• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boothroyd hits out at Premiership pressure

Boothroyd hits out at Premiership pressure

AFP
    December 29, 2006
    LONDON (AFP) - Watford manager Adrian Boothroyd believes Premiership chairmen are putting too much pressure on managers struggling to keep their teams in English football's top flight.

Eggert Magnusson, the new West Ham owner, gave Alan Pardew just four games to prove his worth before showing him the door while Charlton are currently on their third manager of the season after dismissing Iain Dowie and Les Reed.

Now Boothroyd, whose rock-bottom team are at home to Wigan on Saturday, has urged chairmen to show more patience.

"I find it quite sad and quite ridiculous that managers get put under so much pressure so quickly," he said.

"When you hear the statistics about how many managers have gone this season, both in the Premiership and in the lower leagues, it's just outrageous.

"If you don't think someone is good enough to do the job then they shouldn't be employed in the first place - it's as simple as that.

"Stability is always the key. If you look at the Premiership, the successful clubs are always the ones who keep changes to a minimum. Arsenal, Manchester United and clubs like that know that managers need time."

Boothroyd is thankful that the close bond he has with chairman Graham Simpson has allowed him to escape speculation over his job prospects.

Watford have collected just 11 points from their first 19 games, but Boothroyd is convinced his supporters in the boardroom will give him time to reverse the club's fortunes.

"Being sacked has never even entered my head. Nobody can set higher standards for Watford than me - and if I let the pressure get to me then I probably wouldn't do my job as well," said Boothroyd.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

RE: Boothroyd hits out at Premiership pressure

Hortikal (12/29/2006)Boothroyd hits out at Premiership pressure
    "I find it quite sad and quite ridiculous that managers get put under so much pressure so quickly," he said...."If you don't think someone is good enough to do the job then they shouldn't be employed in the first place - it's as simple as that."
    Boothroyd is out of touch with reality. The FACT is that unless the clubs stay up, they face serious financial consequences so the club ownership has to move quickly if a team does not look like its fortunes are reversing. No chairman will give any manager "time" if they don't have confidence in them. If you look at the dismissal of Ian Dowie at Charlton (and Les Reeds), Dowie had loads of time to prove he could keep Charlton in the EPL, Reed did not, but then again, Reed was a knee jerk fill in anyway. Anybody who takes a job as a football manager has to know that you live and die on a knife edge...so they should quit talking about the pressure and suck it up :buss:
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

But paul lets face it.. Watford got promoted and really did not spend to bring in talent to sustain the EPL. They cant have it both ways. They are exactly where they should be not underachieving and not overachieving. Sometimes the people upstairs the thing is a magic show. The coach has done a good job but will go as far as his talent allows him

Comment

OJ (12/29/2006)But paul lets face it.. Watford got promoted and really did not spend to bring in talent to sustain the EPL. They cant have it both ways. They are exactly where they should be not underachieving and not overachieving. Sometimes the people upstairs the thing is a magic show. The coach has done a good job but will go as far as his talent allows him
        OJ, I don't know if they are where they should be or not. They were promoted along with Sheffield United AND Reading... none of them had the money compared to the other prem teams...yet Reading looks certain to stay up and Sheffield is holding its own. So to me, Boothroyd is the odd man out. Anyway, I understand his frustration, but this is a real cut throat business. For Marlon King's sake, I hope Watford can pull the rabbit out of the hat and stay up.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
        X