• Show
Clear All

• Burrell lashes Boyz' shambolic display

Burrell lashes Boyz' shambolic display

JFF boss scolds mediocre Jamaican senior players
    SEAN WILLIAMS with the Reggae Boyz @ THE CARIBBEAN CUP IN ANTIGUA

Friday, December 14, 2012

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2F5FkgwIL

DEEP BAY, Antigua — JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell did not mince words when he lashed the performance of the Reggae Boyz in the ongoing CFU Caribbean Championship.

"I'm disappointed. I'm livid. I have never seen such shambolic football and there is no excuse for it... the players must take responsibility," Burrell told the Jamaica Observer after Jamaica were eliminated from the tournament with a 1-0 defeat against Cuba on Wednesday night.

BURRELL... I’ve never seen such shambolic football and there’s no excuse for it

The JFF president targeted the local-based players, many of whom failed to measure up in a tournament they had the opportunity to make theirs.

"They did not show the quality and it's just an embarrassment to me and the country to come to a tournament like this and play so badly... many of these local-based players have been calling out for the opportunity and they got it and now they blew it," an impassioned Burrell said.

He said going forward, the role of the overseas professionals will become even more important as the Boyz begin their final push for a place in Brazil 2014, which starts with an away match at high altitude against Mexico on February 6, next year.

"It's obvious that we have to continue to draw on the experience and quality of our players plying their trade overseas and it's clear that we have to focus on the established talent to take us forward.

"This is not to suggest that we are closing the door on any local player showing the aptitude, but based on what was on display here, it makes you wonder if the local Premier League is churning out the quality," an obviously disappointed Burrell said.

He said only one local-based player impressed throughout the three games where Jamaica lost 2-1 to French Guiana, 0-1 to Cuba and between that labouring to a 0-0 draw with group winners Martinique.

"That young man showed that the country is capable of producing quality, the way in which he applied himself in that central defensive role showed that in him is a future prospect for Jamaica... it would be the greatest feeling for me if I could say the same for all the others, but sadly I can't," Burrell lamented.

The CONCACAF executive committee member said even a second-rate Jamaica team should be able to come to the Caribbean tournament and shine, which makes the experience even more painful when one looks at the calibre within the 23-man squad of MLS players and those playing on continental Europe.

"At our stage of football development, even a 'B' team should be able to come and do much better than what we have... what we saw has made us the shame and laughing stock of the Caribbean," Burrell stated.

The visionary behind all of Jamaica's World Cup appearances at varying levels said he has ordered the chairman of the JFF Technical and Development Committee, Howard McIntosh, to do a post-mortem of the tournament and for a report to be prepared for presentation to the board of directors in short order.

Having not qualified for the final four here, the Boyz effectively squandered an opportunity to be at the confederation's premier competition, the CONCACAF Gold Cup to be played in the USA next summer.

"Having qualified for the final round of the World Cup qualifiers and not being in the Gold Cup is not an easy one to swallow. But the show must go on and we have to now look at getting friendly matches and to possibly do some tours to get the team together as often as possible," Burrell ended.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2F5FLpbjo

Tony

Burrell stop your whining, it was bad enough you whined about the players not travelling business class on flights, face it, at this current time Jamaica does not have a team capable of playing world cup football much less beating a country whose national sport is baseball.

Andre Gordon

The Captain must lay the blame where it should. The fact is, local players or not, Jamaica has not played consistently good football since the sacking of Bradley Stewart and have played even worse since the arrival of the Braziilians. This atrocious brand of football is played at all levels of the National Program, from U17's to Seniors.

Tappa and his band of Braziilans must go and very soon too or else we will not only be the laughing stock of the Caribbean, but of the entire CONCACAF.

By the way Captain, the squad is not entirely local based and oh...the players didn't pick themselves.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Montesso: A time for introspection

Montesso: A time for introspection

SEAN WILLIAMS with the Reggae Boyz @ THE CARIBBEAN CUP IN ANTIGUA

Friday, December 1

DEEP BAY, Antigua
    — While expressing profound disappointment with the horrible football the Reggae Boyz put on show at the ongoing CFU Caribbean Championship, assistant coach Alfredo Montesso said the immediate response is self-examination.

Having played woeful football in a tournament that Jamaica were expected to dominate being the defending champions, they were duly but humiliatingly eliminated from the preliminary stage after suffering shock defeats to French Guiana (2-1), Cuba (1-0) and earned a solitary point in 0-0 draw with group winners Martinique.

MONTESSO... we paid the price for lack of concentration

"I feel really bad as nobody wants to lose and nobody planned to end the competition this way and I am very disappointed... I think first we missed our concentration, especially in the first game and we paid the price... throughout the tournament we are always behind in games," said a remorseful-sounding Brazilian.

