Why Jamaica will never produce a football great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Jamaica will never produce a football great

Ultimately, Campbell, a defender who has the versatility to play in midfield, wants to play professionally like his uncle, but he wants to enroll in college to secure an education in case his professional pursuits fail.

"Everybody wants to be a pro, that's what I'm looking forward to right now, but most of the times you have to have the school work (academics) to back it up, so I might go to college first and then come back like Omar Cummings and 'Franno' (Shaun Francis), so that if I get injured I can rally on my school work (academic qualification)."

He says he has a number of offers from colleges and is now examining them. "I just want to make the right choice," he said, no doubt wishing referee Taylor had done the same on Friday night.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz17KQL1wmQ

BLACK LIVES MATTER

why? college?

Comment

At his age if he was truly great he would get a run with a professional side. He is making the right decision to pursue his education unlike Andre Darby. There are very few ballers who will ever receive professional contracts.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There are very few ballers who will ever receive professional contracts.

i wouldn't say very few, but yes the pool huge and the competition is intense and extreme. they might be very good but not any better than a very good player right there in europe so why take on immigration and work permit issues?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yes! college!

Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Maradona, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, Pele, Michael Schumacher, Brian Lara, Didier Drogba...you name the great athlete, in whatever field, he/she does not have a degree.

(Even in business, a case could be made that college is a hindrance.)

Our better players need to do like what Martin Davis and Kaya Beckford did. But the football fraternity has to buy into that way of thinking.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Depends on how good he is. I don't know the player, so perhaps that's the right thing to do.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tiger Woods went to Stanford, not sure for how long but it takes some serious brain power to get into a school like that
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

what did Davis and Beckford do?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did he finish?

Please! George Bush went to Yale!

In America, money can get you anything!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

They are attending the Valencia Academy.

http://www.caribbeansportsnetwork.co...s-for-valencia

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There many ways to skin a cat. I don't see why if Campbell is responsible and get a pro contract why he couldn't do online classes if he wants the degree. Find a school that don't charge too much and over 4-7 years finish a degree, maybe two class at a time on his own on his own time.

The fact is the youth them just need the right guideance. Yes the Valencia Academy is one way to go.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        yes! college!

Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Maradona, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, Pele, Michael Schumacher, Brian Lara, Didier Drogba...you name the great athlete, in whatever field, he/she does not have a degree.

(Even in business, a case could be made that college is a hindrance.)

Our better players need to do like what Martin Davis and Kaya Beckford did. But the football fraternity has to buy into that way of thinking.
                        There are a few exceptions. Flamini has a law degree (well so I've heard a commentator said). I read that Seedorf was in his last semester of his MBA. Gabriel Obertan has a degree in literature, Arshavin has a degree in fashion Thierry Henry has a degree in "Arrogance!"
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

on a golf scholarship?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

those are toppa top!!! for everyone of them, how many are littered as casualties along the pathway?

Comment

...and there was Dr. Socrates.

Point still stands!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X