Tony Becca - Don't do it - at least not with the people's money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Tony Becca - Don't do it - at least not with the people's money

Karl, I thank God you are not in the government. I am sorry to say it, but from your relative position of privilege you can post all that nonsense and pick Tilla's post apart. I think Tilla's reasoning is right on. I would love to take you on a tour of some places in Ja that you have never been to and let you see what this is really about. Some little things you take for granted and dont even think of are leaving people on the brink of disaster. Some places that flood could be fixed properly, etc. etc.
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Tilla (8/19/2006)Part of the problem with your posts Karlus, is that they can be to damn long. Anyway, before I make a run on the road (have important business to take care of), let me say this. I am saying that government should decide on what are its priorities before spending public funds on a coach. Here is an example of misplaced priority. A man is struggling to find money to pay his monthly mortgage, but he finds a way to come up with money to spend US$8000 on a new 60" plasma TV. Is that not misplaced priority? If you see it as is, then it would be the same with government.

I am not saying Government cannot invest in a coach, it is just that there has to be the time and place for it. You cannot be spending on luxury when you are lacking some of the very basics for human existence. Anyway, Jamaican people do this everyday, so it would not be anything new. . .
      ...and, that is the point! Is it a luxury to invest in a coach?

As you rightly alluded - it must be pluses on one side - minuses on the other...and then a decision on what is to be done.

Your previous post...and, you still attempt to ignore here...made it appear there were are no plusses to Jamaica in investing in a coach. If we move from football to other parts of the economy youyour argument claims - prioritising means first pay out on items that do not of themselves bring in cash.

...and, you say that even as you admit that a improved football industry will in your words generate many jobs and make much money.

It isone of the tasks of governments to aid in creation of atmosphere for job growth and inflows of money...and, thus among other things generate increased taxes to aid in providing more goods and services then tellwhy the football industry, which as you say will do those things, should be overlooked by the government?

I hope you are not suggesting that all of the money government takes in should go into keepingthings as they are? I do hope you believe in investing in all our industries that will give potential greatest monetary returns?

Aside:

In 2004 as reported by Samuels from Hanover the JFF took in in excess of $300,000,000 dollars. I wonder what sum our entire football industry generated? I wonder what were the figures on persons employed -directly and indirectly? What was the total effect on the economy?

Funds circulating annually as a result of activities in this industry? Billions?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Westman (8/19/2006)Karl, I thank God you are not in the government. I am sorry to say it, but from your relative position of privilege you can post all that nonsense and pick Tilla's post apart. I think Tilla's reasoning is right on. I would love to take you on a tour of some places in Ja that you have never been to and let you see what this is really about. Some little things you take for granted and dont even think of are leaving people on the brink of disaster. Some places that flood could be fixed properly, etc. etc.
        I hear you!

On another note - I do not think you can show me more on suffering of our people! I have traveled my country far and wide.

...and, my position of privilege as you call it is not too far removed from drinking "bush tea"....& guh a bush.Going to bed hungry...having no shoes, having no even a jackass for transportation...and, wearing clothes with holes in them. Fetching water on head from spring and pond. Walking more than a mile to the Post Office. Walking more thanI mile to school.

You seen to forget thatI was born in the '40s. ...and, btw - my family is huge. We have kept ties. Never relinquished those ties...and, some of us are still in poverty. Others just making headway.

Westman I havegreat first hand experiences.

Remember we are all making it out of the degradation of slavery and extreme poverty.Some run away from that past...and,would like us to believeour families were not all there at one time. No need for me to do that.It happened!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X