• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Girl pleads for women's football

Reggae Girl pleads for women's football
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Senior Reggae Girl Alicia Wilson (right) poses with hubby, Costa Rican Oscar Lopez and daughter Kiana, at the Morera Soto Stadium here on Saturday. (Photo: Sean Williams)

1/1

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica -- Alicia Wilson's voice was laced with pain, but with a faint hint of optimism as she begged for the life of women's football in Jamaica.

Wilson, a senior player based here, said the axing of the senior and Olympic women's programmes by the cash-strapped Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) was a bitter pill to swallow.

"It's never a good thing to scrap, especially the women's programme which has evolved so much... there are several professional leagues around the world and I think cutting that will diminish the opportunities for our players to go into these leagues," she said.

Wilson, 31, said her gravest concern surrounds the young players who have worked hard to develop their craft and she feared the social fallout from the move will have a far-reaching impact.

"I'm really worried for the younger generation of Jamaican women's footballers because I think we have the potential... what about the players who are coming from the ghetto like me? How would I be here if there wasn't a programme?" she asked.

"Maybe I would have had five or six children in the community without an education or job, so I'm begging corporate Jamaica to come on board and think of us as their daughters, who you're trying to give an opportunity through the sport," pleaded Wilson, who was born and raised in the tough community of Flankers in Montego Bay.

Wilson, who plays professionally here for premiership team Escazu, said she is far from convinced that those in charge of developing women's football is doing their job.
    "I don't think we have the people behind the programme to push it," she said.
    Wilson said all of the opportunities which have been afforded her in life so far were made possible with her involvement with Jamaica's football, and claims she dreads the looming prospects that the programme cuts could deny other young women to better their lives.

"I'm always grateful because it (Jamaica football) has given me a family and has allowed me to travel, have an education and a job... I have a bachelors degree in psychology and a masters in exercise science and I'm actually working with computers right now," said the Jamaican defender, who has been living in Costa Rica with husband Oscar Lopez and two-year-old daughter Kiana Lopez.
    "Right now I'm kind of a soccer mom and I also play here in Costa Rica in the premier division, and currently have six goals in the league where I am playing striker," she said.
    Wilson, who tried her hand at netball, volleyball and basketball before settling with football, said she would be happy to represent her country again if the dying senior programme is revived.

"If Jamaica decides to continue with the programme, I would definitely think about it," she told the Observer at Jamaica's second game against Mexico in the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifying tournament here last Saturday.

"Personally, I always feel honoured to represent my country, and then it's so (the cut) difficult because I would have had another opportunity to play in the World Cup, and I have always believed that we can go (to the World Cup), but we are just lacking in the resources...," she noted.

Wilson has played semi-pro football in the USA where she first had a stint with New Jersey Wild Cats before moving to Iceland for a stint as well.
    "With the New Jersey Wildcats, I won the national championships in 2005. I then went to Iceland to play in 2006 and 2007, and I got paid, so I guess that's professional football, right?" she said.

Wilson, who is a cousin to Under-17 player Shauntae Brown, hails Vin Blaine as a good coach and believes with the right assistance, he could move Jamaica's women's football forward.

"Vin has a vision for the game and he has a view of how Jamaica should play... he knows what the players are thinking and he knows what they can take," she ended.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...pleads_7485392
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Heart wrenching but the woman's program is a waste a damn time.

Comment

Not really, they have done at the very least as good as the boyz, and with far less resources.
      I like our chances of winning the women WC than the men winning.., but that's just me, how about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        I like our chances of winning the women WC than the men winning.
        Did you add rum to your tea this morning?
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

My last glass of juice was when I was a teenager,not even beer since boss.
          Do you know FIFA ranking regarding both teams?I think if the girlz are given the same support the boyz get, they would do(and I am aware of the high scores..in defeat)better than our boyz have.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
          X