• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gervinho completes move to Arsenal from Lille

Gervinho completes move to Arsenal from Lille

• Striker signs contract at Emirates for an undisclosed fee
    • 'I've always dreamed to play for this club,' Gervinho said

• Monday 18 July 2011 10.49 BST <li class="history">
      The Ivory Coast striker Gervinho has completed his move from Lille to Arsenal. Photograph: Philippe Huguen/AFP/Getty Images

While the focus at Arsenal for much of the summer has been on departures, with the future of Cesc Fábregas and Samir Nasri remaining uncertain, the manager Arsene Wènger has at least been able to bolster his squad by completing the signing of Gervinho from Lille on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.
      The deal to sign the 24-year-old from Lille was confirmed last week, but with the paperwork completed Gervinho is now officially an Arsenal player. "It's a great feeling to be an Arsenal player," the striker said. "I'm very happy. I've always dreamed to play for this club. I've achieved this dream now and I am so happy. It's one of the most beautiful days of my life.
      "I'm very happy to have the chance to work with Arsène Wenger. I came here because I believe that he can improve my game and help me reach another level, but the most important thing for me is that I bring a lot to the team for whom I'm playing."
      The Ivorian helped Lille to a Ligue 1 and French Cup double last season, scoring 18 goals in 49 games in all competitions. The campaign capped a very successful two years for Gervinho, during which time he scored 36 times in his 93 appearances for Lille, having joined from Le Mans in 2009.
      Gervinho captained the Ivory Coast in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and also represented his country at the 2010 World Cup.
      "Gervinho is a player that can play in a number of positions up front," Wenger said. "He can play on the right, on the left and through the middle. He has qualities that I find very important, like his movement off the ball. He has the qualities we like technically. He is good one against one, he is strong and was the best provider in the French league with assists and he scored 15 goals. I think he is a very good addition to the squad."

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Manchester City accept new bid from Corinthians for Carlos Tevez

• Striker can now talk with the Brazilian club
    • 'We have an agreement with Corinthians' says Roberto Mancini

• Press Association
    • Monday 18 July 2011 08.15 BST <li class="history">
      Carlos Tevez looks to be on his way to Brazil after Manchester City agreed a fee with Corinthians for the striker. Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

Manchester City's manager, Roberto Mancini, has confirmed that an agreement has been reached with Corinthians for the sale of Carlos Tevez.
      City turned down a £40m bid from the Brazilian club last week, with City believed to be holding out for £50m for a player who finished as joint top scorer in the Barclays Premier League last season with 20 goals.
      However, speaking on the club's pre-season tour of North America, Mancini said: "We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player."
      City are now expected to turn their attention to signing Sergio Agüero as Tevez's replacement, with the striker adamant that he wants to leave Atlético Madrid.
      Corinthians moved for Tevez following his admission earlier this month that he wished to leave City for the sake of his family, with his two children based in his homeland.
      Andrés Sánchez, the Corinthians president, last week claimed Juventus had entered the race to sign Tevez but insisted his own club would not increase their offer for the wantaway South American.
      Tevez's advisor, Kia Joorabchian, revealed a few days ago that a deal with Corinthians was "close", with the player himself keen on a return to the club he previously represented between January 2005 and August 2006.
      The 27-year-old, who joined City from Manchester United in summer 2009 and has also previously played for West Ham United, is under contract at City until June 2014.
      Asked whether Tevez would now be discussing personal terms, Mancini replied: "I don't know this. I repeat, at the moment, Carlos is still a City player."
      He added: "I want to wait. At the moment we are here, we are working with the other guys. We should think about this."
      The City defender Joleon Lescott admitted he would be disappointed to see his team-mate depart but understood his wishes.
      The England international said: "We'll be disappointed if Carlos leaves but it was down to the club and Carlos what was best for each other and they have come to an agreement so I wish both parties all the best.
      "Carlos is his own man. Last season he played to 110% every game so none of us will be holding any grudges towards him and we'll wish him all the best if he does leave."
      City have highlighted Agüero as the perfect replacement for Tevez and will now begin negotiations following Argentina's exit from the Copa América.
      "He wanted the Copa América to end to sit down and talk. During this week everything will be settled," Agüero's agent, Hernán Reguera, told Ole.
      According to reports, Agüero would be willing to take a pay cut from his extraordinary £240,000-per-week salary should he make the move to Manchester, but Reguera says that his client's motivation is that of a new career challenge, despite City being one of the wealthiest club's in the world.
      "Agüero has made a lot of important things for Atletico. He renewed his contract when he was one year away from becoming a free agent, he has played over 200 matches, he spent two years without vacations," Reguera said. "He is thankful to the fans and to the club's board. We have been talking about this for two months.
      "I talk to the club's chiefs on a daily basis, and if it was hard for them to accept at the beginning, they have assumed it and there are no problems. He wants his career to grow, this has nothing to do with the money."

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
    X