• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARSENAL NEWS Surgeon offers hope over Ramsey injury

ARSENAL NEWS

Surgeon offers hope over Ramsey injury

March 1, 2010

The surgeon who operated on Arsenal forward Eduardo's horrific leg injury has offered hope to Gunners fans praying Aaron Ramsey makes a full recovery from a similar setback.

GettyImages
    Aaron Ramsey lies injured on the pitch.

Ramsey was stretchered off and taken straight to hospital after breaking his tibia and fibula in a challenge with Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross on Saturday.

He underwent surgery which the club revealed "successfully reduced the fractures", and Dr Khalid Baloch is cautiously optimistic that the 19-year-old - rated as one of the most promising young players in the Premier League - could one day return at the same level.

"If it's a straightforward fracture that's been dealt with appropriately with intensive physio then you stand a good chance of returning back to the previous level of activity," he said.

"It is quite variable. The simplest fractures may heal up in two or three months and then there is a period of rehabilitation involved - especially with elite-level athletes.

"On the other hand, if it's a very serious injury it may take many months for the area to heal up and return back to functional activities. You've got a time period of anywhere from two or three months to six months for recovery.

"If it's a simple fracture then he is more likely to return to his previous level of activity. As the injury becomes more severe then obviously the rehabilitation is much harder and it's harder to return back to activity."

Having had a first-hand view of Eduardo's injury - suffered as a result of Birmingham defender Martin Taylor's challenge two years ago - at Selly Oak Hospital in the West Midlands, Dr Baloch is well qualified to speak on Ramsey's situation.

And he said: "If you look at the way Ramsey was tackled, it looks a fairly similar mechanism of injury (to Eduardo). There are lots of bones around that area so it's difficult to know whether it's the same bone that has been injured or not, but the area that's been injured is similar.

"There are different levels of fracture, which would have different treatment options. With anyone who breaks the lower part of their leg, what you do is look to reduce the fragments, or the bone pieces, back to where they should be and then they are held by screws or plate

"It varies on exactly where the fracture is but in principle that is what you would do for a fracture around that area."

On the rehabilitation process, he added: "Initially most people are trying to get a range of movement back and also try to build up the muscles around that limb and reduce swelling and discomfort, that is the early phase of the rehabilitation process.

"Beyond that phase there is an increase in the range of impact activities with gradual progression to running and then back to sporting activities over a minimum six to 12 months."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Injured Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey in 'good spirits'

Injured Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey in 'good spirits'

Ramsey underwent surgery on Saturday evening following the injury at Stoke

John Toshack has revealed his injured Wales star Aaron Ramsey is "comfortable and in good spirits" in hospital after his horrific double leg break.

The Arsenal teenager had surgery to fix fractures to the tibia and fibula in his right leg after a challenge by Ryan Shawcross in their 3-1 win at Stoke.
    Wales boss Toshack said: "He is as comfortable as can be expected.

"He seemed in surprisingly decent spirits when I spoke to him. We hope he has a speedy and successful recovery."

The Welsh midfielder's double compound fracture at the Britannia Stadium had echoes of the injury sustained by Arsenal team-mate Eduardo at Birmingham two years ago.

And the surgeon who operated on Eduardo's injury has offered hope by saying Ramsey should make a full recovery from the similar setback.

Toshack admits Ramsey 'blow'

The 19-year-old was stretchered off and taken straight to hospital after the challenge by Shawcross on Saturday, an incident in which the Stoke defender was sent off.

"It is a horrific injury, it makes you want to vomit," said Toshack. "It is a sad and unfortunate incident. I saw the aftermath of the injury and I thought 'oh no.'

"I still haven't seen the incident on TV, I have just seen the disturbing photographs in the newspapers and you can imagine how I felt.

"For anybody it is a sad, sad thing but for a young player like Aaron who has improved immensely over the last six or seven months.

"And the last couple of games we felt as though we are on the right lines with him, so this is a big blow for all of us involved with Wales - but the main thing is the player's welfare at the moment."

Dr Khalid Baloch, who operated on Eduardo, said: "If it's a straightforward fracture that's been dealt with appropriately with intensive physio then you stand a good chance of returning back to the previous level of activity.

"It is quite variable, the simplest fractures may heal up in two or three months and then there is a period of rehabilitation involved - especially with elite-level athletes.

"On the other hand, if it's a very serious injury it may take many months for the area to heal up and return back to functional activities.

"You've got a time period of anywhere from two or three months to six months for recovery. If it's a simple fracture then he is more likely to return to his previous level of activity.

"As the injury becomes more severe then obviously the rehabilitation is much harder and it's harder to return back to activity.

