Superb Rooney inspires Man U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superb Rooney inspires Man U

Wayne Rooney came off the bench to head the winner as Manchester United retained the Carling Cup by coming from behind to beat Aston Villa 2-1 at Wembley.
    Replaced by Michael Owen in the starting line-up, Rooney came on for his injured team-mate before half-time and then guided home the winning goal 16 minutes from time.
    Villa had enjoyed a dream start when taking the lead on five minutes after James Milner coolly sent Tomasz Kuszczak the wrong way from the penalty spot after Nemanja Vidic was fortunate not to be sent off for bringing down Gabriel Agbonlahor.
    United were level less than 10 minutes later, though, when Dimitar Berbatov robbed Richard Dunne of possession and, while the Villa defender recovered to tackle the Bulgarian, the loose ball was swept home from just inside the box by Owen.
    But Owen failed to last the half as his injury jinx struck again and he was replaced by Rooney before United almost went into the break in front when Park Ji-sung's shot thudded off the post and bounced clear off Carlos Cuellar.
    Brad Friedel produced an excellent save from Michael Carrick early in the second period, but was beaten on 74 minutes when Antonio Valencia, after a slick one-two with Berbatov, stood a cross up for Rooney to guide a header beyond the Villa keeper's reach.
    Rooney headed another Valencia cross against the base of the upright moments later and, though Emile Heskey's header deflected on to the top of the crossbar, Villa were unable to prevent United from winning back-to-back cup competitions for the first time in the club's history.
    Flying start

Villa's flying start meant there was no chance of either side being allowed to turn this into the sterile affair many had predicted.
    At the time, Martin O'Neill questioned how Vidic avoided a card of any kind for his foul on Agbonlahor.
    As the contest wore on, and an increasing number of his own players ended up in Phil Dowd's notebook, the criticism grew.
    If Agbonlahor had gone down when Vidic first grabbed his shirt, the card should have been red. Instead, the Villa striker admirably attempted to stay on his feet after outpacing the Serbian to reach Ashley Young's lofted pass beyond the United defence.
    In the end, it was too much. Vidic stuck out a leg and hauled Agbonlahor down. Milner kept his nerve, sending Kuszczak the wrong way to provide the contest with the start it craved.
    As tends to be the case when they fall behind, United's response was an all-out attacking assault, which in turn provided Villa with space to counter.
    The mixture produced a thrilling spectacle, made all the more absorbing because Sir Alex Ferguson's team levelled so quickly.
    So solid all season, it was just Dunne's luck his blunder should come in Villa's biggest game of the year.

Instinctive

The Irishman was robbed by Berbatov inside his own half, and though he made up the ground, in making his despairing tackle, Dunne only succeeded in rolling the ball into Owen's path, offering the kind of instinctive first-time finish he has made a career out of.
    That Owen's contribution - and Rooney's exile - came to an end three minutes before the break was cause for regret, although the watching Fabio Capello has long since deduced those dodgy hamstrings cannot be trusted through another World Cup campaign.
    Capello was probably also reaching the conclusion Stephen Warnock should be handed his problematic left-back berth against Egypt on Wednesday.
    But when Warnock slipped just before half-time, man-of-the-match Valencia galloped past him down the by-line, his cross eventually arriving at the feet of Park, who slammed it onto the inside of a post, where it rocketed across goal for Cuellar to hack clear.
    Friedel palmed away a magnificently constructed effort from Carrick after half-time, although Villa were United's equals and could easily have levelled when Young sent a volley bouncing into the ground.

Decisive moment

The decisive moment arrived on 74 minutes when Berbatov nonchalantly flicked Valencia's pass back into the Ecuadorian's path and he lifted up a cross for Rooney to loop a header into the net.
    Rooney almost made the game safe four minutes later, with Valencia again the provider as the England ace's header came back off the post with Friedel beaten.
    Villa responded in kind, Vidic deflecting Heskey's header onto his own bar and then Dunne nodded wide after steaming in to meet Stewart Downing's cross at the far post.
    But Villa were unable to force Kuszczak into another save and Valencia had a chance to kill off his team's opponents when lashing wide in stoppage-time.

Congrats to lucky BoyU!

...Vidic should have had his marching orders!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Enjoy this cup success because it's the only trophy unu winning this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Congrats to lucky BoyU!

