No announcement yet.

Champions League better than World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champions League better than World Cup?

This topic might have been argued here before but I never saw it so let me broach it here.

I dont always listen to Orville Higgings on KLAS FM primarily because he is a nit wit and only knows about cricket and little else and loves to stor controversy and thenbeat his chest about always being right.

However today he mentioned something on his radio commentary that some one had mentioned for various reasons that the Champins league was better than the World Cup and I found myself agreeing with the various points he made.

Among the points were that players in club teams spent far more time with each other than players in national teams and so were able to play better football.

Clubs are not restricted by nationality when buying players and so the very rich clubs can have up to two or more world classed players at any one position.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

I am sure he made some good points, but nothing compares to country vs country. When fans of Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Everton, Burnley, Leeds, Yeovil and even Leyton Orient can all come together to support their country, nothing beats that. The World Cup brings about support from people who wouldn't normally watch football matches, while Champions League is for die hard fans.

The standard of football is not even that important as the rivalry. Sure, we would expect a Chelsea to beat England or a ManU to beat France, because their players, man for man, should be better, but that is secondary to the country thing. And then, we cannot be sure if those clubs would even win those matches in the first place! In some cases, half the country's team may be playing for the club, so it might be impossible to even tell.

That's my opinion, of course!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Granted but why you bring in a Chinese team with the British ones?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

wc is good for patriotism...it doesn't get any better than that!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

not only that. World Cup is good for the different flavors. As different teams carry different things from various part of the world. How can you compare what Brazil, Ghana, Jamaica etc. bring to a world cup? In Champions league all the best ballers are already known. In world cup there is always some surprise players who comes to the forefront.

Champions league is like the NPL with pure Kingston and St.Catherine teams.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The CL is not even close to the intensity, popularity, and excitement of the WC. During the WC I will make an effort to watch every match, however, there are CL scrub teams that do not peak any interest.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              The CL is not even close to the intensity, popularity, and excitement of the WC. During the WC I will make an effort to watch every match, however, there are CL scrub teams that do not peak any interest.
              Come on there are teams in the World Cup that no one would be rushing to watch as well. Games involving New Zealand comes to mind. Not even close? Now that they've streched the round of 16 allowing viewers to watch more games, plus the final is going to be on a Saturday .. we'll find out when the numbers come in.

What I like about the UCL is that there are players who represent a country that will not play in this World Cup. Eg. Arshavin, Valencia, Džeko, Jovetic to name a few. Plus there are players who are doing great in the UCL but may not make their national team such as Ronaldinho, Pato and Carrick. Then there are teams that are able to put talent from various countries together such as Xavi, Messi and a Zlatan and see how they click on the field.

However, the WC is better as fans from bitter rivals come together and the hope of an underdog team beating one of the favourites.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

there are a ton more players who will not play in the CL.
                The CL is not as diverse as the World Cup when it comes to ball. World Cup make many bigtime CL baller look like ordinary players. When you add the African flavor, The South American Skill, the Asian running and the level playing field the world cup way outclass the CL in my view. CL for most part just have a European style game while the world cup present everything.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  there are a ton more players who will not play in the CL.
                  The CL is not as diverse as the World Cup when it comes to ball. World Cup make many bigtime CL baller look like ordinary players. When you add the African flavor, The South American Skill, the Asian running and the level playing field the world cup way outclass the CL in my view. CL for most part just have a European style game while the world cup present everything.
                  Diverse? Bredren, the BEST players from South America and Africa ply their trade where? I think it was last season I read an article that in one round Brazil had the most player playing. One is entitled to one's opinion still but to talk as if the African flavor, The South American Skill, the Asian running isn't in the UCL then you need to look again.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Not because the players in the UCL but the teams play different. Most of the highly rate European team except Arsenal, Barca and Madrid to some extent play a straight European game. All the team from Italy, Germany, most from Spain all play the European game. The diversity I am talking about is not one player been included in a team but teams playing there natural game.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Not because the players in the UCL but the teams play different. Most of the highly rate European team except Arsenal, Barca and Madrid to some extent play a straight European game. All the team from Italy, Germany, most from Spain all play the European game. The diversity I am talking about is not one player been included in a team but teams playing there natural game.
                      Okay .. get yuh!

Comment

The quality of football in the champion's league is by far better.

I think many of you guys on the forum are still being nostalgic about the quality of football that was played in the 60's and 70's and maybe 80's. There has been a definite drop in the quality of football and level of copitition especially since 2002.

Look at the teams that won the world cups before, all were memorable, England 1966, Brazil 1970, Argentina 78, Italy 82, Argentina 86. Look at even the other teams that competed.

The Italian team that won the world cup 2006 doesn't even deserve to be on the pitch with the dutch team of the 70's that didn't even lift the trophy.

The world cup will always be the bigger and biggest spectacle because of the history and what it represents but the teams that participate in the champions league without a doubt are currently playing the better football.

Maybe things will change though.
                        Last edited by Shola; March 13, 2010, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Is it that the quality drop or other teams have improved? Plenty of the traditional teams struggle. The Drogba, Essien, Park etc. have been moving to EPL at the expense of English players. Same thing in other countries. I don't think the standard has dropped. It is more teams take it seriously now.

Comment

Not true at all, every year we discover some new player in the CL, for example who can forget Yuttie's excitement when the hitherto fore unknown Drogba made his presence felt in a CL game and the next thing we know there was a bidding war for his services.

How about a few seasons ago when Celtic made their run?
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

I don't think it is half as much as in the world cup in terms of players discovered. Yes I remember the Celtic run but it is more like every four year you find that kind of a run by a team.

CL is good but maybe because I like to see different styles and sometimes not the rigid structure that the European give. Have you ever seen a Germany vs England game? Now tell me it not nicer to watch a Nigeria vs Mexico game.

Comment

Working...
                              X