No bad boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No bad boy

iscarded Reggae Boy Chris Humphrey still has high hopes of representing the national team in the future and does not want to be branded as troublemaker in the eyes of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).

The wide player, who plies his trade for Scottish Premier League team Motherwell, made his debut for the national team against Panama in May of this year, but found himself on the wrong side of national head coach Theodore Whitmore and the JFF a few weeks later. In the team's return leg against Panama, only two weeks ahead of the start of the World Cup Qualifiers, Humphrey was suspended for two games, along with now retired national striker Marlon King, for breaking the team's curfew rules following a 2-1 defeat.

missing qualifiers

Despite missing the subsequent qualifiers against Guatemala and Antigua and Barbuda, Humphrey is yet to be recalled to the squad. However, the 25-year-old remains hopeful of regaining his spot after speaking with the federation, who assured him that the door was not closed on his future.

"I have spoken to our FA. When I was sent home, the players who came in to replace me did well, so I am waiting for a gap to open up so I can get selected again," Humphrey told UK publication Daily Record. (www.dailyrecord.co.uk)

"I have served my two-game international ban and they have said there is a good chance I will play for Jamaica again."

Hamper insists that the team were not told that there was a curfew in effect, but in retrospect also admits that the duo were not given permission to leave the team either.

"We went out after the Panama game and when I was coming home the coach was walking past the rooms and I was caught red-handed," Humphrey said.

"My argument was we weren't told we couldn't go out, but we weren't told we could and that was the basis of it.

"That was really the only disappointment of the year to be honest, the rest of my football couldn't have gone better. I knew I had to knuckle down after what happened on the international front and I feel I have done that. I didn't want to be seen as a bad boy."
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!
Working...
X