• Show
Clear All

• J'CAN TRIO DEPARTS FOR TRIALS AT MLS CLUBS Howard Walker Sun

J'CAN TRIO DEPARTS FOR TRIALS AT MLS CLUBS
    Howard Walker
    Sunday, February 21, 2010
    Jermaine Taylor, Lovell Palmer and Navion Boyd
    1/1
    NATIONAL players Jermaine Taylor, Navion Boyd and Lovel Palmer are expected to leave the island tomorrow for trials with US Major League clubs DC United and Houston Dynamo.

Tivoli Gardens' Striker Boyd, 23, and Harbour View's utility player Palmer, 25, will have try-outs with the Houston Dynamo.

Meanwhile central defender Taylor, 25, of Portland-based St Georges, was expected to join up with DC United some time ago, but should do so tomorrow.

Only recently, Rivoli United's striker Devon Hodges left for another US Major League outfit, Colorado Rapids, and 17-year-old schoolboy Marvin Morgan Jnr went to English Premier League team Birmingham City.

The Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA) last week announced that it has embarked on an ambitious initiative to catapult as many local footballers into the North American professional league as possible to generate much-needed funds for its struggling members.

The PLCA, headed by former Prime Minister Edward Seaga, revealed that the clubs are in dire straits financially as sponsors have cut back due to the prevailing economic climate.

With that in mind, other means of financing had to be sought, and the 'exporting' of top-quality players from the league could be a way of generating funds.

The initial plan of the PLCA is to try and place at least one player from each club, and Seaga said this programme holds much promise for Jamaican football.
    Last edited by Karl; February 21, 2010, 02:29 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

PLCA LOOKS ABROAD FOR INCOME OPPORTUNITY FOR MEMBERS

The Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA) has embarked on an ambitious initiative to catapult as many of its Digicel Premier League (DPL) players into the North American professional football franchises aimed at generating much- needed funds for its struggling members.

At a recent meeting of the Edward Seaga-led body, a review was commissioned to look into the financial condition of the clubs, and it was found that some of them are on the critical list as sponsors have cut back support due to the prevailing economic climate.

As a result, other means of financing for the clubs had to be sourced and it was agreed that the transfer of top-quality players could be a way to raise well-needed funds.

A member of PLCA, Pat Garel, who is well-established as a players' agent and who knows her way around the football markets, was given the task to spearhead the effort. And her main aim is to get as many players as possible into the North American leagues, particularly the marquis MLS where a number of Jamaicans have excelled and/or continue to excel.
    And the departure recently of Devon Hodges of Rivoli United Football Club for a trial stint with MLS club, Colorado Rapids in the United States, the PLCA claims, was not by chance but testimony that the programme has begun to bear fruits.

In addition to Hodges -- who was the DPL's leading scorer with 24 goals last season -- two other players are due to depart Monday for trials in Orlando.

The initial plan of the PLCA is to try and place at least one player from each club, and then possibly look to expand the programme in August when the transfer window reopens.

Also, a part of the over tall plan seeks to embrace having "younger players" travelling for summer training stints overseas lasting a few weeks.

"This is a programme that opens much promise for Jamaican football," the PLCA release quoted the PLCA chairman Seaga.
    Last edited by Karl; February 21, 2010, 02:30 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

ARGENTINE CAMEO BOOSTS JOHNSON'S CONFIDENCE
      BY OSHANE TOBIAS Observer writer

MANDEVILLE, Manchester -- He only played for three minutes and probably had just one touch of the ball, but for Manchester High schoolboy Jason Johnson -- making his international debut for the senior Reggae Boyz against the mighty Argentines in Argentina -- it was a "dream come true".
      And while he was not happy that they lost the game 1-2, after leading 1-0 up the 84th minute, Johnson said playing in that game meant "a lot" to him.
      "... It means a lot to me to be a part of the national senior team... to be the only schoolboy. I know that a lot of youngsters would like to be in my position right now, so it's a great feeling knowing that it's my dream coming true as well, " he said.