He said while it's a difficult time for the players, the technical staff and the wider JFF family, the stage is set for deep analytical work to craft a path going forward to CONCACAF final round World Cup qualification set to kick off away to Mexico at high altitude on February 6.

"It's a very difficult time for us now, but we will have time to put some extra work, not only with the team, but to analyse player-by-player as we have to move on from what we had here. The hard work now is to analyse what we did and hopefully we can take the good points going forward," he said after the team meekly bowed out of the competition following the loss to Cuba on Wednesday.

He said from a team lacking shape, "concentration" and in questionable physical shape in three games of disastrous football, there was one bright spark.

"Alvas Powell did well in a very difficult tournament when the team was not that organised," Montesso told Jamaican reporters as he gave the 18-year-old Paul Bogle High student high marks in his mature rendition at the heart of defence in two games.

Montesso warned that in assessing the performance of some players from whom a lot was expected, the matter cannot be knee-jerk approach.

"I think we have to be careful, I don't want to use this as an excuse, but first we have to analyse the moment of the players, we have to analyse that all the players in the MLS just finished a competition and I don't believe that they were in the best physical condition.

"Sometimes when we saw our team on the pitch you could see some quality, but we could not see the shape and the same things we saw in the games against the United States at home and against Guatemala (World Cup qualification) even though we lost that game... we did not see the same fitness condition.

"It's very disappointing (the way some of the players did) but we have to be calm to analyse everything or we are going to throw everything in the garbage that we have done so far and I don't believe that we have to reach that stage right now," noted Montesso, who has had an enduring relationship with Jamaica's football since glory years of his countryman, the colourful Rene Simoes.

Of 23 players here, the coaching staff headed by Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, used as many as 21. From the first match there were four changes, and for the death-defying Cuba match where the Boyz needed a win to advance to the semi-final, six were made.

The logic, according to Montesso, was two-fold — one, the coaching team was in a desperate search to find an effective combination, and secondly, they wanted to expose as many players as possible.

"For the condition that we met these players in, we knew we had to rotate them in this competition, as we had planned for five games, and based on their condition we know we couldn't keep them for more than two or three games straight, so this is why we made the rotation.

"On the other side of the coin the rotation also served to expose as many players as possible, to give them the opportunity to show themselves in high pressure situations," Montesso explained.

Only goalkeeper Jacomeno Barrett and Ewan Grandison did not taste action. But many of whom who got their chance failed to rise and put in the fight. Based on their potential and promise, Jermaine Hue, Xavian Virgo, Lovel Palmer, Jermaine Anderson, Keammar Daley, and Darren Mattocks in particular did not show up.

But also importantly, some local-based players in particular showed timidity and lacked a sense of belonging, which combined with all the other negative factors, resulted in Jamaica playing perhaps the worst football in the tournament, scoring one goal and conceding three. They are the only team not to have won a game.

Martinique, the group winners, runners-up Cuba, and even the eliminated French Guiana showed superior organisation and technical astuteness, with Jamaica shamefully lacking in both areas.

Missing out on the Gold Cup, argued Montesso, will indeed impact on the technical programme going forward.

"I think it will affect us a lot because it's important to have every opportunity to get the team together and play, this is something we really desire. I believe now we will have to get some games to get the team together.

"We went to the UK and we met some players there and we want to see how early we can get them before so we can get some chemistry with the team... we have to now spend time discussing, looking at what we have and what we can put together," he said.

In today's semi-final, Martinique are down to face Group A runners-up Trinidad and Tobago, while Cuba take on Haiti.

Full squad: Duwayne Kerr, Dwayne Miller, Jacomeno Barrett, Shavar Thomas, Alvas Powell, Montrose Phinn, Dicoy Williams, Lovel Palmer, Demar Phillips, Ricardo Gardner, Andrae Campbell, Xavian Virgo, Rohan Reid, Jermaine Hue, Keammar Daley, Jason Morrison, Lamar Nelson, Tramaine Stewart, Jermaine Anderson, Ryan Johnson, Omar Cummings, Darren Mattocks, and Ewan Grandison.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2F5GrW4B3
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Cho, anyone who thinks Tappa can take us to the world cup is delusional.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I wonder who is responsible for the development of local players,I thought it was the JFF.
        Didn't he fire that Brazilian coach Olisomething in a tactless manner for similar results?He sure blamed the coach at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
          Guess I am delusional!!! ...and happy with it!
          Hopefully...see you in Brazil 2014!

Comment

Can he coach a Team to beat the USA ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Fully agree Hortical-one.

The support for Tappa is based solely on fondness and the fact that he is a local coaching product.

The recent CFU loss is simply poor coaching. I have seen it before in the last Gold cup. Jamaica into the HEX was pure luck.

Tappa must go. Burrell knows this!
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
              X