• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General secretary says Boyz CFU blunder scars programme

General secretary says Boyz CFU blunder scars programme
    BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant sport editor
    Monday, December 24, 2012

NEW general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Raymond Grant, concedes that the Reggae Boyz's wretched per-formance at the just-concluded CFU Caribbean Championship in Antigua and Barbuda has "placed a dent" in the programme going forward.

Jamaica, the back-to-back defending champions and undisputed favourites entering the December 7-16 tournament, were eliminated at the preliminary stage after humiliating losses to French Guiana (2-1) and Cuba (1-0). The Boyz only managed a point in a goal-less draw with Martinique to finish at the bottom of the entire competition.

GRANT... there’s a need for a level of introspection by all
    1/2

Cuba went on to win the championship by defeating Trinidad & Tobago, 1-0, in extra time at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground last week Sunday.
    But to add insult to injury, not only did the results not favour Jamaica, the team played the worst football in the eight-nation competition — uncharacteristically lacking tactically shape, organisation, fitness and an apparent lack of desire.

"While some will argue that Jamaica don't have the given right to win a competition or even to advance, I guess one will agree that not advancing to the CONCACAF Gold Cup, and by extension, not advancing to the semi-finals of the Caribbean Championship, has placed a dent in our programme and also eroded some of the confidence," Grant told the Jamaica Observer in an exclusive interview on Thursday.

He urged Jamaicans on the whole, and the private sector in particular, not to lose hope in the team as a process has been initiated to fix what has been broken.

"In the game of football when results are not favourable, then the adminis-trative and technical staff, along with the players, must work twice as hard to ensure that what is lost is rebuilt, and that's the process that we are going through now.

"There's a need for a level of introspection by all and, therefore, the levels of meetings that we have been having over the last week or so are part of the process to ensure that we rebuild the confidence of players, staff and the wider public," Grant said.

In response to the fiasco, JFF President Captain Horace Burrell's reaction was one of pain, and true to his style, he immediately sought to get to the bottom of the matter by ordering a technical review.

"The technical committee, which is charged with that responsibility, is currently compiling a report, and as soon as that report is complete, then the president will be given a copy and then he will take it from there to see if there is need for any form of re-enforcement for the technical staff, or there is no need, or to see if the technical staff is competent to take us forward," noted Grant.

Burrell has since publicly stated that the job of head coach Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore was safe, but hinted that action could be taken against others along the technical ranks. Still, any decision will hinge on the outcome of the Technical and Development Committee review process that is said to
    be ongoing.

Meanwhile, Grant said the JFF is continuously looking at ways to improve its operations across all its planks, but the process is sometimes hampered by an abrasive economic reality.

"Administratively, there is need for improvement in terms of the injection of added personnel within the marketing department, our referees department, and the finance department needs a bit of strengthening also.

"But while these are added ingredients that are needed in the administrative arm of the federation, the financial climate does not lend itself for us to make such inclusion at this time," he noted.

With a huge debt and a severe cash flow problem, the JFF over recent years has had to make drastic staff rationalisation decisions that has seen the organisation functioning with a skeletal staff, with many of the workers volunteers.

"I believe it's an excellent staff; a very committed one and one which I am committed to work with for the greater good of the sport," ended Grant, who holds a bachelor of science degree in engineering and management.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2G1oU8Byz

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    "I believe it's an excellent staff; a very committed one and one which I am committed to work with for the greater good of the sport," ended Grant, who holds a bachelor of science degree in engineering and management.
    We cannot write an article without mentioning this man's engineering background. Are we in such awe of an engineer becoming the general secretary of the JFF?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I often wonder if this the writer's fault or the subject's insistence that their irrelevant qualifications be mentioned. Witness the insistence of PHDs that they be addressed as 'doctor'.

Comment

Raymond Grant's engineering degree cannot help him any more in his position as general secretary of the JFF any more than Crenston Boxhill's motor vehicle examiner experience helped him when he was president of the JFF.

It is our preoccupation of persons with degrees that causes this, combined with an inability to just say something different. How often did we use to hear about that much travelled coach Bora Milutinovic? And how often did we have to hear about Horace being a captain in the army before we stopped mentioning it?

The laziness carries over into the picture these guys put up in their newspapers. Allan Ottey, who left St. James High eons ago, is seen in today's Observer in his Pepsi schoolboy gear for an article referring to the goal he scored for Mobay United!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have a few friends that are employed in leadership positions that have nothing to do with their degrees,I asked how could that be a they say once you have a degree(Phd) you have demonstrated the ability to not only learn things but master those things too.So you know me, I just start talking about my old football injury(playing scrimmage barefooted on asphalt and chipping a part of my little toe,as to which one I can't recall)and asked them to fix it.
          No assistance was received.

Comment

I have an architecture degree. I have never designed nor built anything since leaving school.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lie, yuh design and built your lucrative agent business,lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                Lie, yuh design and built your lucrative agent business,lol.
                ...oh yes! ok!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  I have an architecture degree. I have never designed nor built anything since leaving school.
                  Therein lies a part of using your qualifications in Jamaica.

Some places like Jamaica, your qualifications only serve to get you to the top of the food chain. In other places, it is a demonstration that you have achieved a certain level of knowledge and competence and when combined with experience in the field will open the doors for you to take on certain industry specific challenges.

As one of my college professors advised me when I was in college (he is Jamaican too), I was not there only to get a piece of paper, but to get an education. Most times Jamaicans see their degrees as a piece of paper which will form the stepping stone for landing that upper management job.

Everyday I design and build things. Thanks to my education and not living in Jamaica.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                  X