...Vidic should have had his marching orders!
        Aston Villa see red over Carling Cup final defeat to Manchester United

Off the hook: Vidic brings down Agbonlahor, but while Villa took the lead from the spot, the referee's failure to dismiss the Manchester United defender was labelled "inexplicable" by O'Neill

James Ducker, Northern Football Correspondent

gSiteLife.Recommend("ExternalResource", "7044737","http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article7044737.ece");

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;} Martin O’Neill launched a scathing attack on Phil Dowd last night, effectively accusing the referee of costing his team the Carling Cup.
        Wayne Rooney came off the substitutes’ bench to score the winning goal — his twentieth in as many matches — as Manchester United came from behind to beat Aston Villa 2-1 at Wembley and retain the trophy.
        But O’Neill was furious at Dowd’s “inexplicable” decision not to send off Nemanja Vidic in the fifth minute after the United defender had hauled down Gabriel Agbonlahor in the penalty area. James Milner scored from the spot, but Vidic escaped even a yellow card despite denying Agbonlahor a clear goalscoring opportunity.
        Even Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that United “got a lucky break there”.
        function slideshowPopUp(url){pictureGalleryPopupPic(url);re turn false;}

O’Neill, the Villa manager, said: “I think it was plain for all to see. It was an inexplicable decision and I really can’t understand it. It was a goalscoring opportunity in the penalty area. It was a mistake from an otherwise fine referee who’s got it wrong.
        “Anyone would really be wondering how he could come to any other conclusion. In a few days it’s all forgotten and we’re losing finalists.”
        Richard Dunne, the Villa defender, claimed the dismissal of Vidic would not have made a difference as United played for 61 minutes with ten men in the Barclays Premier League match at Villa Park last month and were still the better team, but O’Neill dismissed such suggestions.
        “Richard’s a great lad and I totally disagree with him,” O’Neill said. “Just because someone plays well with ten men in one particular match ... this is a different game. You are talking about Wembley and all that goes with that in one particular match. I wouldn’t have liked to play against us with ten men for 85 minutes.
        “It was a major point in the game. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the first, second or the 90th minute, it’s straightforward. So straightforward it’s incredible.”
        Vidic, however, defended himself. “I don’t think it was a sending-off,” the Serbia defender said. “I was in front of him [Agbonlahor], not behind him, and he was going away from goal.”
        United drew level in the twelfth minute through Michael Owen, but the striker limped off shortly before half-time with a hamstring injury, paving the way for Rooney to steal the show once again with another header 16 minutes from time. But the goal may have come at a cost.
        Rooney revealed he had been struggling with a sore knee for the past few weeks and had considered being substituted before he scored. The striker will be assessed by England’s medical staff before a decision is taken over whether he is fit to face Egypt at Wembley in a friendly match on Wednesday.
        “I have had a bit of a problem with my knee for a couple of weeks,” Rooney said. “I even thought about coming off today. I’ll have to get the England doctor to have a look at it.” Ferguson said: “The doctor is assessing it at the minute. I do not know what England will do about it.”
        There was better news for Ferguson on Rio Ferdinand, the defender claiming he has recovered from a recurrence of his back injury and will be fit for the league game away to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
        “I’m all right,” Ferdinand said. “I’ve been training this week. Obviously I haven’t played any games to be fit enough to play for England. It has only been a minor setback. It’s just been precautionary, me not playing, to make sure it doesn’t get any worse.”
        “But I’m fine now, no problems. I’ll be fit to play against Wolves at the weekend if selected.”

Comment

Everybody seems stuck on Vidic not being red carded. Wait ... when Manchester United was down 0-1 to Liverpool and Michael Owen was breaking away onto goal, Caragher (sp) took him out and all was given was a free kick.

Where was the outrage of all these hypocrites then asking for a red card for the Liverpool defender? Calls have gone against my team, so whats the big deal when things even themselves out?

Wish Owen a speedy recovery. Mi start to fret now cause it appears Rooney cyaan score wid him feet nuh more.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Everybody seems stuck on Vidic not being red carded. Wait ... when Manchester United was down 0-1 to Liverpool and Michael Owen was breaking away onto goal, Caragher (sp) took him out and all was given was a free kick.

Where was the outrage of all these hypocrites then asking for a red card for the Liverpool defender? Calls have gone against my team, so whats the big deal when things even themselves out?

Wish Owen a speedy recovery. Mi start to fret now cause it appears Rooney cyaan score wid him feet nuh more.
            So you are disagreeing that the correct action by the ref would have been a red card?

...or are you just overlooking that and the possible impact that would have had on Villa's chances?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              So you are disagreeing that the correct action by the ref would have been a red card?

...or are you just overlooking that and the possible impact that would have had on Villa's chances?
              I don't really give 5HIT wha you losers have to say... at the end of the day its who get the trophy. Villa shoulda get 5. Then again, what difference would it mek? When both teams played at Villa Park Nani got a red card and the team with 10 players pinned Villa back. Suh what dem a fuss bout?

I'd love to get Graham Poll's reaction to that call. When the incident happened in the Liverpool game he agreed with the ref and mi say cool. I wonder if him change him tune now?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
              X