RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need for speed in recognizing the best ballers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for speed in recognizing the best ballers!

We have been talking about speed and 40 yard times as a key factor in determining the best ball players like they do in the NFL. It is no mistake that the fastest,highest jumpers are the guys who tear up the league.

Karl, We were talking about 40 yd dash times, well nobody has ever run under 4.0 for the 40 yard dash, the fastest on record is probably 4.15 to 4.25, don't forget the start is the most time consuming event so 4.15 in 40 yards is probably equal to 10.0 or less in the 100 meters or 110 yards.

Well all our players should be running less than 4.5 that is equal to about a 10.4-5 100 metres run. We should also be looking at jumping ability as well, it is no mistake that the new defensive end youth at San Diego, some 270 lbs had a 41 inch vertical at the combine and I said before the draft that this youth would be a terror in the NFL with such leaping ability and a 4.5-6 40 yard dash. The guy had 17 sacks this season and a bunch of stripped and fumbled balls.

This would be the same thing in real football a youth with wicked leaping ability, fast 40 yard dash would create havoc all over the field, that is why guys like Et'o are so good his physical advatage is so pronounced that even if his football ability is just above average he would still be a terror.

Another key point is football is not solely about being on the ball, it is about cutting off options for plays, shutting down the field this requires speed and quick response rates, just look again at the Brazil vs France match in 2006 Copa Mundial, France just shut down Brazil options the most incredible job I have ever seen in just damping Brazil's wick. The truth is thatany oneplayer is not actuallytouching the ball more than probably5 minutes of the whole ball game and that is probably high, thus the other 85 minutes what are they doing, shadowing, reacting, shutting down passing lanes, running into open space all of these require speed, agility and quick reaction. This is the real football, the chess match of killing one's opponent before they even come close to the goal. 4.5 40 yard dashersa nd high jumpers are key in defensive and attacking startegy in a way most of us never think about, as the focus is always on the ball.

RE: Need for speed in recognizing the best ballers!

so why did Brasil start looking like Brasil when

Cafu was taken out and the ball wizard Robinho was being inserted (although 12 mins to finish). I have a problem with this example, seeing that proper the selection was notmade to play France.

Comment

Excellent point, the bottom line again is that Robinho is a speed merchant and also extremely skillful, very hard to mark a guy like that, he created a disruption in the French defense aside from him being fresh er than everyone else on the pitch.

I still believe that he is the player with the most upside of any currently playing the game. This is why we must find players like that they stretch the defense and make players do things they don't want to do like foul, fall down, look totally inept.

Comment

I agree with you about Robinho's speed and

yes we need a player (key operative is a player). We have to start teaching the basic technique of running with the ball. I watch the Brasilian league and all the brasilians run with the ball as it it's nothing. Robinho has execellent passing skills and vision too. Outside of Tappa Whitmore I'm hard pressed to find a jakan player with the technical abilities on par with the Brasilians (even though Tappa isn't noted for speed). The key to our success is getting these street ballers exposed to professional coaching from age nine upwards (Robinho was found earlier).Anything else we are just wasting our time.

Comment

Stonigut (1/15/2007)We have been talking about speed and 40 yard times as a key factor in determining the best ball players like they do in the NFL. It is no mistake that the fastest,highest jumpers are the guys who tear up the league.

Karl, We were talking about 40 yd dash times, well nobody has ever run under 4.0 for the 40 yard dash, the fastest on record is probably 4.15 to 4.25, don't forget the start is the most time consuming event so 4.15 in 40 yards is probably equal to 10.0 or less in the 100 meters or 110 yards.

Well all our players should be running less than 4.5 that is equal to about a 10.4-5 100 metres run. We should also be looking at jumping ability as well, it is no mistake that the new defensive end youth at San Diego, some 270 lbs had a 41 inch vertical at the combine and I said before the draft that this youth would be a terror in the NFL with such leaping ability and a 4.5-6 40 yard dash. The guy had 17 sacks this season and a bunch of stripped and fumbled balls.

This would be the same thing in real football a youth with wicked leaping ability, fast 40 yard dash would create havoc all over the field, that is why guys like Et'o are so good his physical advatage is so pronounced that even if his football ability is just above average he would still be a terror.