The 19-year-old striker who plays for Mile Gully FC in the Captain's Bakery Manchester Major League, recounted the moment when he was summoned by coach Theodore Whitmore to replace Omar Cummings in the 90th minute. For him, it was a shocker.

"I didn't realise until he (Whitmore) called me for the change. I was really surprised... nervous at first, but when I stepped on the field I notice that it was no different from playing with my own teammates," he said.

The young man who started his playing days at Knox College before moving to Manchester High where he is currently a sixth-former, said those three minutes will stay with him for years to come.

Johnson was the only one of several schoolboys invited to train with the national senior squad who made the trip to South America. His Manchester teammate Romena Bowie was also called to the previous camp, but did not make the final cut.

Reflecting on the time spent with the other players in the camp, Johnson said he was treated as an equal by everyone.
      "It was no different, they treated me the same... the rapport was good. We played games (together); we laughed... even at training. I wasn't treated any less than the other guys," said Johnson.
      "Even when I just got picked as the only schoolboy, all of the staff congratulated me and told me that being humble and working hard does pay off."

But, perhaps the single moment that stands out in his mind was a pep-talk he received from senior player Wolry Wolf.
      "... One day I was in training, but I wasn't performing that well and he saw that I could do better and he took me aside and told me to have more confidence and work hard. To me, I can see that the players saw the talent in me," he added.

Achieving all this at such a tender age, 'JJ', as he is called by his peers, said his confidence is sky-high.
      "Right now I feel like I can play with (Lionel) Messi and all those guys; that's where my confidence is", said Johnson, who was the second highest scorer in the rural area daCosta Cup competition with 20 strikes last season.

His performance was bettered only by good friend Desharn Brown (26) of champions St Elizabeth Technical High School.

In the sleepy community of Happy News in Alexandria, St Ann where he is from, the expectation is the same. "Everybody wants to talk to me... they're encouraging me to continue doing my best", he told Sporting World on Monday night at Manchester High School where he and four other youth players were honoured by the Manchester Football Association.

So in love with sport is Johnson that the lad has even decided that a career in physiotherapy is what he wants. He is subsequently thinking of taking up a scholarship offer in the United States.
      Last edited by Karl; February 21, 2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

SPORT

FIFA INTRODUCES SPORTS DIPLOMA AT UWI
        FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF president Jack Warner is commending the University of the West Indies, St Augustine Campus, for its dedication and commitment to raising the standard of sport administration in the region.

Warner's comments were made at the official launch of the Postgraduate Diploma in Sports Management programme at the Office of the Campus Principal last Friday.
        The programme, which commenced at the beginning of this month, is partnership between the University of the West Indies St Augustine Campus and The International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES).

The International Centre for Sports Study (CEIS) is a private foundation that was created by FIFA and is affiliated with the University of Neuchâtel.
        Warner believes the programme will provide sport administrators with the necessary tools to compete in a global market.
        "This programme, I am sure, will provide a coherent, academically rigorous, vocationally relevant and culturally specific education, which will enable our scholars throughout the region to develop to be critical and reflective leaders in the world of sport management."

The launch was the end result of an almost two-year negotiation period; a negotiation which was initiated by Warner.

Warner says the idea for the programme was germinated after numerous discussions with the youth of the nation.

"So many young minds want to move beyond the field, but they cannot find the avenue to exploit their passion for the sport beyond the field of play.

"I understand we have the passion and the drive; we have the know-how, but we show the world that like the giant nations in sport, we too can boast of world-class skills and we will have the paper to back this."

Warner, who is by many considered to be one of the most powerful men in sport in the region, congratulated all the men and women enrolled in the programme, saying it is a move which can only propel them forward.
        "Destiny is not a matter of choice, but the function of a prepared mind, and anything you wish and yearn for can be achieved," he said.

