No announcement yet.

UEFA president Platini to order replay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFA president Platini to order replay?

Platini may force Man Utd into replay
    tribalfooball.com - February 21, 2007

Manchester United could be forced to replay this week's first-leg Champions League win at Lille.

The Sun says UEFA announced last night they are to hold separate investigations into the on and off-field incidents that marred Tuesday's tie in Lens.

The French made a formal complaint about ref Eric Braamhaar, who allowed Ryan Giggs to score the winner with a quickly-taken free-kick.

UEFA's French president Michel Platini is known for his anti-English views and there are fears he will uphold his countrymen's complaint at tomorrow's meeting.

Lille president Michel Seydoux said he will be complaining directly to Platini.

Seydoux said: "I will call Michel Platini, who says he defends the beautiful game and the little teams.

"We have developed a beautiful game and we are a little team."

Amazingly, a separate investigation into the crowd control problems will not be heard until March 22.

Several United fans were injured in a crush that brought back memories of the Hillsborough disaster.

Dozens of fans tried to climb a 10ft-high security fence in Lens to escape the crush.

But French police then over-reacted by spraying the supporters with teargas as they tried to escape the danger.

UEFA will not, however, discuss the incident until two weeks after the second leg at Old Trafford.

A UEFA spokesman said: "The reason for the two dates is because a protest against a technical error could mean the match being replayed, if the protest was upheld.

"So the question over the goal would have to be decided way earlier than March 22, since the return leg is due to take place in two weeks' time."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: UEFA president Platini to order replay?

Platini have sense. Him only hear is an English club suh him think is Chelsea or some just come team.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Have to say based on the footage of the match the ref was correct.

As I said to you Lazie, on reviewing the tapedvideo he walked off on his diagonal...but, he walked right out of the frame.

Wouldn't it be something if there is video showing him moving players?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wouldn't it be something if there is video showing him moving players?

No such video exist because he did no such thing.

Comment

This reminds me of the match between the USA and Jamaica in South Carolina last year. The US were down 1-0 when Omar Daley put a rather reckless tackle on a US player (I think it was Donovan). While the referee was there cautioning Daley, the USA's players quickly got together and restarted the game without the referee indicating that play should restart. Most of the Jamaican players were not ready,and the next thing they knew was the USA was attacking their goal with most of our players out of themof position. Well, the USA scored to equalize the game and the referee allowed the goal to stand.

I thought that goal should have been disallowed. As a matter of fact, the rules according to FIFA website Law 5 - The Referee states:

Law 5 – The Referee

The Authority of The Referee
          Each match is controlled by a referee who has full authority to enforce the Laws of the Game in connection with the match to which he has been appointed.

Powers and Duties

The Referee:
          enforces the Laws of the Game;

controls the match in co-operation with the assistant referees and, where applicable, with the fourth official;

ensures that any ball used meets the requirements of Law 2;

ensures that the players' equipment meets the requirements of Law 4;

acts as timekeeper and keeps a record of the match;

stops, suspends or terminates the match, at his discretion, for any infringements of the Laws;

stops, suspends or terminates the match because of outside interference of any kind;

stops the match if, in his opinion, a player is seriously injured and ensures that he is removed from the field of play. An injured player may only return to the field of play after the match has restarted;

allows play to continue until the ball is out of play if a player is, in his opinion, only slightly injured;

ensures that any player bleeding from a wound leaves the field of play. The player may only return on receiving a signal from the referee, who must be satisfied that the bleeding has stopped;

allows play to continue when the team against which an offence has been committed will benefit from such an advantage and penalises the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time;

punishes the more serious offence when a player commits more than one offence at the same time;

takes disciplinary action against players guilty of cautionable and sending-off offences. He is not obliged to take this action immediately but must do so when the ball next goes out of play;

takes action against team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a responsible manner and may, at his discretion, expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds;

acts on the advice of assistant referees regarding incidents that he has not seen;

ensures that no unauthorised persons enter the field of play;

restarts the match after it has been stopped;

provides the appropriate authorities with a match report, which includes information on any disciplinary action taken against players, and/or team officials and any other incidents that occurred before, during or after the match.

The correct ruling is the referee should have recalled the goal and give the indication when theplay should restart. This is another case of the referee letting the USA off the hook once again! (tdown)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=sHead colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width="11%"></TD><TD class=sTxt vAlign=top width="89%" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla - I am not sure thatthe refdidn't restart the game.

Even so, I think the problem is a TOTALLY INCONSISTENT dispensation of the rules and laws of the game from referee to referee. One of the good things about American sports is that they have a completely CONSISTENT and almost close to perfect arbitration of their games even without video review (which baseball and basketball still don't have as I understand it). My beef is that from ref to ref, you have NO IDEA what you are going to get. When you watch basketball, there is very little controversy with regard to refereeing and application of the rules are close to perfect. Not so in the beautiful game.

Many many many years ago (before Lazie was born) I went to ref school as part of an effort to make some side money referring on weekends...one of the things that they taught us -- not a rule -- but a guideline, was to always restart the game with the whistle a) after an injury and b) if a wall was being formed. If that (among other best practices) were part of the code and consistently applied, we wouldn't have these problems.

All that being said, Lille only have them selves to blame. Any experienced team would have had their striker standing on top of the ball while the wall was being formed and never allow that shot to be taken. The goal, as much as I think Giggs violated the spirit of the game, was valid and should stand.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Tilla - I am not sure that the ref didn't restart the game.
              <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl4_lblFullMessage></SPAN>

<SPAN>Are you talking that USA/Jamaica game in Carson, SC? The ref did not even know play had started as he was still warning Daley when the USA's players were running the ball in our box.Our players also did not know the game was restarted. If you want a tapeof the match I can get it for you. I was surprised to see the ref did not call back the goal. But then, he must have said to himself, OK, suh mi mek mi money now. </SPAN>

<SPAN>I hope you got that joke. He mek his money (bribe money) because he was able to allow the USA to stay in the game.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:P

Later,

Tilla
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
              X