastlands, but surpassed even that with his performance as United took the return 3-1, scoring the tie-winning goal in injury time.
      As far as the man himself is concerned, it was the perfect response to those who reckon we are about to witness a footballing power shift.
      He added: "City have done better this year and there are expectations of trophies. But I still think it will take time for anyone to get to where the top teams are at the moment.

var RStag = "";try{RStag = segQS;}catch(e){RStag = "";}document.write('');

"With United's history behind them, the titles they've won over the last 20 years, you can't get that after just one season. United are still by far the top club in the world.
      "We've won the last three titles and no one's managed four in a row, so we'd be creating history if we did. It's a lot tighter this year, but we are hopeful we can do it again."
      With a World Cup looming ever larger, the big fear for England fans now is going to South Africa with a burned-out Rooney, given his all-action approach.
      Yet the hard-as-nails Scouser would never even contemplate asking for a rest. He said: "It wouldn't be fair on your club if you were thinking of other things and not giving your all.
      "We have a week off before we meet up with England at the end of the season, so there's time for a break then. As a player it isn't nice not being involved. When you're watching, there's nothing you can do to influence things."
      In fact just about the only thing worse is coming off the field as second-best. It isn't something Rooney has had to develop a taste for.
      He admitted: "I just hate losing and that gives you an extra determination to work harder.
      "It's how I've been brought up. My mum and dad raised me to never give up and to be as strong as you can in everything."
      That strength will be needed more than ever come the summer in South Africa, when Rooney and Co carry the nation's World Cup hopes.
      It is a prospect that fills Rooney with relish, rather than fear. In fact just about the one thing which does frighten him is the England manager Fabio Capello.
      Rooney joked: "The manager is scary. He's got everyone more on their toes and because of that we have become a better team.
      "We did well in the qualifying stages and hopefully we can carry that into the finals and do better than previous tournaments.
      "But it's not hard to put the World Cup out of your mind, because the Premier League and Champions League are such big tournaments too.
      "In fact the only time I ever speak about it is in interviews. The only other thing taking the time is arranging flights for people - it's been doing my head in for weeks!"

Total90 Laser III

Now you know how defenders feel, Wayne. There are plenty of them whose heads have been similarly mashed trying to stop the United striker - just ask anyone at Eastlands.

Comment

Working...
      X