X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chairman rates Fuller as among Stoke's Greatest

Stoke City: Ricardo Fuller is one of best ever, says Coates

By Stoke City Michael Baggaley

STOKE chairman Peter Coates has paid tribute to centurion Ricardo Fuller – saying he is one of the finest strikers to have played for the club, writes Michael Baggaley.

The 31-year-old, pictured below, scored his 100th goal in British football on Tuesday when he ended a mazy run with a spectacular strike to put Stoke 2-0 up in their eventual 3-2 victory over Birmingham.

Coates, aged 72, has been supporting Stoke since the 1940s, seeing the club's goalscoring legends such as Freddie Steele, John Ritchie and Jimmy Greenhoff in action. He says the Jamaican striker should be considered in the same company.

Coates said: "Ricardo's goal against Birmingham was amazing. He is one of the best players ever to play for Stoke City. I absolutely believe that.

"He is strong, quick and very few players can control a ball at pace like he can. He's a very special player."

Fuller has scored 47 goals for City in 124 starts and 42 substitute appearances since he was signed for just £500,000 from Southampton in 2006.

Coates needed no convincing about the striker's ability when Tony Pulis decided to raid Saints for the goalscorer.

He said: "I saw him playing for Preston when he first started, and he stood out a mile.

"He is appreciated here, but I'm not sure the outside world has appreciated just how good he is.

"If you look at our outstanding players over the years, he is up there in that company. And he's achieved things here while the club has enjoyed one of its best periods.

"The club is playing at a level it has never played at before. You have to take into account that the Premier League is so international now and teams are better than in the 1970s, or the 1940s or 50s. The game has moved on."

Fuller made only his third league start of the campaign on Tuesday, having twice dislocated his right shoulder recently, but he was able to play his part in a great team performance. Coates added: "My over-riding emotion was relief. I was worried we'd had a bad run of results while still playing well.

"We were good at Everton, deserved something at Bolton and played well at home to Manchester United.

"It was frustrating because you know you won't always play well, but it was a good display against Birmingham. In the first half we played as well as we have this season."

PRESTON have inquired about taking Danny Pugh and Michael Tonge on loan.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

is this the entire article? i missed the part about kenwyne jones...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That goal was great!
      Big im up!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

heh heh! nuh mek Kamla **************** yuh off mi bredren.

a wonder if she did ask Stoke City - what's in it fah me?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh walking a fine line here.. careful wi nuh move di post to a next forum..

Comment

Working...
          X