X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelton impresses Guardiola in friendly

Shelton impresses Guardiola in friendly
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010

JAMAICA international forward Luton Shelton caught the eye of Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola during a friendly encounter between Valerenga and the Blaugrana on Thursday evening.

The 24-year-old Shelton, who appeared finished with the Norwegian club only 12 months ago, caused a fringe Barca side many problems due to his speed and movement, and Guardiola was quick to recognise the threat the attacker presented.

SHELTON (cerntre)... troubled Barca side with speed and movement

SHELTON (cerntre)... troubled Barca side with speed and movement

1/1
    "Luton Shelton was extremely fast," the coach told Aftenposten — a Norwegian newspaper.

"He is from Jamaica, so maybe he is the son of Usain Bolt", the former Spanish international joked.

"We thought the Norwegian team just hit long passes, but they played well... and Moa (Mohammed Fellah) is also a very good player," he said.
    Shelton joined English Premierhsip outfit Sheffield United back in 2007, but after they were relegated at the end of that season he transfered to the Norwegian that year.

However, after a slow start he was sent to Danish club Aalbork BK on loan, where he impressed in the EUFA Cup, especially against manchester city in the second round tie last season.

But he returned to Valerenga at the start of the 2009 season and he has been very impressive ever since.

However, there are some reports that the striker was in talks with English League one side, Plymouth Ardyle, and was due to join up with the club very soon.

Barcelona won the fixture 4-2, despite deploying few first team squad members

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...iendly_7852219
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Shelton?

I have always lamented Shelton's waste of his talents by lack of 'head'. I have railed on this site about his anti-TEAM play. Fact is, I have gone so far as to suggested he be dropped from the Jamaica team as he runs rampant against "2 formers" - CFU teams and helps to destroy our ambitions against more senior - USA & Mexico - competition, adding that against Top Of The World opponents he wopuld hand the ball to our opponents so often that it would be as if he is a member of the opposing team.

Still for all that I have said that if himself and Fuller can become TEAM players they would immediately jump to top world players. It is because of that seem potential why I would be saddened to see him relegated to playing for English League one side, Plymouth Ardyle.

NB: Still happy he will still be 'eating a food'.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

....He impressed Pep ? ...based on the article all he said was Luton is extremely fast and made some reference to Bolt.

seems like Pep was more impressed by the other player in the article.
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

if he was that impressed he would be going there..

Comment

Exactly...
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

He was more than likely impressed with his speed, not necessarily his game but the writers wouldn't say that.

It is easy to be impressed with his speed.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yeah? i'm not!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you want fi mark him, inna a game -
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

clearly mi naw run falla him or stay tight...mi nuh have to....once mi work out him poor first touch or usher him to the line an' get back up .... ... yuh think most defenders in him league fast like him (or me fi dat matter?) suh how come him naw done di place? dem work him out!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Him current coach have sense. Them put him pon the wing so with his speed he can kick and run. Only thing him have fi learn a fi cross the ball . Mi know you nah go pon the left back at all.

A deh so him fi play long time.

Comment

so..fast and foolish?!

anyway...we shall see

Comment

Thanks Gamma. Speed alone doesn't cut it. I try to tell sm younger players around around our team about change of pace....thats when you can get defenders slowing up....and defenders about that bad first touch that most players have..let them pay...

Comment

So what if the defense play deep?

Comment

drop him back inna right mid, still have acres to play with

Comment

But is not every player going to have a great first touch. I understand you teach it but sad to say some is better than others. On any team normally you will not find more than 5 players with great first touches. the others have to work around it, unless you are Barcelona or Spain.

Comment

Working...
                              X