Goodison back to lift shaky Rovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodison back to lift shaky Rovers

Goodison back to lift shaky Rovers<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=headerTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><P class=headtypea></TD></TR><TR><TD><P class=headtypea></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><P class=headtypeb>by Nick Hilton, Liverpool Echo</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><P class=headtypea align=right><P align=right><P class=headtypea align=left>MANAGER Ronnie Moore is ready to shake up Tranmere's leaky defence for the must-win trip to Blackpool on Saturday.<P class=headtypea align=left>Rovers' prospects of staying in the race for a play-off spot may well depend upon them winning at Bloomfield Road.<P class=headtypea align=left>But they head for the seaside with an unenviable record of conceding two goals in each of the last four games, the most recent of them a damaging 2-0 home defeat to Carlisle last Friday.<P class=headtypea align=left>Moore has a rare opportunity to make selections out of preference rather than necessity as skipper Ian Goodison returns from suspension and John Thompson nears recovery from a medial ligament injury.<DIV class=center id=mpuad style="DISPLAY: none"><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript></SCRIPT></DIV><A name=story_continue></A><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><P class=headtypea align=left>Irish international Thompson may be asked to test his fitness in a Pontin's League game against Blackpool reserves tomorrow night after seven weeks on the sidelines.<P class=headtypea align=left>Moore said: "I have defensive options for the first time in a long time. It puts a little bit of pressure on the back four which is good because we have not been performing well as a unit. We have made individual errors which cost us dear.<P class=headtypea align=left>"The four defenders who played against Carlisle last Friday are under pressure because one of them is going to come out for Goodison and two may come out if Thompson plays."<P class=headtypea align=left>Moore added: "I may give John 60 minutes in the reserves on Wednesday to see if he is okay and happy in his own mind. He has not done a lot of long kicking which can be an issue with a medial ligament."<P class=headtypea align=left>Moore admits Goodison played when less than fully fit in recent weeks, but insists the Jamaican international centre back is now completely clear of injury problems.<P class=headtypea align=left>"Ian played in games when no-one else would play and gave his all for the cause," Moore said. "Sometimes we were better off with a half-fit Goodison than playing people out of position.<P class=headtypea align=left>"You saw what happened at Leyton Orient when we put a centre forward and a midfield player in at centre half and right back.<P class=headtypea align=left>"Ian is fine now. We want him back because he leads by example to the rest."<P class=headtypea align=left>Rovers aim to cut the deficit on sixth place Blackpool from six points to three on Saturday to keep the promotion flame flickering.<P class=headtypea align=left>"Blackpool was always going to be the big game for us and if we win it will give ourselves a shout," Moore said.<P class=headtypea align=left>"The fact that we are playing them and not someone else gives us the chance to do something about our position.<P class=headtypea align=left>"If we lose and there is a nine-point gap that is going to be very difficult to claw back. But we will be going there to be positive."</TD></TR></TBODY></TA
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Goodison back to lift shaky Rovers

Now here is a veteran player that I could be considered for a recall to the national side. Even at his age he is at the top of his game. The silence for his recall to the national side, however, is deafening.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Well Jangle....I did the Onandi Lowe poll and one thing that it showed was that the vast majority of forumites did not buy into the idea that his advanced age should exclude him from consideration for the Boyz. So if I was to try and infer from my highly scientific poll (Mosiah &amp; stats 3:16) I would suggest that it would not be an issue if Goodison was recalled.

On a personal note I am just proud of the way Ian Goodison has gone on quietly with his career still doing it ata goodlevel in England. Eventhough long in the tooth he still gets it done.If we are going to put a statue of Whitmore up we might have to seriously consider putting one of Goodison as well. - T.K.

Comment

<DIV>"Even at his age he is at the top of his game" - how does Jangle know this? </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>If yuh good, and better than what's available, sure, dem deserve a call up. But just playing in an obscure league does not ensure one's game in the big side.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (4/4/2007)<DIV>"Even at his age he is at the top of his game" - how does Jangle know this? </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>If yuh good, and better than what's available, sure, dem deserve a call up. But just playing in an obscure league does not ensure one's game in the big side.</DIV>
          Well I respectfully disagree that he is at the top of his game. But he has carved out a really nice career for himself and when he looks back he can be proud he took advantage of all the opportunities presented to him. A consumate professional. I believeunder the circumstances Ian Goodison has maxed his potential and that is all we can ask of a player.As for big side? Is what big side yu talking? Don't make me have to bring up Panama and the 2004 debacle. - T.K.

Comment

Over-hyped ballers like Keith Kelly could learn a thing or two about work ethic. Pepe Goodison should seriously consider coaching, once he retires from football. He has a lot to offer to ballers in Ja.

He should be offered a leading role in the academy, when it is built in 2011.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
            X