Sterling eyes place in Hodgson's starting XI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling eyes place in Hodgson's starting XI

Sterling eyes place in Hodgson's starting XI after committing international future to England
    By DOMINIC KING
    PUBLISHED: 17:02 EST, 25 December 2012 | UPDATED: 17:02 EST, 25 December 2012
    Comments (4)

Raheem Sterling has pledged his international future to England and is determined to cement his place in Roy Hodgson’s squad by firing Liverpool’s push for the top four.
    The Liverpool winger, who last week ended speculation about his club future by signing a five-year deal, won his first senior cap in the 4-2 defeat against Sweden last month and has represented England at every level from Under-16 onwards.
    Sterling’s appearance in Stockholm, though, had not erased the possibility of him opting to pursue an international career with Jamaica – where he was born and the country where he lived until he was six – and the President of the Jamaican FA, Horace Burrell, held talks with him in October.

England man: Raheem Sterling has committed his international future to Roy Hodgson's Three Lions
    However, Sterling has revealed he will not be abandoning England, as he feels a debt of gratitude to the football system in which he has grown up. The 18-year-old can now expect to be given plenty more opportunities under Hodgson on the road to the 2014 World Cup.
    'It was a dream come true (to play against Sweden),’ said Sterling. ‘As a 15-year-old I can remember sitting at home and praying to get an Under 16 call up, so to be getting a senior call-up a few years later was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
    'I want to keep driving on and do a bit more. Obviously I’ve got Jamaican roots but no-one tried to put any pressure on me, which was the good thing. But I couldn’t turn my back on England because I’ve grown up through the English youth system and progressed from there.

New deal: Sterling has signed a new long term deal at Liverpool
    'I couldn’t just switch over. So it was a good thing for me to be called up and make my debut. It’s 100 per cent going to be England from now on.’ This has been a whirlwind season for one with such a precocious talent and, in the space of five months, Sterling has gone from being an unheralded reserve to one of the most important players in Liverpool’s squad. His rise was reflected in the lucrative contract he signed last Friday.
    Given all the talk that surrounded contract discussions, there has been a perception that Sterling is a cocky young man but that is far removed from the truth; his team-mates tell of him being humble, grounded and eager to learn. Sterling puts that down to the influence of his mother, Nadine.

Making an impact: Sterling burst onto the scene at Liverpool this season

'The contract was never about finance,’ said Sterling, who is expected to return to Liverpool’s starting line-up at Stoke this evening. ‘I just really wanted to get the contract sorted. When people were asking why I wasn’t signing it was at a time when we hadn’t even started negotiating
    'Will I get distracted? No. I’ve got a good mum who always looks after me and helps me to keep my head down so that’s good. It’s obviously good that my mum has moved up here with my brothers and sisters because it’s a good feeling to be with your family.’
    It isn’t just with off the field matters that mother knows best. Sterling has only scored one goal in 26 appearances for Liverpool this year and the statistic has been noted, both in the manager’s office at Anfield and at home.
    'Mum wouldn’t let my feet get off the ground,’ explained Sterling, who moved to Liverpool from QPR in February 2010. ‘She thinks she knows a lot about football. She tries to tell me what I can do better.
    'Some of the things the manager is telling me she is telling me as well, like about getting into the box. She says: “You’re never in the box!” but she must have a point because the manager is saying it as well!’ I really need to kick on in the New Year and show the fans and the club what I can do.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2G7M7Wlcj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It may come back to bite him but good luck
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I would be surprised if he makes the England World Cup team.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

interesting.. so he thinks he will start over Chamberlain. walcott and lennon , sturrrige, and downning.. well maybe downing..??? ok..dont read your own headlines kid..

Comment

He's better than Walcott. He may the edge England needs in this WC; hes young and fearless (with very good one on one skills)

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
            He's better than Walcott. He may the edge England needs in this WC; hes young and fearless (with very good one on one skills)
            He will be the English team's "youngster" at the WC, like Walcott was in Germany. He may not see much play, but he'll be in the team as their designated development candidate...but...we all know what happened to Walcott in 2010; so RS has to be careful.
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

I think he will have an impact at the WC. As I said he is better than Walcott.

Comment

Working...
              X