Ball condemns Rooney's FA threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball condemns Rooney's FA threat

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Rooney is threatening to pull out of his England commercial duties</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Former England star Alan Ball has criticised Wayne Rooney for threatening the Football Association after it failed to overturn his three-match ban.

Rooney's agent Paul Stretford reportedly sent a letter to the FA warning the striker could withdraw from commercial England duties.

Ball said: "I'm disappointed in his agent and by Rooney for taking on the FA. How much power do players want?"

"He should accept his punishment, grow up and become a great player."

Rooney and Manchester United team-mate Paul Scholes were sent off in a pre-season friendly against Porto and handed suspensions.

Both lost their appeals to the FA and Rooney was said to be so "devastated" that he sanctioned Stretford's letter to FA chief executive Brian Barwick late last week.

Rooney is now reportedly waiting for an official response before deciding his next move, but 1966 World Cup-winner Ball believes swallowing his punishment will make him a better player.

"I was sent off nine times and deserved it," Ball told www.nobok.co.uk. "But I finished off a miles better player by taking my punishment.

"He has to accept that you have to grow up to become a top football player - and he will do if he takes his punishment on the chin.

"But he won't if he thinks that he can come out and make statements to the FA."</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X