Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zola's hat-trick of new strikers

Zola's hat-trick of new strikers

HAT-TRICK ... Hammers' three new-signings Benni McCarthy, Mido and Brazilian striker Ilan

Mido really is a grand striker

MIDO has signed for West Ham on loan after offering to play for just £1,000-a-week

</IMG>

WEST HAM boss Gianfranco Zola is ready to go gung-ho after signing THREE new strikers on transfer deadline day.

Benni McCarthy finally completed his £2.5million switch from Blackburn and the Hammers also snapped up Mido on-loan from Middlesbrough and Brazil striker Ilan on a short-term deal.
    The busy day of transfer activity at Upton Park means that West Ham now have SEVEN first-team strikers at the club.
    Carlton Cole, Guillermo Franco, Freddie Sears and Frank Nouble were already on the books.
    McCarthy fell out with Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce and Zola cannot wait to see him put on a claret and blue shirt.
    Zola said: "He'll be a threat in the last third. He's a type of player that will score goals. He will be a big help for us.
    "I think he's got quality, which is what I'm looking for. He has got quality in the last 20 metres. He's got goals in his bag and that's what I need right now, and that's what I'm going to be asking him to produce for us.
    "He'll be around the box. Obviously a player like him, you have to keep him around the box, because he can be more effective like that."
    Fitness permitting, Zola revealed that the McCarthy-Carlton Cole partnership could be unleashed on Burnley at Turf Moor this Saturday afternoon.
    He said: "I think it will be a good partnership because Cole is strong and skilful and McCarthy is also smart and skilful, so I think they will find a good combination. Hopefully this week we're going to work on the fitness and on Saturday they're going to be good.
    "I think it will be a big help for Carlton, because it's going to give him the opportunity to be more relaxed and also the opposition will not only have to look after one player, they have to look after two players and that is a big thing. I think if they work together and help each other they can really be a big asset for us.
    "We are a very young team. We have a lot of young players in our squad so I think it's not wrong that we bring in somebody with the experience, football knowledge and also goals. So I think it's a good choice."

Ilan .. is this another Apple creation?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X