Robin van Persie will not sign new Arsenal contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin van Persie will not sign new Arsenal contract

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has announced that he will not be signing a new deal at the club.

The 28-year-old, who has a year left on his current contract, confirmed that he had met with manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

But he revealed that they disagree on the way the club should move forward.

"I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract," the Dutchman wrote on his personal website.

“I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.”

It is not yet clear whether Van Persie, who scored 41 goals in 53 games for club and country and was named both the Professional Footballers' Association and Football Writers' player of the year last season, will see out the remainder of his contract or seek a move away from the Emirates.

The Gunners do not want a repeat of last summer, when Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri were sold after the season had started.

The Dutch international added that there would be further meetings once Gazidis returns from a two-week holiday in America and that he would provide updates "if and when there are more developments".

Referring to his meeting - on 16 May - with Wenger and Gazidis, Van Persie said: "This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.
    Van Persie at Arsenal

2004-05: 41 games, 10 goals
    2005-06: 38 games, 11 goals
    2006-07: 31 games, 13 goals
    2007-08: 23 games, 9 goals
    2008-09: 44 games, 20 goals
    2009-10: 20 games, 10 goals
    2010-11: 33 games, 22 goals
    2011-12: 48 games, 37 goals

"Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward."

On Tuesday, Wenger wrote in his Eurosport column: "We want to keep Robin van Persie at all costs, because we depend on him offensively. I have always supported him even in the hardest times, and I hope he will end his career at Arsenal."

Van Persie, who Joined from Feyenoord for £2.75m in 2004, said his statement was a necessity because of the abundance of media speculation regarding his future.

"I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens," he added. "I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.

"Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all [and more] on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years."

Arsenal have seen a number of their club captains leave over recent seasons, with Patrick Vieira (to Juventus), Thierry Henry and Fabregas (both to Barcelona) all departing.

The club have not won a trophy since beating Manchester United on penalties in the 2005 FA Cup final, the summer after which Vieira was sold.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Try and sell him to Manchester City for the 20 million or lose him for nothing end of the season, i know which option is more sensible!!

Comment

24 Minutes ago

All the years on the doctors bed and this is the thanks you give us? One good season and you think you can dictate how the club is run. C'est la vie

Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
      Comment number 11.
      Bodster
      25 Minutes ago

1 and a half good seasons out of 8 and he thinks he holds all the cards. Let him rot in the reservces. Play him in the CC matches. We supported him through his petulant years, his injuries and his rape allegations. Honesetly, it disgusts me that he just attempts to jump ship like this. Grrrrrrrrrrr

+1
      Comment number 10.
      Actionr
      25 Minutes ago

If he stays for the last year, I hope Arsenal will win a trophy.

If he goes, many thanks for your years at the team and hopefully we will cash now that he has played a good year (please 30M plus!!!)..

Would be interesting to find out about what the disagreement is.

Finally the team always survives and new players will appear.

+3
      Comment number 9.
      Doctor Jekyll
      26 Minutes ago

After 8 years, he finally had the season that Gunners knew he could produce. As the main man with everyone assisting him, then he did brilliantly.

Unfortunately, there is no team in the Premier League or in Spain that can will win the title that will play him that much or focus their team around him.

Good luck being a bit player player somewhere else.

Comment number 8.
      johnpearce48
      27 Minutes ago

Arsenal are now a feeder club for bigger teams; it is wonderful that they make such a big effort to help others.

Comment number 7.
      Maxtor
      27 Minutes ago

Arsenal are a joke. Cheapskate when it comes to buying players or giving their top players high wages and yet are one of the most expensive clubs to follow in expensive tickets.

Time for fans to stand up and demand they get value for their expensive tickets and at least have some ambition of winning a trophy.

Comment number 6.
      biggerboat
      28 Minutes ago

Arsenal will be sad for him to leave, Arsneal can talk about loyalty, Arsenal can talk about the fact that we've stuck with him during many injuries and he now seems to be thanking them by leaving..... but ultimately, what attracts quality players is trophies and money - not a nice business model and pretty football! when will Arsenal realise this?

Comment number 5.
      GunnerCentaur
      29 Minutes ago

Another one bites the dust...

+3
      Comment number 4.
      chongmaster
      29 Minutes ago

I hope Arsenal fans don't come on here insulting Van Persie as a player because on his day he is as good as anyone. What I would say is that he has become, with this decision, truly ungrateful. he was a reject in Holland with people convinced he didn't have the attitude to succeed before Arsenal took a chance on him. He was injured almost every season and Arsenal stood by him.

