• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kaiser bashes Capello, England ,Players bash the ball

Franz Beckenbauer puts the boot into “kick and rush” England

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent, Rustenberg

RECOMMEND? (1)

Franz Beckenbauer, the iconic figure of German football, has accused England of reverting to the bad old days of “kick and rush” under Fabio Capello.
    England began their World Cup campaign with an unconvincing 1-1 draw against the United States and, with Germany making a strong start by beating Australia 4-0, Beckenbauer believes that Capello’s team lack sophistication.
    “What I saw from the English had very little to do with football,” Beckenbauer, who won World Cup winner’s medals with West Germany as captain in 1974 and coach in 1990, said. “It looked to me as if the English have gone backwards into the old times of kick and rush.
    “I am not sure if Capello can still change much there. The English are being punished for the fact that there are very few English players in the Premier League as they use better foreign players from all over the world.”
    RELATED LINKS

The England manager will agree with Beckenbauer’s comment about the lack of talent at his disposal, having bemoaned the fact that barely a third of the players who started games in the Premier League last season were English. But he is certain to be irked by the disparaging remarks about his team’s style of play.
    He will hope for a demonstration of his players’ ability against Algeria on Friday, with Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole expected to play despite missing training yesterday.
    Another source of tension is Germany’s familiarity with the adidas Jabulani, the controversial World Cup ball that has been used in the Bundesliga plus domestic competitions in the Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland.
    Asked if he felt those rivals had gained an unfair advantage, Jamie Carragher, the England defender, said: “That is exactly what we were saying last night. That’s obvious. The ball is very different. Every training session we do we always start by passing 30 or 40 yards to each other just for that reason alone. I’m sure it has helped them.”
    The Bundesliga has a deal with adidas to supply its ball — likewise the Germany national team — whereas the Premier League has a contract with Nike and the England national team with Umbro.
    England have practised with the ball every day since they began their pre-tournament training camp in Austria on May 17, but did not use it in a match until their penultimate warm-up fixture, against Japan, just 12 days before the World Cup began.
    Thomas van Schaik, a spokesman for adidas, said: “There was an in-depth presentation in February where we presented the new technology and underlined the requirement to get used to it because it is a different ball and a different technology. We underlined this point. At the same time we also supplied all the federations with the balls.”

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Dunga feels heat as the critics circle

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent, Johannesburg

RECOMMEND? (1)

If Fabio Capello is feeling unfairly vilified at the moment, he should have been in Dunga’s shoes at Coca-Cola Park last night.
    On the eve of Brazil’s opening match of the tournament against the might of North Korea, the coach was forced to mount a rigorous defence of his team, methodology and even his personality. It is no wonder that his tone was occasionally as spiky as his Basil Brush-style hair.
    Dunga is facing pressures that Capello cannot countenance. A nation of 190 million expectant football fanatics and a media army are following his every move, hoping for success, but ready to wield the knife should Brazil fail.
    Even his most ardent critics cannot quibble with Dunga’s results — since beating England 1-0 last November they have scored 12 goals in four matches while conceding only one and have been beaten only once in a little more than two years, a defeat that occurred in the strength-sapping altitude of Bolivia. If only England had such problems.
    Dunga is under fire not because of his substance, but a perceived lack of style. The 46-year-old stands accused of betraying his nation’s commitment to Joga Bonito, playing beautifully, just as Carlos Alberto Perreira was during the 1994 World Cup, when a certain spiky-haired midfield player ended up lifting the trophy. Only a repeat of that first triumph in 24 years will spare Dunga more savage criticism, which Socrates — the Brazil legend, philosopher and doctor — added to yesterday by describing the present team as bureaucratic.
    “The criticism is always that we are a defensive team, but we’ve scored over 100 goals so must be somewhat creative,” Dunga said. “We’ve only conceded 30 goals so are a very balanced team.
    “You guys say I’m a difficult character, but you criticise me for 24 hours and I can only criticise you for one second. You attack me from morning to evening, but if I answer, you tell me I’m out of line. If I speak out of turn, you tell me I am bitter.
    “If I had to respond to every criticism then I would be in quite a state. In the morning Júlio César [the goalkeeper] would be out of the team and in the afternoon he would be back in again. Everyone has their preferences and my preference is to win.”
    Dunga’s win-at-all-costs mentality is reflected in the make-up of his squad, which has a different feel to that under the returning Parreira four years ago. Kaká is the only survivor of the “fab four” also featuring Ronaldo, Adriano and Ronaldinho that starred in Germany four years ago, while Alexandre Pato has also been left at home.
    With Kaká out of form, Dunga is relying on Robinho and Luís Fabiano to provide the inspiration because his midfield of Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo is largely functional, while Nilmar and Grafite, the supporting strikers, have 17 caps between them. Fabiano is appearing at his first World Cup, but that has not limited the Seville striker’s ambitions. “I have got two remaining ambitions here — I want to win the cup and the other is to be top scorer,” he said.Kaká has shrugged off a recurring groin problem to declare himself fit and Júlio César will start in goal, but Dunga remains concerned about the form of Brazil’s talisman, who has scored only once in the past year.
    “Kaká is improving little by little,” Dunga said. “We have to put the breaks on him because sometimes he wants to train morning, noon and night.
    “Without a doubt I’m nervous, and I still get butterflies in my stomach when my team goes on to the field. This is the greatest challenge of my life. It’s a tremendous responsibility, but the most important thing is to sleep peacefully at night and take the best decisions for the team.”

