Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm not the only one with this view

Let’s end Rooney debate here

There has been a huge amount of nonsense in the press over the last few days about the quality of Wayne Rooney. Many say he is nowhere near world class after his performance against Italy on Sunday evening. Furthermore, Fabio Capello reckons that he only really turns up for Manchester United and never replicates his club form for England.
    But even Leo Messi would struggle to make any sort of impression for England with that sort of service. The back four and midfield struggled to put 3 consecutive passes together throughout the whole tournament. I know all you readers watched it too – the typical, tedious, disjointed drivel that was England at EURO 2012. Professional, international footballers who can’t pass the ball. We said it before the tournament and, surprise surprise, we are still saying it.
    It seems incredible to me that everyone is waxing lyrical about Pirlo when Hodgson left England’s best passers at home. So while the Italy game passed England’s midfield sluggers by, Micheal Carrick and Paul Scholes sat at home with their feet up swearing at telly. It’s so bizarre.
    So back to Rooney. As far as soccersweep is concerned, everything that he did against Italy was tidy and classy. But he seldom got the ball and so he had to come deep to try and make any sort of impression. What sort of damage can you do when your defence and midfield never creates anything?
    Why do we pay the top bods millions of pounds to confuse such a beautifully simple game? Football is all about pass and move. We are in awe of every team that does it but we don’t pick the only English players who are capable of it. We instead opt for the idea of energy in midfield. But we can hardly say that Gerrard and Parker, at 32 and 31, even provided inordinate amounts of that. The Italy fans must have been licking their lips when Gerrard went down with cramp after just an hour and Scott Parker ran around gingerly under the weight of various niggling injuries. The reason they were so knackered is surely because they spent so much energy chasing the ball. Oh I’ll tell you what, let’s bring Jordan Henderson on. He’ll sort it out! Why oh why weren’t Carrick and Scholes in the squad?
    My enduring memory of England at EURO 2012 is screaming at the TV as Joe Hart launches yet another long ball up to noone when what we need most is to have some possession. It doesn’t get much more frustrating than this, does it?

http://www.soccersweep.com/mancheste...y-debate-here/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

This is where the author and so many gets it wrong "Football is all about pass and move."

That is a part of the game but only a part. There is a lot more to the game than that. So much more.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

....so let's hear your wise thoughts as to what football is all about.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

um.. such as ??

and dont tell me scoring... that is the 'final pass'..

Comment

Why yuh show yuh hand so early? Yuh need to go study the art of boxing. Jab-Jab-UPPERCUT!!!
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Di service argument is ah scape goat, him play inna a lot international championships an di result an di same, non performance. Him just not up to it when him play inna dese type ah championships, is not him alone Messi as well suffer di said syndrome. Dem ongle ah try find excuse fi him, simple as dat.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
              Di service argument is ah scape goat, him play inna a lot international championships an di result an di same, non performance. Him just not up to it when him play inna dese type ah championships, is not him alone Messi as well suffer di said syndrome. Dem ongle ah try find excuse fi him, simple as dat.

The difference is ... look at the supply line England have ... compared to the supply line for MU. With MU he has Carrick and Scholes that can find him from deep in their defensive 3rd ... with England ... its only Gerrard. Mi nuh mine ... unuh cuss him say him nuh good.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Ah will not guh as far an seh him nuh good, mi nuh like X who call everybody rux. kah mi play dis all now gainst nuff young blood suh mi nah jus talk, but playahs who carry di mantle ah World Class need fi show it when di chips are down, an mi nevah si him show nutten close to him world class assumptions yet. An membah again mi seh Messi inna di said boat.

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                  Ah will not guh as far an seh him nuh good, mi nuh like X who call everybody rux. kah mi play dis all now gainst nuff young blood suh mi nah jus talk, but playahs who carry di mantle ah World Class need fi show it when di chips are down, an mi nevah si him show nutten close to him world class assumptions yet. An membah again mi seh Messi inna di said boat.
                  But can we blame Messi? Look at the midfield he has at Barca .... look at the midfield he has at Argentina? When Maradona carried Argentina ... he had the players to give him the ball where he can do damage.

The Italians mentioned the same about Rooney.

Comment

there are many missing link. It is about beating your man mentally and physically. It is about weakness and strenght. You dont have to pass the ball one time to score. A goalie can kick it in the opposite goal.

How about beating players? Some players do it individually and do it well. That is a big problem with the English game thinking the game is build just around passing. Yes it is a big part of the game but don't be fooled by thinking it is the whole game.

You notice how the Germans and the Italian play? The sometimes make their defensive move long before the ball is played and try to obstruct your game. A bet a Brazillian or Ronaldo will never tell you that. The biggest problem with the English team is lacking a good player who can hold it up and create play but them still don't see that.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The big difference with Manu is you have players who create space for Rooney. Nani, Valencia, young, etc draw players to them and create more space for Rooney in the middle. If Rooney is close marked in any game he is not effective. He plays one-two very well and run off the ball good but to actually take on good defenders and beat them one and one, that is not his thing and that is what England is looking for.

Comment

Sass I don't want to come across as bullying you, so I am going to give you a chance to regroup, wheel and come again with your arguments.

Remember this is what we are discussing:

This is where the author and so many gets it wrong "Football is all about pass and move."

Comment

yes it is not simple about pass and move. Is it really?
                          A so the Englishman play it but think again. You can't bully me cause mi play it and mi know. There is too much other art in the game than simply that.

Part of the reason they don't have creative players because that is what for most part they coach.

Comment

lol.....last chance or me unleash Benj pon yuh.

Comment

talk your talk. Is it simply about ""Football is all about pass and move."

Comment

Working...
                              X