Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLS and these overpaid retired players

So far it has not worked for the MLS.

Jeff Cunningham, Clint Mathis, and Clint Dempsey and Freddy Adu has added more to the MLS than these overpaid retired European players like Matheus, Youri etc.

Is Beckham and his wife coming to Hollywood or LA? 250 Million for what?

MLS is going to kill themselves as they did with the old league. They were doing good managing themselves until now.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

RE: MLS and these overpaid retired players

i wonder if beckham would consider donating 1 million per year to the reggae boyz so that we can pay the 'much travelled serbian, taker of 5 differnt teams to the world cup yadda yadda yadda.." his salary?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Assasin (1/11/2007)250 Million for what?

MLS is going to kill themselves as they did with the old league. They were doing good managing themselves until now.
      MLS is not footing the entire bill for his salary, as there's no way they could afford it.

They are only paying a fraction of his salary, and the rest will come from sponsorship and merchandising deals.

Try reading up on it a bit more.
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Yeah Assassin.....MLS only pays $400,000 of that salary. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Assasin (1/11/2007)So far it has not worked for the MLS.

Jeff Cunningham, Clint Mathis, and Clint Dempsey and Freddy Adu has added more to the MLS than these overpaid retired European players like Matheus, Youri etc.

Is Beckham and his wife coming to Hollywood or LA? 250 Million for what?

That the money is obscene is a fact...but, strickly from a marketing standpoint MLS, I am thinking, shall reap tremendous returns!

Becks shall propel US football forward...fast forward!

Big up, to the Galaxy, MLS and our football!

FORWARD!

Spin-off for a forward thinking JFF & Butch or another of our upscale tourism gurus (joint invite)...and Becks visiting at 'some' of our localyouth or other matches?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Matters not. The end result is the same. It will fizzle like today's Beckham freekick.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Whats the big deal! Anybody cry when money a waste pon the clowns in other sports? Time Americans tek notice ... its not basketball, baseball, rugby wid the shoulder pads .... its FOOTBALL.

Next move ... $200 million fi Zidane.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mosiah (1/12/2007)Matters not. The end result is the same. It will fizzle like today's Beckham freekick.
                If it goes as has Beckham's Free-Kicks the results would be phenonmenal! Becks Free-Kicks have changed football forever. It has many great exponents of which Ronaldinho is perhaps the greatest student...

...and, coaches/TD haveaped Becks inswinging Free-Kicks and introduced the inswinging Free-Kick (the so-called properly taken "impossible to defend Free-Kick")...which curls towards goal and usually has defenders running towards/facing their own goal - same direction as the opposing attacking forwards - in their tactics.

Yup - Becks "Free-Kicks" appear to be ones that will live forever. If his impact on US football gains even 50% of the impact his Free-Kicks...his 'bend it like Beckham' Free-Kicks have gained, his coming would prove 'great'!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl (1/12/2007)
                  Mosiah (1/12/2007)Matters not. The end result is the same. It will fizzle like today's Beckham freekick.
                  If it goes as has Beckham's Free-Kicks the results would be phenonmenal! Becks Free-Kicks have changed football forever. It has many great exponents of which Ronaldinho is perhaps the greatest student...

...and, coaches/TD haveaped Becks inswinging Free-Kicks and introduced the inswinging Free-Kick (the so-called properly taken "impossible to defend Free-Kick")...which curls towards goal and usually has defenders running towards/facing their own goal - same direction as the opposing attacking forwards - in their tactics.

Yup - Becks "Free-Kicks" appear to be ones that will live forever. If his impact on US football gains even 50% of the impact his Free-Kicks...his 'bend it like Beckham' Free-Kicks have gained, his coming would prove 'great'!
                  <DIV></DIV><DIV>I'm not surprised, Karl. Afterall, you still believe that Tappa is our best player. </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

<TD width="10"></TD><TD width="629" valign="top"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=629><A name=startcontent></A><SPAN class=ds><SPAN class=lu>Last Updated: </SPAN>Friday, 12 January 2007, 13:51 GMT</SPAN> <DIV class=mvb></DIV><DIV class=mvtb><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=213> E-mail this to a friend </TD><TD width=203> Printable version </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Money is not my motive - Beckham </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Beckham announced on Thursday he will join LA Galaxy in August</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>David Beckham insists his move to LA Galaxy is not financially driven.