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

lalas called it as it was: England is not a top teir team as they would like to think. Now based on what they (Brits) were saying that mistake should not have been a problem; just score more goals. Look at Brasil in the confed final? Did the Brasilians blame their defenders for the errors or they went on to show the USA why they had FIVE titles?

On the ball did Tim Howard get to use the ball in secret whilst in England? I guess the S.Koreans had the ball in their league prior to the WC. Not to worry all ye excuses makers will be weeded out in another two weeks (make sure you take pictures of the exotic animals because your jet is being prepped ) so the real contenders can get down to business.

Comment

Not so fast.

England better than you think.

bench Lampard and bring in Barry. Bench Hesky and bring in DaFoe.

The wing backs are talented, as is Rooney and Gerrard. Lennon is useful as is Ian Wright's son.

Comment

Willi yuh bug my phone? I made those exact comments to a friend yesterday. Capello needs to show some balls and bench Lampard because him and Gerrard don't play well in the middle. Or, another solution is to use Lampard as a 3rd striker with Gerrard standing up in the middle. Use Rooney and Defoe up front with Barry and either Cole or Lennon (I would prefer Cole) to finish the formation. Ashley Cole and Johnson should press more from the wingback.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Both teams well organised..but lack a player or players with the creativity to unlock their rigid defenses as often as was needed.

For England to go far, Lennon and Joe Coke need to be given the freedom to consistently "do their thing" for Rooney and the other goalscorers to be consistently given chances at goal.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I will skpe you tonight. Have to have a small ball update. LoL

Comment

Oh so that's what was stopping the US from getting 3-1? Now the blame is shifted to the coach. In the Confed finals Brasil came out with the same team in the 2nd half.

Comment

Sorry Jangle, thought this was Karl!

Comment

The Kaiser might be right as of right now. However, maybe he should have waited to see which of the two teams go deeper into the tornament before he speaks. He could motivate England.

Re the German game, I think England would have beaten Australia convincingly and I believe, the USA would have challenged Germany. Had Cahill not been sent off, Germany would not have won by such a wide margin.

Re the Mexican ref, I dont rule out corruption for the sending off.
                    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Start the great Peter Crouch

I am sure Crouch can get some goals for England. He plays well for England.

Comment

Dunga better buss Korea a today

Originally posted by X View Post
                        Franz Beckenbauer puts the boot into “kick and rush” England

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent, Rustenberg

Franz Beckenbauer, the iconic figure of German football, has accused England of reverting to the bad old days of “kick and rush” under Fabio Capello.
                        England began their World Cup campaign with an unconvincing 1-1 draw against the United States and, with Germany making a strong start by beating Australia 4-0, Beckenbauer believes that Capello’s team lack sophistication.
                        “What I saw from the English had very little to do with football,” Beckenbauer, who won World Cup winner’s medals with West Germany as captain in 1974 and coach in 1990, said. “It looked to me as if the English have gone backwards into the old times of kick and rush.
                        “I am not sure if Capello can still change much there. The English are being punished for the fact that there are very few English players in the Premier League as they use better foreign players from all over the world.”
                        RELATED LINKS

The England manager will agree with Beckenbauer’s comment about the lack of talent at his disposal, having bemoaned the fact that barely a third of the players who started games in the Premier League last season were English. But he is certain to be irked by the disparaging remarks about his team’s style of play.
                        He will hope for a demonstration of his players’ ability against Algeria on Friday, with Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole expected to play despite missing training yesterday.
                        Another source of tension is Germany’s familiarity with the adidas Jabulani, the controversial World Cup ball that has been used in the Bundesliga plus domestic competitions in the Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland.
                        Asked if he felt those rivals had gained an unfair advantage, Jamie Carragher, the England defender, said: “That is exactly what we were saying last night. That’s obvious. The ball is very different. Every training session we do we always start by passing 30 or 40 yards to each other just for that reason alone. I’m sure it has helped them.”
                        The Bundesliga has a deal with adidas to supply its ball — likewise the Germany national team — whereas the Premier League has a contract with Nike and the England national team with Umbro.
                        England have practised with the ball every day since they began their pre-tournament training camp in Austria on May 17, but did not use it in a match until their penultimate warm-up fixture, against Japan, just 12 days before the World Cup began.
                        Thomas van Schaik, a spokesman for adidas, said: “There was an in-depth presentation in February where we presented the new technology and underlined the requirement to get used to it because it is a different ball and a different technology. We underlined this point. At the same time we also supplied all the federations with the balls.”

An ugly win for Brazil is like going to the beach while it is raining. If the people of Brazil don't see Joga Bonito then Dunga better make it up with nuff ugly goals!
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Kick an run dung, ah when dem nevah play dat, an ongle a few ah dem premiership team nuh play dat. An most an dem team deh hab nuff foreign ballah. Dem always shackle di flair balla dem, until dem mek man express demselve dem always a guh look pedestrain an static.

Comment

mi tell unnu long time.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                            X