The FIFA executive says he is optimistic the issue of succession planning, which has been a sore point in all areas of sport, will finally be resolved through programmes such as this.

"The only way for us to predict the future that will make... us benefit is to have the power it. This postgraduate diploma in sports management gives us that power. Let us embrace it. Big thinking precedes big achievement.
        "This programme provides us with the responsibility in our time not to be prisoners of history, but shapers and definers of destiny to build bridges for others to cross."

This Postgraduate Diploma programme will focus on management, marketing, finance, law, communication, event management and facilities management.

It will be co-ordinated by the Faculty of Social Sciences, and will be housed by an Institute of Sport Studies, which will be established under the umbrella of the UWI Sport and Physical Education Centre (SPEC).
        Last edited by Karl; February 21, 2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you MLS , for continuing to develop our youth system ...well thats as good as it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            SPORT

FIFA INTRODUCES SPORTS DIPLOMA AT UWI
            FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF president Jack Warner is commending the University of the West Indies, St Augustine Campus, for its dedication and commitment to raising the standard of sport administration in the region.
            Warner's comments were made at the official launch of the Postgraduate Diploma in Sports Management programme at the Office of the Campus Principal last Friday.
            The programme, which commenced at the beginning of this month, is partnership between the University of the West Indies St Augustine Campus and The International Centre for Sports Studies (CIES).
            The International Centre for Sports Study (CEIS) is a private foundation that was created by FIFA and is affiliated with the University of Neuchâtel.
            Warner believes the programme will provide sport administrators with the necessary tools to compete in a global market.
            "This programme, I am sure, will provide a coherent, academically rigorous, vocationally relevant and culturally specific education, which will enable our scholars throughout the region to develop to be critical and reflective leaders in the world of sport management."
            The launch was the end result of an almost two-year negotiation period; a negotiation which was initiated by Warner.
            Warner says the idea for the programme was germinated after numerous discussions with the youth of the nation.
            "So many young minds want to move beyond the field, but they cannot find the avenue to exploit their passion for the sport beyond the field of play.
            "I understand we have the passion and the drive; we have the know-how, but we show the world that like the giant nations in sport, we too can boast of world-class skills and we will have the paper to back this."
            Warner, who is by many considered to be one of the most powerful men in sport in the region, congratulated all the men and women enrolled in the programme, saying it is a move which can only propel them forward.
            "Destiny is not a matter of choice, but the function of a prepared mind, and anything you wish and yearn for can be achieved," he said.
            The FIFA executive says he is optimistic the issue of succession planning, which has been a sore point in all areas of sport, will finally be resolved through programmes such as this.
            "The only way for us to predict the future that will make... us benefit is to have the power it. This postgraduate diploma in sports management gives us that power. Let us embrace it. Big thinking precedes big achievement.
            "This programme provides us with the responsibility in our time not to be prisoners of history, but shapers and definers of destiny to build bridges for others to cross."
            This Postgraduate Diploma programme will focus on management, marketing, finance, law, communication, event management and facilities management.
            It will be co-ordinated by the Faculty of Social Sciences, and will be housed by an Institute of Sport Studies, which will be established under the umbrella of the UWI Sport and Physical Education Centre (SPEC).
            A great location for some Concacaf folks and it's leaders?

Maybe we could have the UWI-Mona start a football and science degree that was sugested to them 5 years ago when GSM sat down with them for the development of a football academy. What a great opportunity for Jamaica with the right curriculum and instructors for growing football in concacaf and region beyond. They could model it after http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/sportandexerci...nces/70539.htm but model it for the regions needs. I know of several coaches who have this degree and they have been very pleased.

Paul Banta

Comment

Always knew i would see the day when mam 'n man a large-up MLS bush league............
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Good move by the NPL and their management, especially for player development but I can't see this as a financial winner. MLS tight with the money. However a step in the right direction.
                question now is is the PCLA going involve themselves in transfer fee and player management or it goes straight to the clubs?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X