I have not seen the tackle again but when I first saw it, I do not think it was a dirty tackle - maybe a bit late but no more

Stoke City defender Glenn Whelan
    "If you look at the way Ramsey was tackled, it looks a fairly similar mechanism of injury (to Eduardo).

"There are lots of bones around that area so it's difficult to know whether it's the same bone that has been injured or not, but the area that's been injured is similar.

"With anyone who breaks the lower part of their leg, what you do is look to reduce the fragments, or the bone pieces, back to where they should be and then they are held by screws or plates.

"It varies on exactly where the fracture is but in principle that is what you would do for a fracture around that area."

Turning to the rehabilitation process, Dr Baloch added: "Initially most people are trying to get a range of movement back and also try to build up the muscles around that limb and reduce swelling and discomfort, that is the early phase of the rehabilitation process.

"Beyond that phase there is an increase in the range of impact activities with gradual progression to running and then back to sporting activities over a minimum six to 12 months."

Gunners manager Arsene Wenger has condemned the tackle on Ramsey as "horrendous and unacceptable" while he also criticises Stoke's overall approach.

While Arsenal great Bob Wilson has called on football authorities to act in the wake of Ramsey's horrific injury.

He said: "The game has moved forward but the Football Association and the Premier League are content to have a brutal side to the game.

He added: "In my opinion this is born out of most managers and coaches facing Arsenal, plus media pundits and even ex-players, instructing their players to get in their faces.

"Arsenal are a relatively small team. Opposing players are told to shake them up, get in their faces, tackle hard, bully them. I would defy coaches and managers to deny that is the case.
    606: DEBATE
    The physical approach is a tactic much admired in the English game, which explains perhaps why this country produces so few skilful players

Arsenalsuccess
    "The tackle by Ryan Shawcross was at best mistimed, at worst reckless and desperate."

Former Gunners keeper Wilson, who had a 40-year association with Arsenal, revealed he had contacted Ramsey after the incident at the Britannia Stadium.

"I was told that he was feeling very little pain following surgery," said Wilson so I sent a text to Aaron and I received a little message back saying 'I'm doing OK'.

"But it is a career-threatening injury, a double compound fracture.
    "In the time I played, Don Howe had a similar injury, tibia and fibula through the skin, which is obviously horrific, and he didn't play again.

"Clearly it's a huge setback but I think Aaron will be back. Modern science will aid that recovery. He's a very, very special talent."

Stoke midfielder Glen Whelan had a first-hand view of the incident, helping comfort the Arsenal youngster as he lay in agony.

"I was just trying to do what I could to take the lad's mind off it," said Whelan.

"The lad held onto me with the pain he was going through, and I was telling him not to think about it. He was in a state of shock.

Stoke defender Shawcross left the field in tears after being sent off

"The medical team came on as quickly as possible, and then you just let them take over.

"First and foremost, everyone hopes the young lad gets back as soon as possible, and at the standard he plays at, because he looks a terrific player.

"I was the next one in from the tackle, and saw what had gone on. I was just trying to take the lad's mind off it.

"For Shawcross, he was disappointed what has happened to the boy.

"I have not seen the tackle again but when I first saw it, I do not think it was a dirty tackle - maybe a bit late but no more.

"I do not think anyone goes into a tackle looking to break a leg or injure a player, but there is fine line between being hard and being dirty.

"The two players could go in for that tackle 100 times again and nothing would happen. Hopefully this was just a one-off."

Ramsey joined Arsenal in June, 2008, as a highly rated 17-year-old for £5m from Cardiff City.

He has made 29 appearances in all competitions this season, scoring four times.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Aaron Ramsey's injury is 'not career-threatening,' but is not prepared to give a prediction of when the Wales international will return.
      The 19-year-old suffered a double fracture to his right leg after a late challenge by Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross in Arsenal's 3-1 victory at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.
      The midfielder was rushed to hospital to undergo emergency surgery following the incident, but the Gunners' boss was positive that despite Ramsey's predictably sombre mood he would be able to play again.
      "He is as low as you can be when this happens to you and you are flying. Of course we were all very sad and very down after what happened to him," Wenger told the club's official website.
      "The good news is the surgery went well and it is not a career-threatening injury. But it is two breaks and to get back to your best you need not only practice again but you need time to recover your coordination.
      "He is a young boy and he will recover from this but it is a bad injury."
      No deadline

Despite the positive news about the youngster, who was making a serious impression on the Arsenal first-team this season, Wenger refused to be drawn on putting a date on Ramsey's comeback.
      "It is too far away to set any realistic deadline," he added.
      "The one thing we can do now is give him all the support it takes.
      "Also it gives us one more reason to fight [for the title] until the end. We want to do it for him."

Comment

Working...
      X