Comment number 3.
      Djkane
      30 Minutes ago

Since when do players dictate how clubs should be run. We see this all the time now and players throwing their toys out of the pram. They need to wake up and see the real world! That said, he'd be tasty up front aside Rooney!

Comment number 2.
      alex
      32 Minutes ago

Arsenal don't win trophies and cant keep there good players, why would any player want to stay at Arsenal lol

Comment number 1.
      desert penguin
      33 Minutes ago

hey robin, you're not as good as you think you are. the arsenal formation made you the main man and fed you goals last season. now go wherever it is that you want to go and be the bit-part player that you deserve to be. there was arsenal before and there will be arsenal after. if the grass looks greener on the other side, the water bill is higher.

Comment

Club Statement: Robin van Persie

Arsenal Football Club has issued the following statement with regard to Robin van Persie's future:

"

We have to respect Robin's decision not to renew his contract. Robin has one year to run on his current contract and we are confident that he will fulfil his commitments to the Club.

"We are planning with ambition and confidence for next season with Arsenal's best interests in mind."

Comment

No boss, we can not be a feeder team for City. I say Real Madrid, Barcelona, or Paris Saint Germain which was recently bought by a billionaire.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Poor unnuh...

Comment

The fans are always going to be upset as many - even though they have been watching the game for donkey's years - don't understand that players are mercenaries. I saw one comment on there about the club sticking with him through thick and thin and this is the thanks he's given them. Hello!? What about the hundreds of men that the club has discarded like last week's newspaper? Football is a brutal business with no loyalties and no love lost. For the players, they have to make hay while the sun shines; for the clubs, they have to figure out how to make the sun shine often with nothing more than a pair of tweesers and a shoestring. RVP has to do what is in his best interests, just as is the case for Arsenal. It's an ugly business.
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

having said all of that I am now REALLY curious as to his reason, he said it was more about the philosphy or the ambitions of the club ... something to that effect. what are they doing that he doesn't want or what is it that he wants that they will not do ..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  having said all of that I am now REALLY curious as to his reason, he said it was more about the philosphy or the ambitions of the club ... something to that effect. what are they doing that he doesn't want or what is it that he wants that they will not do ..
                  I am sure he wants them to run it like City or Manu** where silverware is more important than profit and debtlessness. He probably pressed Wenger to buy more expensive talent (even though Wenger has gone shopping this transfer window) especially for a playmaking midfielder of big name status. That's my guess anyway. If RVP loves the club and its fans, he should hand in a transfer request and move on to a club like RM, Barca, City, Manu** or Bayern Munich, where they have the appetite to pay him big money while still affording him opportunity to play in big leagues and champions league football. At least that way, Arsenal would get some money for him.
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Van Persie had no intention of remaining at Arsenal

I knew he wouldn't resign as soon as he refuse to do so earlier. I believe we should sell him and buy two players with the fund. M"Villa and Lloris.
                    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                      I am sure he wants them to run it like City or Manu** where silverware is more important than profit and debtlessness. He probably pressed Wenger to buy more expensive talent (even though Wenger has gone shopping this transfer window) especially for a playmaking midfielder of big name status. That's my guess anyway. If RVP loves the club and its fans, he should hand in a transfer request and move on to a club like RM, Barca, City, Manu** or Bayern Munich, where they have the appetite to pay him big money while still affording him opportunity to play in big leagues and champions league football. At least that way, Arsenal would get some money for him.
                      AT this point there is no OPTION but to sell him, after such a statement. RVP does not dictate the club's policy in who to buy. It appears that he wants the club to buy some expensive players to help him. He has had 1 good season, free from injury and now he is a prima donna !! SELL HIS AZZ !!

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
                        I knew he wouldn't resign as soon as he refuse to do so earlier. I believe we should sell him and buy two players with the fund. M"Villa and Lloris.
                        Seems like M"Villa is no longer an option based on his actions at EURO 2012, he was disrespectful to the coach and will be punished by the French FA, for his indiscretions.

Comment

Why the hell huh keep calling the Empire's name? We don't want a bruckdown player.......especially after we just got rid of the Owens brothers.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

No real surprises here as it was expected and continues the trend of star players leaving AFC and going onto greater successes elsewhere. And who can blame RVP for wanting to compete with a greater chance of picking up a trophy at the end of the season.
                            So IMO it's normal service resumes next season with the club main priority being qualifying for the financial rewards of CL football whilst charging their expectant fans top dollar at the gate for the privelage.

Comment

Sell him! Never fear the coming season we shall be in

...the mix! ...and we shall do much better than the last!

Win the EPL?
                              My GUNNERS in with a damn good chance!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X