X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Boyz arrive in Ecuador

Reggae Boyz arrive in Ecuador

Published: Thursday | September 1, 2011

Robert Bailey, Gleaner WriterJamaica's senior men's football team arrived in Quito, Ecuador, on Tuesday ahead of their friendly international against the hosts, which will be played tomorrow at the Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa Stadium, starting at 4 p.m. (Jamaica time).

The Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore-coached squad includes nine local-based players. Among them is first-time invitee Andre Vanzie, who represents Portmore United in the Premier League.

The 21-year-old Vanzie, a past student of the Garvey Maceo High School, was a member of the Jamaica Under-23 team which failed to qualify for the next year's Olympics Games.

Captain Shavar Thomas was expected to join up with the team last night, while defender Jermaine Taylor, who plies his trade with Major League soccer team Houston Dynamo, did not make the trip as he is currently in the island sorting out his work permit.

Eric Vernan, Xavian Virgo, Richard Edwards, Keneil Moodie, Montrose Phinn, Richard McCallum, Adrian Reid, Troy Smith and Dwyane Miller are the other local-based players in the squad.

The overseas-based players are Omar Cummings, Ryan Johnson, Demar Phillips, Damion Williams, Rodolph Austin, Dane Richards and Je'Vaughn Watson. The Ecuadorians are currently ranked 66th in the world.

The Jamaicans will travel to Fort Lauderdale after the match, where they will oppose another South American country, Colombia, in a friendly international on September 6. The Reggae Boyz, who are ranked 43rd by FIFA, were beaten 1-0 by China in their encounter earlier this month.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports8.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Is Lovel Palmer injured???
    I noticed he was not in the Gold Cup squad nor game against China, and again he is omitted. I think he has more to offer than Austin.

I also see that you guys still haven't given Sean Johnson a cap. He is a good, young goal keeper, and heading into the WC qualification, it is best to have as much quality players at each position as possible.

Comment

I don't Sean Johnson will get a call. It is surprising that Jamaica is very strong at the keeper position. We have Ricketts, Miller, Barrett, Thompson all playing Pro and Andre Blake just went to UCONN. They all came through the program. Don't look for Johnson anytime soon
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X