Scolari looks back at crucial Portugal win over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scolari looks back at crucial Portugal win over

<SPAN class=art-title2>Scolari looks back at crucial Portugal win over Brazil</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(REUTERS)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">05 Feb 2007</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>Luiz Felipe Scolari sits on the bench of his third Brazil v. Portugal match on Tuesday conscious that he owes his home country more than just the memory of a FIFA World Cup victory in 2002.

Portugal's 2-1 victory over Brazil in a friendly in Porto in 2003 gave his career as coach of the European nation the boost he needed for the successes he enjoyed with them at Euro 2004, where they reached the final on home soil, and the 2006 FIFA World Cup where they were semi-finalists.

"The result was very important for me. We had lost 1-0 to Italy in Genoa in my first match (in charge) and we had to get the fans on our side," Scolari said on Monday.

"We now enjoy a good relationship with the Portuguese fans. That was also the match that launched Deco," he told a news conference at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium, venue of Tuesday's friendly between Brazil and Portugal.

Deco, like Scolari born in Brazil, had recently obtained Portuguese citizenship but his inclusion in the national side was not met with the widespread approval the playmaker now enjoys from the fans.

Scolari is unbeaten in friendlies involving his country and Portugal, having taken his Brazil side to Lisbon in April 2002 for a warmup for the World Cup in Asia which ended 1-1. He quit Brazil for Europe after his triumph in the Japan final and took over the Portugal side.

Brazil, who beat Argentina and Wales in two previous friendlies in London under coach Dunga since their poor defence of the World Cup in Germany last year, are building a defence of their Copa America title in Venezuela in June/July.

EURO qualifiers
    Scolari's Portugal are preparing for UEFA EURO 2008 qualifiers against Serbia and Belgium near the end of March. Portugal are fourth in Group A on seven points, four behind leaders Finland.

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, the darling of the Portugal fans, told reporters that while playing the world's top-ranked side was an big challenge, given the choice he would rather beat the Serbians and Belgians.

"This is a friendly and I hope that the fans will cheer for a good spectacle, good football," added Ronaldo, when asked how he felt about being jeered by English fans since his Portugal side eliminated England in the FIFA World Cup quarter-finals and he had a controversial part in Wayne Rooney's sending-off.

Ronaldo, who was 22 on Monday, said he asked not to have any celebration of his birthday out of respect for Carlos Silva, the vice-president of the Portuguese Football Federation who died on Sunday.

Defender Jorge Andrade said Brazil were favourites on Tuesday, having won the FIFA World Cup five times whereas Portugal had never won the trophy.

But with Scolari in mind and a twinkle in his eye he added: "The World Cup winner is ours and that will be an advantage."</SPAN>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Scolari looks back at crucial Portugal win over

You know...as I watched that match I kept wondering if Deco, had he not opted for Portugal...if yesterday...on his current form he would have been considered for the Brazilian team?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

RE: Scolari looks back at crucial Portugal win over

Well Brasil's midfield isn't something that

you just waltz into but I must give Deco credit he is a ball artist not as special as Robinho but an artist with the ball. Brasil has players that will rise up. I think one of the reason why we are seeing less technical players or ball artist on Brasil's side is because of the youth recruiting (check Ginga) they aremore going for size and physical strength. In these times Zico, Juninho to name a few could not make it. What really saved Robinho was because pele said I see myself in this player. Santos may have to ask Pele to look at more kids fgor them. BTW that guy Sobis is ordinary you don't strike for Brasil and be one and one with the keeper and miss (him fi go play fi portugal, spain or England) mussi tink ah so Brasil win five title.

Comment

Working...
      X