The 31-year-old will earn a reported £128m over five years after agreeing to leave Real Madrid for the Major League Soccer side at the end of the season.

The deal means Beckham will be earning 500 times more each week than most of his team-mates at Los Angeles.

But he said: "I didn't want to go there at 34 years old and for people to say he's only going for the money. It's not what I'm going out there to do."

<DIV class=avinline>Interview: David Beckham </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: American sports journalist Sean Wheelock </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: Former England striker Gary Lineker </DIV><!-- E IMED
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

<TD width="10"></TD><TD width="629" valign="top"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=629><A name=startcontent></A><SPAN class=ds><SPAN class=lu>Last Updated: </SPAN>Friday, 12 January 2007, 13:51 GMT</SPAN> <DIV class=mvb></DIV><DIV class=mvtb><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=213> E-mail this to a friend </TD><TD width=203> Printable version </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Money is not my motive - Beckham </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Beckham announced on Thursday he will join LA Galaxy in August</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>David Beckham insists his move to LA Galaxy is not financially driven.

The 31-year-old will earn a reported £128m over five years after agreeing to leave Real Madrid for the Major League Soccer side at the end of the season.

The deal means Beckham will be earning 500 times more each week than most of his team-mates at Los Angeles.

But he said: "I didn't want to go there at 34 years old and for people to say he's only going for the money. It's not what I'm going out there to do."

<DIV class=avinline>Interview: David Beckham </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: American sports journalist Sean Wheelock </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Interview: Former England striker Gary Lineker </DIV><!-- E IMED

Comment

I sincerly hope they stop paying player $10,000 a year.

MLS complain. If they wanted to have a better league they should raise the basic salary as many good players opt out because of the money money them paying players fi batter themselves. Why should I take 10,000 when them can make so much money and as a college grad I can work 40,000 a year.

A so so many potentially good baller drop out.

Comment

Assasin (1/12/2007)I sincerly hope they stop paying player $10,000 a year.

MLS complain. If they wanted to have a better league they should raise the basic salary as many good players opt out because of the money money them paying players fi batter themselves. Why should I take 10,000 when them can make so much money and as a college grad I can work 40,000 a year.

A so so many potentially good baller drop out.
                          Your guess is as good as mine but I think alot of it has to do with the new contract that MLS has with ESPN. It has freed up alot of cash for the league and I think they choose to spend it in on marquee players who will draw at the gate. MLS has for all intents and purposes completed their biggest goal of getting all MLS teams with their own stadiums. Yes a couple still don't have theirs but the majority do.

Now I think their focus is about putting behinds in the seat. With the great exposure they'll get on espn and espn's committment to advertise and promote the league this is go time. No more hand holding. As for the base salary I think they did raise that $11,000 a year contract to $24,000 if memory serves me correct. - T.K.
                          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Assasin (1/12/2007)<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV> <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"To play with Zinedine Zidane was the biggest honour I have had in my career, to play with the likes of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos... for me, there are no regrets there."

In the US, the news of Beckham's move has been greeted as a historic moment in the history of football in the country.

"David Beckham coming to MLS might be viewed by some as one of the most important moments for soccer in this country and perhaps the history of professional sport," MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV><DIV id=q2></DIV></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"David transcends the sport and is a cultural icon. David is clearly one of the most recognisable athletes in the world.

Landon Donovan, Galaxy's current star player, agreed that Beckham's arrival would be a huge boost to MLS.

"I think it's hard to quantify what David Beckham being here would mean," he said.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV><DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"Marketing-wise it's a dream come true and it's not a 35, 36-year-old washed-up guy.

"It's a guy who can still play and a guy who still has a lot of appeal, probably the most famous soccer player in the world." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><DIV></TD>
                            </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>What hype! This is so ridiculous!!! I can't wait for the the fizzle!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X