Rene Simoes To Coach Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rene Simoes To Coach Canada

<SPAN class=articleAuthor id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder_article_NavWebPart_Art icle_ctl00___Author1__>MORGAN CAMPBELL</SPAN>
    <SPAN id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder_article_NavWebPart_Art icle_ctl00___Credit1__ style="TEXT-TRANSFORM: uppercase">SPORTS REPORTER</SPAN>
    <SPAN id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder_article_NavWebPart_Art icle_ctl00___BodyLineup__>

Ten weeks away from the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Canada's men's soccer team still doesn't have a head coach, but that will change soon.

Yesterday, Canadian Soccer Association president Colin Linford denied a report that the CSA had already hired Brazilian Rene Simoes, but reaffirmed his attention to fill the job by the end of this month. The digital cable network GolTV first reported that Simoes had accepted the job, but Linford says interviews with four candidates are ongoing.

"We're in the process of interviewing but we're nowhere near being able to hire," Linford said. "I guess the (Simoes report) started from a rumour and seems to have spread."

Simoes, 54, coached Jamaica's "Reggae Boyz" to a berth in the 1998 World Cup, and more recently coached Brazil's national women's team. Linford wouldn't confirm whether Simoes has interviewed for the job, nor would he identify the other candidates.

The team hasn't had a full-time coach since last June, when Frank Yallop resigned to coach the L.A. Galaxy of Major League Soccer. Stephen Hart has coached the team in the interim, but Linford wants a permanent coach in place for the Gold Cup scheduled for June 6-24.</SPAN>

RE: Rene Simoes To Coach Canada

The report did not say they were going to hire Simoes OJ. Do you think they will offer him the job?
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Where there is smoke there is fire. I know that the ontario people like him and he was here to do some session a year or so ago. Now I did not think the entire CSA board would go outside of a European coach or a Canadian with European background such as Yallop. However the ontario people who Simoes has a relationship would do it. Coincedentally the new CSA president is from the osa andwould be influenced by what ontario wants. I would not say this is likely but in this case I will say where there is smoke there is fire. I alsodont seeanyone elsesince Ray Hall left and went back toWatford andI dont tink Steven Hart get the respect from theold folks although I think he would do well.

Comment

Do you think Simoes would get the audience he got here in Jamaica? I mean, Rene loved the spotlight and hence took a lot of time to write many of his Dear Jamaicans articles. Hey, remember there was smoke in Jamaica too for a second coming but they instead hire Bora. In that case it did not result in a fire.

I am not so sure that his style would fit Canada anyhow, but what do I know.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
        X