Another key point is football is not solely about being on the ball, it is about cutting off options for plays, shutting down the field this requires speed and quick response rates, just look again at the Brazil vs France match in 2006 Copa Mundial, France just shut down Brazil options the most incredible job I have ever seen in just damping Brazil's wick. The truth is thatany oneplayer is not actuallytouching the ball more than probably5 minutes of the whole ball game and that is probably high, thus the other 85 minutes what are they doing, shadowing, reacting, shutting down passing lanes, running into open space all of these require speed, agility and quick reaction. This is the real football, the chess match of killing one's opponent before they even come close to the goal. 4.5 40 yard dashersa nd high jumpers are key in defensive and attacking startegy in a way most of us never think about, as the focus is always on the ball.
          Reaction time - both in thought and physical ability - and speed over ground is key!

Agree with you about the need for that quickness over ground. ...but, covering 40 yd in or about 4.5 does not necessarily translate into 10.00 flat 100M. It would invariably translate into 10.5 100 YARDS.

The runner who translates the 4.00 -4.50 over 40 yards into 10.00 flat 100M is a world class runner. For such runners there are many phases of the race...the technical aspects and strength (particularly necessary to maintain 'top end speed')...that would have been acquired.

trus mi many are the runners that can give that initial burst...but, 'fall off' drastically between 60 through 100 yards...

...as for the 100M...the 'fall off' between 70-75M and 100M for manyit is even more dramatic. For footballers...persons who would not have 'proper' sprinting technique, butpersons whothough they would have done a lot of work anaerobic work/exercises...I would expect the fall off during the latter part of a 100M run to be much...much...much.. much more dramatic than occurs for 100M runners...and, thus10flat 100 YARDs would prove a big task.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Stonigut, Karl and Jawge do you guys realise what you are saying?

Let me make it clear for everyone that the team that stonigut cited as shutting down Brazil was filled with AFricans and in fact Ghana could have easily done what France did if they had just believed that they could.

Ghana lost the game mentaly as they matched up with Brazil man for man(even with the theifing card they gave to Essien) now Stonigut you see why Essien had to be taken out of the game to allow Nike marketing giant Ronaldhino to shine.

Robhino yet another African when a couple world cup back Brazil was going away from their Africans but dem slowly a come back around.

Now who have the speed, explosiveness and physical ability to dominate ALL the professional leagues worldwide? Jawge no worry if dem nah work with us we have to work round them, we can't expect the clubs in JA to do what it is that we see as they lack that vision.

IF we see it then we have to do it as dem can't do it as they don't have the vision and are stuck in the past(dem still a do garisson politics for crying out loud)

Jamaica is the new AFrica but better. However if we don't see ourselves as AFricans we will then see ourselves as minnows. Pyschologically which one is better? I will let you guys tell it.

Watch out for the Haitian Revolutionas they are rising and are pointed to Motherland 2010. In case we have forgotten a this a the first free country in this hemisphere so a long time wi African brothers a resist. Jamaica better get our acts together.

respect

Comment

No doubt Shatta, no doubt, that is why France has done so well over the past 15 years, the number of West Africans in the side, the best of Guinea, pure pace and athleticism, only the very best get out of the continent, believe it!

I remember when there was five man, probably 1978-79, yes count it five man ah Calabar that could run 10.5 on Calabar stony field, cyan remember everybody but the slowest was Piggy Lee and him win the 100 at champs one year, Inches Palmer 100 winner another year, Buddy, MC football player extraordinairecyan remember the other two somebody help me.

Anyway out of 2000 youth and that is really about 300 youth of the class 1 age 5th form through upper 6th, that is a phenomenol level (Maybe is just a Cbar thing) of talent.

I would have to say we could probably find a sub 10.7 runner in one in every 200 youthbetween 18-24, that equal about 1/2% of the 200 k youthman in that agegroup (my rough guess) that is 1000 youths, we can easily find 50 balla out of that group, I do not want to see another Jakan side with any slow baller, there is no need for it there si too much to do on the football field to have a slow man messing up things.

Comment

Working...
              X