• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raheem Stirling agrees new contract

Sterling work! Raheem agrees new and improved five-year contract at Anfield

By Sami Mokbel
    PUBLISHED:22:01, 19 December 2012| UPDATED:08:41, 20 December 2012
    England whizzkid Raheem Sterling has ended speculation regarding his future by agreeing a new contract with Liverpool.

The 18-year-old winger has been in negotiations with the Anfield club for weeks over a new deal.

And Sportsmail understands both parties have shaken hands on a deal for Sterling to stay with the Merseysiders for the next five years.

Sign of the times: Sterling has agreed the terms of a new deal at Liverpool

Sterling currently earns in the region of £2,000-per-week, but his new deal will net him a substantial pay increase to a wage believed to be in the region of £40,000 a week.

The Jamaican-born forward has just 18 months left to run on his existing contract and ensuring the teenage sensation penned an extension was a top priority for the club.

And after several meetings between managing director Ian Ayre and Sterling's representatives the England international can now concentrate on establishing himself as a key member of Brendan Rodgers' plans.

A number of the Premier League's elite were lining up to take advantage of the uncertainty regarding Sterling's future next month.

Both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Chelsea have watched Sterling extensively with a view to swooping for the forward in January.

Sterling, who started his career at Queens Park Rangers, has made rapid progress for Liverpool since breaking into the first team under Kenny Dalglish last season.

And his impressive breakthrough culminated in his first England cap, as he started in the defeat against Sweden last month.

However, he is still eligible to play for his native Jamaica given he has not played for the Three Lions in a competitive fixture yet.

Exciting duture: Sterling is at the heart of Rodgers future plans

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2FaCjgwpp
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

phew !
    Peter R

Comment

40,000 quid? Wonder if him know him can get a better deal at a better team?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That is more than enough for a teenager!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
          A teen player almost every game?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, he must be given a break soon or else he will be finished by 25. I think Rogers knows that but he haven't got a lot of options at the moment.

Comment

Is he worth more? ...if he is then the free market may offer more.

Aside: I am shocked that that 2000 quid per week appears to have been accurate. Today? ...the EPL paying a low of 104 thousand/per annum?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Is he worth more? ...if he is then the free market may offer more.

Aside: I am shocked that that 2000 quid per week appears to have been accurate. Today? ...the EPL paying a low of 104 thousand/per annum?
                Yes £2,000 per week is correct for the type of contract he was on. Young players are not allowed to sign a proper contract until their 18th birthday.

Comment

Wish him all the best. He's at a dead-end club, but at least he's guaranteed first team plays which he wouldn't be getting at any other club.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

good. Hope he is guided properly and is not overused. That is my only concern.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                      With two kids to support??
                      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                      - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                        With two kids to support??
                        Zeppo like some people lose touch with reality when they see big numbers ... you couldn't mind two kids on over $120,000 US per year ?...
                        Peter R

Comment

Him must be taking Baby Mamas's demand in consideration as well
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                            Wish him all the best. He's at a dead-end club, but at least he's guaranteed first team plays which he wouldn't be getting at any other club.
                            Mighty big of you to wish a Liverpool player best wishes but then you had to spoil it by insulting the man's club and call it "dead-end" and then you actually state it's the only club that would reward his ability by giving him a starting role ?! I swear you Manurians are schizoid... tek dat!
                            Peter R

Comment

What conversion rate yuh using ?

Comment

Working...
                              X