Merit Not Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merit Not Age

The President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has rubbished suggestions that the Federation should make a concerted effort to build the program around youth plaers in a bid to reach the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

The JFF boss says age should not matter as all players should be selected on merit.

“They may have potential but it will take time to acquire a certain level of maturity that is better than what we now have. In order to represent Jamaica’s national team, you have to be better than the one you’re going to represent but this notion about putting in players because they’re young is foolishness and I’m not accepting that,” Captain Horace Burrell said.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/sports/football/merit-not-age

I didnt know that Captain was responsible for the selection of players. How can he make such a statement. Since when is the final decision not at the coach's discretion.
    Last edited by Karl; September 8, 2010, 05:07 PM.

Nuh Boxhill did have a policy to include them. Look like is the standard JFF approach.

Comment

This is why the program will never reach anywhere, u think the English FA could tell Capello which players to select!

If a coach wants to choose strictly old and experienced players, its his decision and I will accept it. If he wants to give the younger players an opportunity to get experience and groom them for a tournament 4 yrs down the road, thats his decision and i'll accept that.

I wont accept the president of the FA yapping at the gums as if Jamaican football is a dictatorship and he's Fidel.

Comment

Originally posted by Shola View Post
        This is why the program will never reach anywhere, u think the English FA could tell Capello which players to select!

If a coach wants to choose strictly old and experienced players, its his decision and I will accept it. If he wants to give the younger players an opportunity to get experience and groom them for a tournament 4 yrs down the road, thats his decision and i'll accept that.

I wont accept the president of the FA yapping at the gums as if Jamaican football is a dictatorship and he's Fidel.
        Brethren, using your best available players, regarless of age, when it counts is not a bad thing. This does not preculed using friendlies to develop young and promising players.

The head of the organization sets the ground rules for the coaches and even Capello has to follow whatever ground rules the English FA set for him..what is the problem?

Comment

You think if Capello a pick pure under 21 the FA nah go tell him wha fi do?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Blame the media houses who keep asking Burrell these technical questions. Thats not his job- you ask technical people technical questions
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

The criteria for the selection of the English squad for the world cup was set out by capello and not the F.A.

I'm not debating who should be selected, I'm saying that the selection should be done by the head coach and the coaching staff and not the President of a football association.

When u have a company, HR is responsible for the hiring of employees, not the CEO. Burrell should concentrate on running the federation and leave the on field decisions those who are paid to make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shola View Post
                When u have a company, HR is responsible for the hiring of employees, not the CEO.
                I get the point you are trying to make with your post, but is better you leave out this part. VERY bad example. LOL

Comment

..so when Rene was selecting young players and leaving out the "professional players"..and our WC 2010 chances went down the toilet....Burrell stepped in
                  and let Tappa know who was to be selected...We never had issues with it....
                  Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

i dont see a thing wrong with what burrell said... players are to be selected based on merit... if a player is young and better than the old players the young player is deserving of a spot... if the older player is better then he is deserving and should not be omitted because he is older... the better players should make the team... age should not be the only factor...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

perhaps, but in a friendly, several months from WCq's?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well we should expect younger players will get a blie in friendlies, Copa Caribe & Concacaf tournments etc. Don't we have any promising 17 - 19 year old ballers who a play school ball? Seek and ye shall find.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          Don't we have any promising 17 - 19 year old ballers who a play school ball? Seek and ye shall find.
                          sigh! therein lies the problem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I always said Simoes should have never been brought back, so Burrell messed up there, but again administrators have no place selecting players.

Comment

There is a world class athlete who did not shine at the school level, but then went on to break the world record in 100M twice. Boss lets not give up on the youths when they are still youths.
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X