Liverpool's baller Raheem's return inspires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool's baller Raheem's return inspires

He is only 17 years old and hails from the tough Corporate Area community of Maverly, but Raheem Sterling rubs shoulders daily with football superstars, including Jamie Carragher, Luis Suárez and the England captain, Steven Gerrard.

He is quickly becoming a fan favourite at Anfield, the home of one of the biggest football clubs in the world, Liverpool FC, and has already represented England in a number of age-group tournaments.

But, months away from his 18th birthday, he remains the shy unassuming young man who left Maverley in Kingston 20 just over 10 years ago.

Sterling returned to Jamaica recently to attend the funeral of his grandfather, and were it not for the large group of young men trailing behind him one would never know that he has already attracted a £300,000 (J$40 million approx.) transfer fee.

His presence in Maverley over the past two weeks gave the community a huge lift as the young men saw one of their own - one whom they played street scrimmage with - emerging as one of the rising stars in world football.

They hung on to his every word, even though he did not say much, and tried to copy his every move as they juggled a football in the park metres from the house on Reapers Road where he spent his early years.

"He is definitely a positive influence," his mother, Nadine, told The Gleaner more than one year ago.

"He was born and bred in Maverley and I have even started suggesting to him that when everything is settled and the time is right, it would be great for him to go back to Jamaica, to his former school in particular. and talk to the kids about not giving up on their dreams and working hard for success and stuff like that," Nadine said at the time.

right time

Last week the time was right, and Raheem's influence was clearly obvious as the young, and even the not so young, dusted off their football boots.

"The 'Big Man' is here and we so proud of him," one elderly man declared as he announced that he watches every Liverpool match in the hope that "Raheem gets even five minutes on the field".

"When Chelsea buy me, and me and Raheem clash, a that time you a guh see ball play," declared a young boy no more than 12 years old.

Sterling took the adoration in his stride, as he has done most things since he came to national prominence in England while at the Queen's Park Rangers (QPR) academy.

"It is good playing with players like Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher," Sterling told The Sunday Gleaner as he spoke about breaking into the Liverpool first team last season.

"There was one time I came on and they were giving me the ball to say go and attack the fullback, so it was good to know that they had confidence in me and see me as a young player who is good enough," said the speedy and skilful winger.

Breaking into the Liverpool first team was a development that has helped to boost his confidence.

high point

"I have travelled with the first team down to places like Arsenal in the past, but I did not make the bench or anything so it was good to go on," said Sterling of the March 24 game against Wigan when he became the club's third-youngest player of all time.

That was the high point of a football career which started when he was a 10-year-old playing for a Sunday league team before he was snapped up by QPR and taken to its youth academy.

He started playing for England at the under-16 level and since then has represented every English age-group team, including the under-19 team which he played for this year.

"Hopefully, this season I will make a full breakthrough for the Liverpool first team and see where it goes from there."

For school, Sterling now attends classes twice each week at Liverpool juggling education and football.

He is contracted to Liverpool for two more years, but has no plans to leave the club anytime soon despite its decision to replace its cult hero and manager, Kenny Dalglish, for next season.

"He (Dalglish) is the one who gave me my debut, so I am grateful for that. To make my debut for Liverpool at 17 is quite an achievement, so I am happy that he had faith in me."

But Sterling has no concern about new manager Brendan Rodgers.

"It's actually quite a good trade because he wanted me to come down to Swansea on loan (last season), so he is a good manager."

Sterling returns to training with Liverpool on July 4, having enjoyed his time in Jamaica, to begin preparing for a season, hopefully better than last year when the club finished down the table with one trophy to show.

Will he return to represent the Reggae Boyz at any level? This is the question on everybody's lips in Maverley, but that is one issue Sterling is staying away from right now.

His mother, however, long ago, made it clear that seeing him in the black, green and gold would be her preference.

Speaking to The Gleaner in that 2011 interview, Nadine expressed a desire to see her son turn out for his native country, but if the English have any say, it is the red and white of 'The Three Lions' that he will continue to wear for a very long time.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

And here is his right winger...:fingerscrossed:

http://www.crunchsports.com/category...-201207010010/
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post

"When Chelsea buy me, and me and Raheem clash, a that time you a guh see ball play," declared a young boy no more than 12 years old.
      Poor kid...4 years past his expiry date but still keeping hope alive...probably thinks he will get signed by Chelsea as an 18 year old Manning Cup player...somebody break it to him gently...

Comment

What if another clubs are willing to pay more than Chelski?

Comment

huh?

Comment

12+4=16.....

Comment

8+4=12

Comment

Hmmm... Raheem was 2 years past his supposed expiry date on touching down in Babylon

Must be an aberration
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

There are several factors which determine why a GROUP consistently displays superior performance in sprinting... as opposed to random individuals who compete in sprints

Extreme desire to succeed & community support of that goal
                  Dedication to training
                  World class training from coaches
                  Early talent identification & development
                  Competitive environment ...aka High School Champs
                  Genetic predisposition for speed

No one factor is sufficient on its own for success in sprinting for a GROUP performing over time in the sport (decades) but all are necessary. One can attempt a ranking of the factors but the order would be subjective...most agree that desire and environmental factors like coaching & competition are paramount.....even scientists with the speed gene theory agree that's the case.

An individual whose background does not meet all the above criteria but yet still achieves success at sprinting merely reflects a case of an exception proving the rule.
                  Now shut up little man

Comment

LOL...you're such a pea brain...but at least you follow my posts so you're not quite as limited as your professional cruise steward background would suggest... fram wheday yuh post dem ah get more idiotic..is like yuh lick yuh head ah dodge coppashat likkle while aback

Run along now and google the meaning of aberration as I used in my post... in doing so tek time remove yuh shoe fram yuh owna face LOL

In fack since yuh might ave difficulty wid dat given yuh coppashat lobotomy ...seeit yah

Aberration | Define Aberration at Dictionary.com. noun. 1. the act of departing from the right, normal, or usual course

Now begone pea brain
                    Last edited by Don1; July 2, 2012, 02:57 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Yuh think I style yuh as a pseudo-intellectual on a whim? Mi nuh mus read yuh tripe to come to that conclusion...at least yuh had enough courage to face me yourself...lef yuh foot soldier SkengDummy behind this time...man a try save face when Skeechers already kick aff dat

Comment

Well yuh name yuhself appropriately...yuh ave one brick pon top fi reel

Doesn't get dumber than a Brick... mi wi tek mi pseudo intellect ova dat any day

Comment

All the better to bruck pseudo-intellectual foot when dem try kick off mi face wit faulty reasoning...crack...

Comment

It would be good to hear his exact route to the QPR academy? Where did they see him? They - persons and institutions - who had an influence on his years kicking a ball before he entered that QPR academy?

Wah Bricktop dida tell wi - Academy starts at 6 years old? ...or did he say 8?
                            Would be interesting info!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I said 8...he didn't go to the UK till he was 10...I guess they saw him playing high school football

He would always say that I should take him somewhere where he could play freely and we found a programme for him

Comment

Working...
                              X