• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Not Be Business As Usual, Says Burrell

Will Not Be Business As Usual, Says Burrell
    Published: Friday | December 14, 2012 0 Comments

Burrell
    Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

He declined to comment on the future of Jamaica's national football team's coaching staff, but Jamaica Football Federation boss, Captain Horace Burrell, has promised that it will not be 'business as usual' following the Reggae Boyz's humiliation at the Caribbean Cup tournament in Antigua and Barbuda.

The Reggae Boyz, the defending champions, failed to advance to the knockout phase of the Caribbean Football Union-organised tournament, after finishing at the bottom of their four-team group with a solitary point from three games.

"I am very disappointed in the performance of the team, and it is very difficult to accept any reason that would see any Jamaican team at the bottom of their group," Burrell told The Gleaner yesterday from his hotel room in Antigua and Barbuda.

"I have requested the technical committee to immediately do an in-depth review of the overall performance of the team and to make the report available within the next 24 hours.

"I will await the outcome of the technical committee's report, because I am not about to find excuses for our poor performance. The fact is we performed below par and we must now take account of ourselves and do what we have to in order to enhance our chances of qualifying for the World Cup. The performances were dismal, it was terrible and very embarrassing. There are consequences and we have to live by those."

Major loss

Jamaica's shock exit before the semi-final stage means the country will also miss out on next summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup - the premier football tournament in the region. This will see the national team, which has progressed to the final stage of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, miss out on much-needed finances and high-quality match practice.

"That is very disappointing; missing out on the Gold Cup, and it is something which is embarrassing and unacceptable," Burrell said. "Not participating in the Gold Cup is going to have serious financial consequences, and hence, for all these reasons, it cannot be and will not be business as usual.

"This performance has to be assessed comprehensively and the necessary corrective action taken as soon as possible."

Burrell further pointed out that the federation is now faced with the task of quickly putting in place a number of contingency plans to find other international games during the staging of the Gold Cup when the other teams will be playing.

The national football squad is scheduled to return to the island today via Montego Bay, after an overnight stay in Miami.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Lots of potential money lost.

Please clean house Cap'n.

Start with Tappa. Hope most of the locals are removed too. Such a shame!!

BTW: Hue (and others) got 2 chances and blew it. They are not international talent:
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Did I not tell you not to comment on any sport but cricket?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So the Captain has no responsibility in all of this? just asking...
        Peter R

Comment

He will tell you he has gone to England to get the players who can take us to Brazil,

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Did I not tell you not to comment on any sport but cricket?
            Why? because Jamaicans prefer CRICKET over football?

BTW: please find ONE post I have made commenting on the sport cricket.

AGAIN: You and other Jamaicans prefer cricket over football:

Wat yuh trying to do... twist things around? it's nat werkin'!!

I have a feelin this is the last you and this forum will see Hue wearing the national colors

HL

Comment

Did not have a good enough look

at Martinique but they could not score against Jamaica. So i am going to pick TT or Haiti to win the CFU champs.

CFU website could do with some improvements like 7 minute highlights of games. MLS is the best for that.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                I have a feelin this is the last you and this forum will see Hue wearing the national colors
                Yuh may be right. But it's not quite the same thing going to the WC to watch other teams play. Be prepared for that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...and you are right about that.

Planning to attend this next World Cup-- and it would be very nice to add a Jamaican game to the ticket. Not to worry...I will be dressed in Red (or Blue). Just ask Bruce (whom I met at the USA v. Jamaica game) in Ohio a few months ago.

HL

Comment

Working...
                  X