Assistant soccer coach indicted on sex charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistant soccer coach indicted on sex charges

<DIV class=gtv_headline id=GetFullStory1_divSlug>Assistant soccer coach indicted on sex charges</DIV>
    <DIV class=gtv_abstract id=GetFullStory1_divAbstract>CLEVELAND -- A soccer coach who volunteered in Garfield Heights tonight is facing the possibility of up to 30 years in prison.</DIV><DIV class=gtv_body id=GetFullStory1_divStory>He's accused of having sex with one of his athletes

Patrick Omiecinski (oh-my-sin-ski) was indicted this afternoon on charges of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

If convicted he could spend the next 30 years in prison.

Parents waiting to pick up their children at Garfield Heights High School are surprised to find out there was a suspected predator among the coaching staff.

"They ought to just lock him up there are so many people these days you can't trust the cops you can't trust the schools," one parent said.

"I think he should be jailed permanently -- creepy too creepy -- he shouldn't be around no children I know that," another parent said.

Soccer coach Patrick Omiecinski, 27, was volunteering only a few months last summer before Assistant County Prosecutor Pinkey Carr says he got involved in a sexual relationship with one of his athletes.

"The schools go above and beyond the call of duty they do background checks but unfortunately are somethings you can not see," Carr said.

Carr says there were two encounters, both off school property.

Over the phone schools superintendent Jeanne Sternad said:

"We are dismayed something like this could happen. We want to provide a safe and secure environment at all times."

Sternad says Omiecinski resigned last October because of personal reasons.

The school now prohibits him from coming to any functions or even stepping back on school property.
    </DIV><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><P class=breadcrumb>© 2007 </TD><TD vAlign=top><P class=breadcrumb><DIV id=GetFullStory1_divSource>WKYC-TV</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X