• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF tightens up

JFF tightens up
    ... Kicks off rationalisation process for local game
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012

RAYMOND Grant says the proposed broad-based restructuring of the nation's football is in no way targeting any specific group, but is designed to achieve wholesale revamping in the long-term interest of the sport.

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has undertaken a robust but "inclusive process" of rationalising the current football stock to ensure in the long run that its structures from the ground up will serve the long-term interest of the local game.

Since the governing body opened discussions on the matter, some individuals associated with the sport have opposed the new proposals that, in part, seek to merge clubs and local associations and a general realignment of a structure that is untenable and burdensome for a country this size which is lacking an authentic football culture.

"There is a myth out there that the restructuring programme is geared towards restructuring the Premier League, and that is absolutely not so... the board of directors have charged the Technical Committee to come up with a programme of restructuring, and this includes the restructuring of football islandwide to include basic schools, primary schools, high schools, various leagues in the parishes — and of course the Premier League being one of them — and all competitions played in Jamaica," said Grant, the new JFF general secretary.

The former president of the Portland FA said it is a reasonable view that the country lacks the resources to bear the burden of the present formation that includes about 500 clubs, believed to be too numerous for the demographics of a small country like Jamaica.

"It's the view of the populace that we don't currently have the level of resources — be it financial, human or infrastructural — to carry the programme in the direction the football should go. Therefore the restructuring highlighted all the various support the football will require... whether it will be referees, coaches, infrastructure, human re-sources and of course financial resources," said Horace Reid's successor in a Jamaica Observer exclusive.

Grant, who recently resigned as vice-chairman of the Howard McIntosh-led JFF Technical and Develop-ment Committee, the body spearheading the exercise, said stakeholders at every level will be engaged in the process until a fine-tuned and rational alternative has been settled on.

"We have gone through the parishes and there are other stakeholders we will be sitting with. Having concluded the parishes, we have met with the Confederations also...

"We have already met with ISSA, and very shortly we will be meeting with JISA and Intercol; the government; members of the media fraternity, and all the various stakeholders.

"After completing that first phase, we will be having some public fora — at least one in [each of] the four Confederations for the next couple of months, after which we will compile a report, take it to the JFF board of directors, and they would instruct us how we proceed thereafter," said Grant on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Portland native says while the federation is largely pleased with the quality of players the local leagues are churning out, there is still a lingering concern.

"The local leagues are producing; it is the consistency of the performances that concerns us... You would recall that many of the players overseas now graduated through our local leagues and, therefore, we must have been doing something good for these clubs outside Jamaica to be scouting from our local competition, so that is a plus.

"Our concern is that when we pull directly from our local leagues, the consistency from the players is of concern and it is something that the (relevant) committees in the federation will have to review as it relates to whether or not we are getting value... We will also be having discussions with the PLCA (in this regard)," outlined the 36-year-old engineer.

Even as the local competitions are producing players for the professional overseas markets, too often many have failed to measure up when given a shot in the national set-up, as was evidenced in the Reggae Boyz's pitiful performance at the CFU Caribbean Championship in Antigua and Barbuda recently.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2G1mglCVU

BLACK LIVES MATTER

A few concerns:

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    RAYMOND Grant says the proposed broad-based restructuring of the nation's football is in no way targeting any specific group, but is designed to achieve wholesale revamping in the long-term interest of the sport.
    Who is Raymond Grant? In the entire article, the author did not see it necessary to tell us who this man is.

We will also be having discussions with the PLCA (in this regard)," outlined the 36-year-old engineer.
    And why is his profession as an engineer important?

Even as the local competitions are producing players for the professional overseas markets, too often many have failed to measure up when given a shot in the national set-up, as was evidenced in the Reggae Boyz's pitiful performance at the CFU Caribbean Championship in Antigua and Barbuda recently.
    So, if the players are good enough to pick up contracts overseas, and perform creditably while there, I might add, then what is happening when they are given a shot in the national set-up? The answer seems rather simple to me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You Jamaican writers.

You just don't believe in simplicity in getting your point across.

I see examples of this quite often on this forum. By the time you are finished reading some posts-- one is twisted into knots.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

HL why yuh attacking me bredrin Karl?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

...well there are 2 other names that i would place ahead of King Karl.

I'll name them shortly.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Oooh... dis sound excitin'!!

Cyaan wait fi dis yah chain release
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

mosiah I have a beef with you. whats your take on the current crop in high school.. mi watch some games pon ceen and these kids are going to have problems.. aS a matter of fact i think the competition has gotten in the way of coaching the players properly.. I dont think i saw a team make 4 consecutive passes or switch play.. basic stuff. In one game it was volleball without the nets in the middle something needs to be done...

Comment

So, why the beef? Mi ever tell anybody dat schoolboy football is the shizzle?!?

Years ago a took a Serbian scout around the island where we looked at football matches from various leagues and age groups. He went to one match and asked me never to take him to another schoolboy match in Jamaica. He said it was clear that winning was the important thing and not football. He said the boys demonstrated speed, strength, fitness and little else. And to make it worse, I think the 2 teams were Munro and STETHS. He was able to pick out a couple players he thought had tremendous potential, however.

On the other hand, he was impressed with younger players (U16) attached to a couple local clubs.

So, wi nuh have nuh beef. This season, even while saying I need to see more of our young players, I only went to one daCosta Cup match. It wasn't too bad, to be honest!

But for the most part, mi nuh have nuh time fi waste!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Phoenix Academy?

Comment

And others.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Regarding the first concern the writer waits until the end of paragraph four to say that Grant is the new JFF general secretary, and the beginning of the fifth to say (we assume it's Grant he's speaking about) is a former Portland FA president... (I know you saw all that but you are correct, why wait til then to identify the man??)

I guess the engineer reference is to give the man some credentials of some sort... who knows?

And when push comes to shove, put all the blame on the players?
                      Peter R

Comment

Working...
                      X