Whittaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whittaker!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Patience pays off for senior debutant Whittaker</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Nothing in life, they say, happens before its time. And while that might be true, oftentimes those with the experience feel like victims. Just ask Allien Whittaker, who makes his senior team debut for the Reggae Boyz in today's final of the Lunar New Year Cup here in Hong Kong.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=120 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>WHITTAKER... I was longing for this opportunity </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Whittaker, 23, played a pivotal role in helping Jamaica to its first Under-17 World Cup Final appearance in New Zealand in 1999, and two years later, he was at it again, guiding the young Reggae Boyz to the Under-20 World Cup Finals in Argentina.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Though Jamaica were eliminated from the preliminary round, Whittaker, according to FIFA's technical committee, was voted the best goalkeeper of the tournament, despite his defence being beaten five times by a rampant Argentina, who eventually ran out easy winners of the championships.
    But despite all the achievements and accolades, Whittaker was never given a chance at the senior level, until new technical director Bora Milutinovic came on the scene.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I am surprised to an extent," Whittaker told the Observer in an exclusive interview yesterday, moments after learning that he would replace Richard McCallum in goal today.
    "I am overwhelmed. I am very much longing for this opportunity, but I feel a bit tentative because I have been out for a while... nonetheless, I am looking forward to the challenge."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Whittaker last represented the Reggae Boyz in an Under-23 tournament against Guatemala in that country four years ago under the guidance of the late Peter Cargill.
    Now he has "mixed feelings" about those exploits at the youth level.
    "I thought that would have boosted my career at the time, but I was overlooked."<P class=StoryText align=justify>He explained that he understood the challenges at the time, with quality goalkeepers such as his idol Aaron Lawrence, along with Donovan Ricketts, who now plies his trade in the English League with Bradford City.
    "... but even then, I thought the coaches would have shown more faith in the younger players," he said.
    According to Whittaker, with all of those setbacks he wasn't really worried, because he respected the players ahead of him at the time.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Still, I was discouraged because I thought enough was not being done to keep me involved in the game at the highest level," he said.
    Sometimes during a disaster one has to hit rock bottom before one can rebound, and that seemed to be what happened to Whittaker in 2002 while representing Rivoli United in the National Premier League.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Rivoli were one of three clubs he represented in the league, the others being Hazard (now Portmore United) and Village United.
    He was playing a game against Seba at Jarrett Park when he landed badly on his right leg. He damaged the knee then, but continued playing for a few more games.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The result was that he had to undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus, which kept him out of action for a year.
    That episode was like "an eye opener", he said. "After picking up an injury like that and receiving very little financial help, I lost hope and focus for the game," he noted.<P class=StoryText align=justify>During the difficult period of recovery
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Whittaker!

I can recall when somone came on the

site and said "why don't you guys get a UB40 goalie" A poster named Ras said No belive in yourselves, you can produce goalkeepers too. I think you may just have to call GURU fi true woooeeee, it gets better everyday LOL :P

Comment

We have the goalies, no doubt, but it wouldn't hurt if someone (even the JFF) could sponsor a goalkeeper camp every now and again. One of the old pro's from the big leagues could be brought in to share a few pointers with our stoppers. How deep is our custodian list? Look below:

Ricketts; Sawyers; McCallum; Whittaker; Leon Gordon; Leighton Murray; Jacomena Barrett; Dwayne Kerr.

During Carl Brown's two stints and Downswell's pole position too, I often lamented the fact that these two coaches refuse to play anyone else but Ricketts in goal. There were times when Ricketts should've been left at his club in order to blood the other goalies but CB and DW40 refused to budge.

Notice that during that same time, the USA played at least 8 different goalies in international games, giving them a feel of what it's all about at that level.

"The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Big up to Paul Campbell, maybe the best local coach we have and certainly the best goalie coach.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Leon who? He can no longer be on the radar for national duties.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X