X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONCACAF to introduce CL format in 2009

CONCACAF to introduce CL format in 2009

Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - CONCACAF will introduce a Champions League in 2009 as its main club competition, replacing its Champions Cup, the regional governing body announced Wednesday.
    Besides saying that the competition will include a group phase, no details on the format or structure were disclosed.
    The decision was approved by CONCACAF's executive committee at its meeting in Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles on Tuesday, the organization said in a release.

Soccer's governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean has changed the format of its premier club championship several times in the past decade, and announced plans for a champions league competition in 2002, but abandoned it before it conducted a draw.

No need to thank me forumites.

RE: CONCACAF to introduce CL format in 2009

... and based on what I saw in the Red Stripe cup, we're in no position to make strides in this league.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Hehe....well that Red Stripe cup thing goes without saying.

However I do believe the new format is benificial for us. I assume this means that rather then being limited to the one fool fool carribbean slot we will get our very own spot in the competition if not 2 or 3. The more our clubs are exposed to competition outside the island the betteroff we'll be.As well I do believe the new format will bring a level of legitimacy to the competition that was not there before. I salute CONCACAF on this one.

Btw....anyone notice Gamma missing? I wonder if he was at that meeting rubbing shoulders with the movers and shakers....hhhhmmmm....- T.K.

Comment

Not knoocking the idea, just shaking my head at how WE continue to miss the boat at the club level. Our best players try to move to European leagues, yet enough isn't being done to teach the up coming youngsters.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yeah I hear you. I just think that the more we are exposed to the standards of club teams outside of the carribbean our currentstandards will be positively influenced. I think it is a win win for us. - T.K.

Comment

Working...
          X