• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaine: Coaches crossing the line -

They cannot resist making sexual advances

<DIV class=KonaBody yJQdZ="true">

By Gordon Williams, Contributor

Reggae Girlz in training at the National Stadium recently. - Ricardo Makyn

National women's football boss Vin Blaine has expressed deep disappointment with some local male coaches who, he says, cannot resist "crossing the line" by making sexual advances to players when placed in charge of female teams.

"The problem we have now in <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> with coaches who coach females is that they cross the line," said Blaine, who recently guided Jamaica to the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">semi-finals</SPAN> of the CONCACAF Women's <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Gold</SPAN> Cup in the United States and a place in next year's Pan American Games in Brazil.

"The most common mistake they (male coaches) make is crossing that line; that line between being a coach and being a friend in an intimate way."

While Blaine said he was speaking specifically about football, he also made it clear that he did not mean the coaches "will have sex with the girls." However, he said that girls have confided in him about advances made by male coaches at school and club levels.

"I've had girls who come to me and tell me that coaches are putting argument to them," said Blaine, who also coached Harbour View to the local championship title this season.

Underaged girls

"They know the coaches are doing that, as young as (age) 15. I know a coach right now who had a daughter going to school at 15 at the time and was approaching (another) girl on the team at 15. And the question (the coach) posed to the girl (was): 'Do you see me as a coach or as a man?' Now, if you ask a young lady that type of question there is something underneath that," Blaine added.

Women's football teams, locally and internationally, are coached mainly by men. Some big names have guided women's teams. Ren?imoes, for example
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Blaine: Coaches crossing the line -

Even Stevie Wonder could ahve seen this coming, what sick society we have.

Comment

You obvioulsy have no idea what goes on in female track do you? Even at the high school level, it is endemic to say the least.

I know of several coaches who have been involved in these things and some will tell you that it is the girls who make the first move in many instances.

There is a very famous female coach in the US Division One college system who is known to make moves on her girls as well.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

It's not suprising to me it's just that it is something you never want to hear happens.

At my high school my math teacher would get a student pregnant every year. He was the best teacher I have ever had but I would never trust him around my daughter.

Comment

Scaly (12/22/2006)It's not suprising to me it's just that it is something you never want to hear happens.

At my high school my math teacher would get a student pregnant every year. He was the best teacher I have ever had but I would never trust him around my daughter.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Scaly (12/22/2006)It's not suprising to me it's just that it is something you never want to hear happens.

I think you meant he was the best at teaching you math...but, I hope he was not your best teacher. His example of being responsible around/with his interaction with his young female students was definitelypoor teaching.He was not living up to the first tenet of'teaching for life'.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

isn't kc your high school?
              Blessed Love

Comment

There is an epidemic of adult men having sexual relations with little girls, and this has been going on for a long time. Nothing will change until the daughters of the political elite are affected.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

The Emperor (12/23/2006)isn't kc your high school?

Mek mi wonder too Emperor. Teacher getting the boys pregnant. Explain yuhself Scaly!
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

sickko, I have heard about the JA T&amp;F coach and girls since the 60's &amp; 70's, I have also heard about the famous female coach in T&amp;F, I wont even mention the state, lets say west of the Mississippi.

Comment

I went to two high schools, Kingston Tech and Kingston College.

Comment

Scaly (12/22/2006)At my high school my math teacher would get a student pregnant every year. He was the best teacher I have ever had but I would never trust him around my daughter.
                        hmmm.. you got me puzzled, as I thought you went to an all male high school
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Its a known fact in athletics that the lowlifes go after young women. Its being talked about now which is the good thing.

Much respek to Mr Blaine!!

Comment

amen...i remember staying one week-end at the super clubs resort across the road from hedo 2 (mi figget the name now) and there was a track coach with his protege..the 2 of them alone.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                            X